PDA

View Full Version : Jets looking at Pats RFA Randall Gay

Ickybaluky
04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
The Jets are bringing in (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/04/09/cornerback_gay_to_visit_jets/) Patriots RFA CB Randall Gay for a visit.

Gay started for the Pats at CB during his rookie season in 2004 and played very well, but has been injured the last 2 seasons. He is a solid coverguy, and with the Samuel situation he becomes more important to the Pats in 2007. As a RFA he is tendered at the 2nd round level ($1.3M).

I am a little suprised by the Jets interest, although it makes sense given Eric Mangini's background with NE and the fact they may see it as a way to make the Pats weaker given the Samuel situation. However, while Gay is a good player, he also is a thin, lanky guy who has had injury problems dating back to LSU. Given the questions about his durability, I figured he would have to prove himself this year before hitting FA next season.

This could be a good move by the Jets. A healthy Gay is a starting-caliber CB and they could make it impossible for the Pats to match if they sign him to a poison pill contract. The Pats would likely have to use the 2nd round pick they would get in return to replace him, or draft a S and move Eugene Wilson to CB. Either way, it would mean they would have younger players in the secondary and more questions in the back-end of their defense.

DraftBoy
04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Interesting move, not sure the Jets are in the posistion to be giving away draft picks are question marks esp when there are good CB's to be had in the 2nd Round.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Interesting move, not sure the Jets are in the posistion to be giving away draft picks are question marks esp when there are good CB's to be had in the 2nd Round.

When healthy Gay is a proven CB. He started for a Super Bowl winner, and has done a solid job. I'd take him over any draft pick at this point, unless it was a a real high pick.

The big question is health, which is why I'm suprised a little. He has struggled with injuries, but if he stays healthy he will be well worth the draft pick the Jets have to surrender.

I'm amazed how people consistently overrate draft picks. All a draft pick does is give you a shot at landing a good player. Signing a guy who is proven gives you a good player.

DraftBoy
04-09-2007, 07:34 AM
When healthy Gay is a proven CB. He started for a Super Bowl winner, and has done a solid job. I'd take him over any draft pick at this point, unless it was a a real high pick.

The big question is health, which is why I'm suprised a little. He has struggled with injuries, but if he stays healthy he will be well worth the draft pick the Jets have to surrender.

I'm amazed how people consistently overrate draft picks. All a draft pick does is give you a shot at landing a good player. Signing a guy who is proven gives you a good player.

I remain unconvinced about Gay I thought he looked good in 04, but his injuries are a huge concern and also the deal they would need to sign him to, make me feel as though the 2nd round pick on top of the contract are above what Gay is worth. Personally Id take a 2nd rounder like Weddle out of Utah over Gay if I have to sign him to a poison pill deal.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM

So true.

Bling
04-09-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm not so sure about that. It's a trend because it's been working lately. Look at the Colts - drafted Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Joe Addai. Pats - drafted Tom Brady, Deion Branch, Randall Gay, Asante Samuels, etc. Steelers - drafted Ben Roethlisbeger, Willie Parker, Antwaan Randel El, Hines Ward. Then you have the Dolphins. Never drafted their QB. They drafted Ronnie Brown, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael (sadly, their two best players on offense and one of the former best players on offense). It's a trend because it's been working lately.

casdhf
04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm not so sure about that. It's a trend because it's been working lately. Look at the Colts - drafted Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Joe Addai. Pats - drafted Tom Brady, Deion Branch, Randall Gay, Asante Samuels, etc. Steelers - drafted Ben Roethlisbeger, Willie Parker, Antwaan Randel El, Hines Ward. Then you have the Dolphins. Never drafted their QB. They drafted Ronnie Brown, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael (sadly, their two best players on offense and one of the former best players on offense). It's a trend because it's been working lately.

I think it's been working alot longer than that ... look at the Super Bowl teams the Bills put together. Those teams were mostly drafted players.

Mr. Pink
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I think it's been working alot longer than that ... look at the Super Bowl teams the Bills put together. Those teams were mostly drafted players.

That's easy to see....

Look at the difference between Plan B FA-what existed then, and now FA as we know it.

20 years ago, Nate Clements would have never left. Fletcher would still be here. etc etc etc. You can go team by team on this. The advent of FA as we know it today changed a lot of things.

casdhf
04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Steve Christie comes to mind.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2007, 11:21 AM

I'm not saying teams aren't built through the draft, I'm saying people overrate draft picks. You have a guy who has proven he can play in the NFL, and many people will take a rookie who hasn't proven anything yet over him. They love their new players, but there is not guarantee any of them will pan out.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2007, 08:36 PM
The Pats are looking to sign Tory James (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/04/james_on_radar.html), formerly of the Bengals.

This could be insurance in case Gay is signed by the Jets or Samuel holds out into training camp. James is getting old (34), but Belichick loves to sign veterans on the cheap and bring them to camp. Half of them get cut in camp, but many stick and become key role players.

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Randall Gay left NY without an offer from the Jets, per Tom Rock's blog in NY Newsday (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/):

As for Randall Gay, the Patriots cornerback has departed from his visit with the Jets without signing or being presented with an offer sheet. That doesn’t mean one won’t be forthcoming from the Jets, but it could mean that the Jets are simply getting a jump on next year’s business for when Gay becomes an unrestricted free agent.