X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzo1105
    • Jul 2002

Smarter to take the RB in rd 1

I was just thinking, and I know that everyone hopes Willis falls to pick 12 and I really love Patrick Willis myself but it would be much smarter to take Lynch in the 1st round than to take Willis. The dropoff from Lynch to the 3rd RB, whoever it might be, is much bigger than Patrick Willis to even the 4th or 5th LB. There are great LB prospects to be had in the 2nd round while the best 2nd Rd RB would be probably Antonion Pittman. Rufus Alexander, Jon Beason, Timmons, Poz are all good LB prospects that could be selected either later in the 1st round after a trade up or in the 2nd round. I love Pat Willis but the best way to go is to take the RB in the 1st round

Option A.
    Willis and Pittman

Option B.
    Lynch and Beason, Alexander, Timmons, Poz

I'd go with option B myself.
  • streetkings01
    • Jul 2006

Re: Smarter to take the RB in rd 1

Originally posted by gonzo1105
    I was just thinking, and I know that everyone hopes Willis falls to pick 12 and I really love Patrick Willis myself but it would be much smarter to take Lynch in the 1st round than to take Willis. The dropoff from Lynch to the 3rd RB, whoever it might be, is much bigger than Patrick Willis to even the 4th or 5th LB. There are great LB prospects to be had in the 2nd round while the best 2nd Rd RB would be probably Antonion Pittman. Rufus Alexander, Jon Beason, Timmons, Poz are all good LB prospects that could be selected either later in the 1st round after a trade up or in the 2nd round. I love Pat Willis but the best way to go is to take the RB in the 1st round

Option A.
    Willis and Pittman

Option B.
    Lynch and Beason, Alexander, Timmons, Poz

I'd go with option B myself.
    The only way Option B plays itself out is if we trade back into the 1st RD. Dont let Mel Kipers mock draft fool you, none of those LB's will fall out of the 1st RD. There are too many teams in the 1st RD(Bills,Panthers,Bengals,Colts,Giants,Rams) that need a LB. If Willis is available you take him and draft a RB like Pittman, Irons, Booker, Jackson, or Wright in the 2nd - 3rd RD.
    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I disagree. I think the dropoff between Willis and the next crop of LB's (Timmons, Pos, Beason) is much greater than the dropoff from Lynch to next crop (Pittman, Irons, Henry)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I disagree. I think the dropoff between Willis and the next crop of LB's (Timmons, Pos, Beason) is much greater than the dropoff from Lynch to next crop (Pittman, Irons, Henry)
        I pretty much posted this. Willis is as sure a thing as we can get at anyone position.

We need to get Turner with our 2nd rounder and take Willis in the first. Period.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Im really starting to think SD isnt going to part with Turner for just a straight up second, the more likely scenario will be to draft Pittman or Irons.

Lets just hope Willis is on the board and we dont get stuck taking the "next" best LB at 12; like Pos or Timmons

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

It's not just the dropoffs among rookies that's the issue (and I think the draft is deeper at RB than LB); you have to consider who we have at those positions, and the nature of the positions. I'm comfortable with a lesser rookie platooning with A-Train, and if we can get Turner, that's the best-case scenario. But at LB, we need the closest thing to a sure Day 1, full-time starter as you can get (realizing that there are never any guarantees anywhere). Plus, it'll be easier for a rookie to do well at RB than at LB.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
            X