PDA

View Full Version : The French Connection was a line for the ages

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2007, 07:52 PM
This season's edition of the Buffalo Sabres boasts four players with 30 or more goals – Daniel Briere, Thomas Vanek, Chris Drury and Jason Pominville. But even these outstanding players would have a hard time keeping pace with the Sabres' "French Connection" line.

Joe Crozier, the former coach of the Buffalo Sabres, has quite the litany of memories surrounding Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and Rene Robert.
“Perreault, Martin and Robert were like magic together. And they could perform like magic on the ice. They could bring fans out of their seats in Buffalo like no other line I’ve ever seen in the Aud. And there were times that you almost had to drag them off the ice during a game. I don’t think they realized how long they were out there sometimes because they were having so much fun.”

That is how Crozier remembered the famed French Connection line. The trio was one of the highest scoring lines in NHL history.

Crozier knew them better than anyone because he is the guy who put them together in the first place. It was March 1972, 35 years ago, that Crozier united the threesome together for the first time.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=298604

Mitchy moo
04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Unlike then, we have a more diversified talent base now.

YardRat
04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Nice find, Doc.

One of the greatest lines the NHL has ever seen.

Ebenezer
04-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I was lucky enough to get to go to one game during the 74-75 season...not all the games were on TV back then and getting to see Perreault free wheel was incredible.

and I have to disagree, that team may have had MORE overall talent than this year's. Back then they used to only dress 16 skaters. The top three lines used to play 20 minutes a game...I'll bet the Connection played 25+ minutes a night. They had six 30 goal scorers and three more 20 goal scorers. Eleven players scored more than 40 points.

more stats:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000331975.html