• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

ESPN Rebuttal

ESPN RIPS THE BILLS

We haven't watched many of the "On the Clock" segments that have been aired on SportsCenter over the past few weeks. Primarily because we rarely watch SportsCenter.Primarily because SportsCenter has become unwatchable for anyone older than 15 who has an IQ higher than 16. But we saw Sunday's "On the Clock" feature regarding the Buffalo Bills, and we were shocked at how mercilessly Chris Mortensen, Darren Woodson, and Mel Kiper Jr. trashed the franchise.

They focused primarily on the fact that four veterans are now gone -- running back Willis McGahee, linebacker London Fletcher-Baker-Robbins-Oppenheim-and-Taft, cornerback Nate Clements, and linebacker Takeo Spikes. And the trio suggested that the franchise is merely cutting payroll, possibly in advance of a sale of the team.
    But they completely ignored the fact that the Bills paid big money to defensive end Chris Kelsay and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery.

In our view, the piece was fully out of balance, and we were shocked that none of those three guys presented a more accurate view of the team.

First of all, McGahee was moved because McGahee wanted out. Destined to be a free agent in 2008, the Bills got what they could for him now, which was a package including two first-day picks. Though they might have been able to get Clements to take Derrick Dockery money in the fall of 2006, we can't fault the Bills for not getting into the overbidding for Clements in March. He is a solid corner but no Champ Bailey. The Niners clearly overpaid. As to the two linebackers who aren't there anymore, well, they're both on the old side -- and Spikes possibly is on the down side.

Getting dissed is fine and dandy for the Bills. It's always better to be among the overlooked NFL franchises, since it's easier to catch the teams that are supposed to be "better" on paper off guard. Depending on whether they can get a top-notch tailback in round one, we think the Bills will be a factor in 2007. Even if the guys at ESPN are ready to write them off.

Then again, it was Mel Kiper who suggested prior to the 2001 season that the Patriots could be the first team in NFL history to go 0-16. Mel was only a little bit off in his assessment.
    Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

You know this article aside these guys have become more credible by the minute, I love the way they call out ESPN's Len P and other writers for plagerism and thier horrible writing.

http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • feelthepain
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: ESPN Rebuttal

But they completely ignored the fact that the Bills paid big money to defensive end Chris Kelsay and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery.

They didn't ignore this, they talked about Dockey saying he was an improvement to the Bills. They also talked about the Bills having a good coaching staff. They think a Good draft for the Bills would be Patrick Willis in the first round and Antonio Pittman in the second.

As much as Bill fans hate to admit it, losing the talent they lost will hurt, quite a bit. You Bill fans blame WM production on his attitude and not the weak Oline, but then talk about how much better the Bills will be with the addition of Dockery and Langston Walker. A little two faced if you ask me. You ignore the importance of Fletchers leadership like it's not important. You ignore the fact that Clements was your best corner and then you claim Spikes was washed up. Do you notice how every player wasn't a loss?? Every player that's gone was the problem? Ecery year it's the same with Bill fans, whomever leaves was the problem. I think it's just plain stupid to think those players weren't important to your team. You didn't lose 4 backups you lost 4 starters. Also don't use the "well we weren't very good with them" excuse, do you honestly think your backups are the ones that played well and your starters were the problem?? I think the Bills repot on ESPN was a good report and it was accurate.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
      • Mar 2005

People concern themselves way too much with what the media says. WAY TOO MUCH!!

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by feelthepain
        As much as Bill fans hate to admit it, losing the talent they lost will hurt, quite a bit. You Bill fans blame WM production on his attitude and not the weak Oline, but then talk about how much better the Bills will be with the addition of Dockery and Langston Walker. A little two faced if you ask me. You ignore the importance of Fletchers leadership like it's not important. You ignore the fact that Clements was your best corner and then you claim Spikes was washed up. Do you notice how every player wasn't a loss?? Every player that's gone was the problem? Ecery year it's the same with Bill fans, whomever leaves was the problem. I think it's just plain stupid to think those players weren't important to your team. You didn't lose 4 backups you lost 4 starters. Also don't use the "well we weren't very good with them" excuse, do you honestly think your backups are the ones that played well and your starters were the problem?? I think the Bills repot on ESPN was a good report and it was accurate.
        Of course you think its accurate your a fin fan, you hate the bills. As much as you bash Bills fans for not being objective your at the very least just as bad.

At any rate to some degree you are right, I dont doubt one bit losing the players we did over the course of a single offseason will hurt. Personally I think signing Walker was a mistake but I guess time will tell on that one.

Dockery I admit we over paid for, but eh....everyone overpaid. He makes our team better.

Willis is the only FA we lost that I was happy to see go, apart from his attitude, general football ineptitude, and apparent fondness for knocking women up he added nothing to this team except 2 games a year where he ran all over the jets. 990 yards? Please. Ill take 2 first day picks anyday for that scrub.

Yes its hurts, and yes that leadership void may be a problem. Our D was ranked what 28th? WTF is going to happen? we get worse? lol.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

It's rather astounding how ESPN has taken a negative stance against the Bills, ever since the firing of TD. I know TD had many friends at ESPN but it's almost become a mob mentality at Bristol.

Criticism is justified when presented correctly but just dropping known names ( Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee ) as key losses without explaining their limited impact last season is either not knowing the Bills or pushing an agenda. Either way, their credibility is gone with me.

The NFL Network is very balanced in their view of the Bills and have tried to see our roster as one that needed to improve. They liked our OL signings, understood the Spikes,Fletcher moves and are giving us a chance.

One Draft day,why would any Bills fan who can get the NFL Network watch the ESPN coverage ? The NFL Network all the way.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
            People concern themselves way too much with what the media says. WAY TOO MUCH!!
            I agree. These are the same IDIOTS who picked the fins to go to the sb last year and the jets to finish at the bottom of the league.

"saban is building something special down is So. Fla"

I acutally like it when they diss the bills. That would make us underdogs and make them even look more the ******s. Seriously guys, just watch NFLN. They are also a little bit off at times but at least they are better than ESPN. Even Pacman jones has already had more air time than the entire bills org itself.
            Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Devin
              [LEFT]

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

You know this article aside these guys have become more credible by the minute, I love the way they call out ESPN's Len P and other writers for plagerism and thier horrible writing.

I agree. This offseason I've been reading their rumor mill stuff a lot more than ever before. They've routinely be the ones breaking the news before anyone else. The site is getting very good and credible.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

we definitely have some holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball but we're not in any danger of the #1 overall draft pick for 08.mort,woodson,and kiper have their opinions and we have ours.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• B-DON
                  hi
                  • Mar 2004

Someone should pay attention to mayocks and kipers draft predictions this year and figure out how bad kiper really blows.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Melvin Kiper is a freakin' tool. He is an embarassment to ESPN, but then agian, they do a good job of that without the cockbag.

Comment

• thecoordinator
                      • Sep 2005

Do you notice how every player wasn't a loss?? Every player that's gone was the problem? Every year it's the same with Bill fans, whomever leaves was the problem.
                      amen, brother. whether it's a coach or player, it's the same song and dance from buffalo fans every offseason. the subtractions were bums and the additions are studs.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

A little two faced if you ask me.

you'd be the last person on earth that we'd ever ask and the last finfan your fellow finfans here would ever ask.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• realdealryan
                          realdealrex
                          • Nov 2005

Who cares?

ESPN.com from 2006:

"Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com forecast a Super Bowl of Dallas over Cincinnati; neither won a playoff game. Mort predicted New Orleans would be the league's worst team at 2-14; the Saints reached the NFC championship. "The Bengals won't just tear it up offensively, their defense will play at a higher level," Mortensen wrote; Cincinnati finished 30th on defense."

"Six of the top 10 teams in last June's ESPN.com's 2006 power rankings failed to make the playoffs. Last July, "SportsCenter" had football pundits Mike Golic, Sean Salisbury and Mark Schlereth spend a week producing an elaborate complete-season forecast. Their predicted Super Bowl winner? The Carolina Panthers, who failed to make the playoffs. They forecast Indianapolis would lose in the first round of the playoffs, while the Redskins, whose actual finish was 5-11, would be the league's third-best team. Four of the group's predicted postseason entrants (Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh and Washington) failed to achieve a winning record."

and the kicker

"Pete Prisco wrote that acquiring Culpepper made Miami "a legitimate Super Bowl threat."

it's APRIL!!!

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Nice!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

Profootballtalk rocks! I know a lot of people here still wrongly associate them as some kind of National Enquirer rag but if they'd take another look at the site and read it with an open mind they'd be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X