PDA

View Full Version : Sirrius rips ESPN over the Bills.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Just listened to Randy Cross, RANDY CROSS of all people, talk about how the Bills right now are a better team than they were at the end of the season. Said we had to make some tough decisions to make us better.

He said Mortenson, and "on the Clock", don't know anything compared to Marv Levy.

He said if we get Michael Turner it will be a total coup.

I can't believe it. It's was awesome to hear it!!!

TacklingDummy
04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Doesn't Cross annouce alot of Bills games?

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Doesn't Cross annouce alot of Bills games?

Good question. I don't know because I have to watch every game without sound in a bar with 1,000 people.

He was super critical of us last year so this is a pretty big swing.

Goobylal
04-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah but he's been mostly critical of them. I noticed a difference last year though. I wonder if TD was the problem a lot of people had with the Bills, because even PFT, which used to slam the Bills, have now changed their tune.

In any case, talk is cheap. It will be proven on the field, one way or the other.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah but he's been mostly critical of them. I noticed a difference last year though. I wonder if TD was the problem a lot of people had with the Bills, because even PFT, which used to slam the Bills, have now changed their tune.

In any case, talk is cheap. It will be proven on the field, one way or the other.

Good press for the Bills is hard to come by.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Just listened to Randy Cross, RANDY CROSS of all people, talk about how the Bills right now are a better team than they were at the end of the season. Said we had to make some tough decisions to make us better.

He said Mortenson, and "on the Clock", don't know anything compared to Marv Levy.

He said if we get Michael Turner it will be a total coup.

I can't believe it. It's was awesome to hear it!!!

Yeah, I heard it too. Randy really went off on the ESPN "On the clock" guys, and totally backed Marv. Also said anyone who calls the Bills cheap at this point is crazy and that "I can't even make an argument as to why the Bills aren't a better team now following the moves they made this offseason."

OpIv37
04-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I really don't know how anyone can say the Bills are a better team with Kiwaukee Thomas as a starting CB and no one as a starting LB.

clumping platelets
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Season doesn't start until Sept

Mitchy moo
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Season doesn't start until Sept

The draft is in a few weeks, we'll see where we stand from there.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I really don't know how anyone can say the Bills are a better team with Kiwaukee Thomas as a starting CB and no one as a starting LB.
We have Crowell and Ellison at LB, and I don't think that Kiwaukee Thomas has been annointed the starter at CB, what with a talented 3rd round pick from last year in Youboty waiting in the wings. And we have 4 picks on day one this year.

It's a little early to be so Hell fire sure that we are less of a team than last year.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 09:02 AM

I would make the argument that the gain to the OL is much greater than the loss to our secondary.

I watched Nate suck for 23 games. His last 9 as a Bill were very good, not great. 5 ints in two years can be replaced.

don137
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
I truly feel by the time we start the season the Bills will be better at every position whether it be maturity through experience like at safety or just better personnel such as OL over last year except DB. Losing Clements will be the biggest drop off. I feel the Bills will address the LB position in the draft and the RB position through Turner or the draft.
Spikes did not contribute much the last two years and I feel Fletcher was good but not great. Ellison will be ready to come into his own and Crowell is only getting better. If Crowell goes inside to replace Fletcher he will be an upgrade. If the Bills get Willis and Crowell stays outside then the Bills are better off overall at LB. McGahee was truly nothing special at RB. Physically he was great but he how hard will it be to replace a guy that averaged under 4 yards the last few years and was very hesitant to hit the hole? Whoever replaces him will be no worse than at the same level.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I've got a great idea for the naysayers who can find nothing good about the Bills, their offseason, the front office, the ownership, etc., etc.

Why not wait to see if we do anything else in free agency, to evaluate the upcoming draft, to see how a number of second and third year guys - including McCargo and Youboty - perform in camp, and how we actually do next season - before pelting OBD with any more rotten eggs?

OpIv37
04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I would make the argument that the gain to the OL is much greater than the loss to our secondary.

I watched Nate suck for 23 games. His last 9 as a Bill were very good, not great. 5 ints in two years can be replaced.

trust me- I'm no Nate Clements fans and I'm glad we didn't spend big money on him. He's overrated. But he's still better than Kiwaukee Thomas and on Week 1 of 2007, he'll still be better than Ashton Youboty.

ublinkwescore
04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
We have Crowell and Ellison at LB, and I don't think that Kiwaukee Thomas has been annointed the starter at CB, what with a talented 3rd round pick from last year in Youboty waiting in the wings. And we have 4 picks on day one this year.

It's a little early to be so Hell fire sure that we are less of a team than last year.

Don't forget the possibility that last season could have been just an off-season for Terrence McGee.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I've got a great idea for the naysayers who can find nothing good about the Bills, their offseason, the front office, the ownership, etc., etc.

Why not wait to see if we do anything else in free agency, to evaluate the upcoming draft, to see how a number of second and third year guys - including McCargo and Youboty - perform in camp, and how we actually do next season - before pelting OBD with any more rotten eggs?

exactly. Wait and let FA and the draft conclude before getting too worked up over the fact that we need a starting RB, starting LB, and at minimum depth at CB.

One way or another, we're going to do something about each of those three needs. To me it makes a lot more sense to wait and see what moves the FO makes, and then evaluate those moves, as opposed to *****ing now that we still have holes five months prior to opening day, with FA still open and the draft yet to occur.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
trust me- I'm no Nate Clements fans and I'm glad we didn't spend big money on him. He's overrated. But he's still better than Kiwaukee Thomas and on Week 1 of 2007, he'll still be better than Ashton Youboty.

That wasn't my point. I agree that he is a loss. No doubt what so ever about that. I certainly don't think we are better. However the money that we used to sign Dockery is going to have a much bigger impact on this team than if we had used it on Nate. Do you not agree with that?

Jan Reimers
04-09-2007, 09:33 AM
But Op, you don't want Clements back at his ridiculous price, so we may not be quite as good at CB on opening day. We may not be quite as good at LB and RB, either, with Spikes, Fletcher and McGahee gone. But how do you get better without letting overpriced, or declining, or underperforming players go, and replacing them with younger, hopefully better players?

You can't replace everyone in free agency. You have to bite the bullet, have faith in the draft, and let some of the young guys play and develop.

OpIv37
04-09-2007, 09:40 AM
But Op, you don't want Clements back at his ridiculous price, so we may not be quite as good at CB on opening day. We may not be quite as good at LB and RB, either, with Spikes, Fletcher and McGahee gone. But how do you get better without letting overpriced, or declining, or underperforming players go, and replacing them with younger, hopefully better players?

You can't replace everyone in free agency. You have to bite the bullet, have faith in the draft, and let some of the young guys play and develop.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought rebuilding was about filling holes, not creating new ones. What would be wrong with, say, bringing in Harper and using young guys to fill RB and LB? Or bringing in a LB and letting the young guys fill in at CB? We've released or traded virtually everyone on this roster with significant experience over a 2 year period. We're depending too much on too many young guys at the same time.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Great post as usual.

Is Dockery a better signing than Nate? Yes.

Is Darwin Walker a better signing than Spikes? Yes.

Is _______ a better signing than McGahee? Yes.

Fletcher is th only wild card becase we don't have a player targeted to replace him with. Willis may not be there at #12 and that leaves the possibility of getting a lesser player in later rounds.

But yes, you can't get better hanging onto players that provided you with zero playoff births.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2007, 10:07 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought rebuilding was about filling holes, not creating new ones. What would be wrong with, say, bringing in Harper and using young guys to fill RB and LB? Or bringing in a LB and letting the young guys fill in at CB? We've released or traded virtually everyone on this roster with significant experience over a 2 year period. We're depending too much on too many young guys at the same time.
Actually, I WANT to see us going with mostly young guys all at the same time, so that they can develop and mature together over the next couple of years. I hated the Donahoe era where we had a solid veteran defense, built to a large extent on free agents, and a struggling offense. Our D was amongst the best in the league for 2 or 3 seasons, but we missed the playoffs anyway, because the O couldn't get it done.

I would like to see the O and D grow together, so that we get good on both sides of the ball at the same time.

No, I don't mind the occasional veteran pickup, but if it keeps a young guy off the field who will eventually be better than the pickup (say Youboty versus Harper), I say play the young guy now.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2007, 10:07 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought rebuilding was about filling holes, not creating new ones.
You're wrong. Rebuilding is about ripping everything off and rebuilding on a new foundation, young guys, new leaders, etc. Merely filling holes is called patch-working.

Throne Logic
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
You're wrong. Rebuilding is about ripping everything off and rebuilding on a new foundation, young guys, new leaders, etc. Merely filling holes is called patch-working.

Now there's an excellent point.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 10:28 AM

well, we're not going to win the Super Bowl this year, that's for sure. I don't think this is going to be nearly the transition year last season was, and I think we have an excellant chance of putting up a winning record and making the plaoyffs, but it's still not going to be the year we make a deep playoff run.

We may very well bring in Turner, and then we won't be depending on youth at RB. Our defense will undoubtedly be young, but on the whole, it's going to be more experienced than last year. we're going to have a rookie LB and youboty at CB, but otherwise everyone else has at minimum a year of experience.

justasportsfan
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually, I WANT to see us going with mostly young guys all at the same time, so that they can develop and mature together over the next couple of years. I hated the Donahoe era where we had a solid veteran defense, built to a large extent on free agents, and a struggling offense. Our D was amongst the best in the league for 2 or 3 seasons, but we missed the playoffs anyway, because the O couldn't get it done.

I would like to see the O and D grow together, so that we get good on both sides of the ball at the same time.

No, I don't mind the occasional veteran pickup, but if it keeps a young guy off the field who will eventually be better than the pickup (say Youboty versus Harper), I say play the young guy now.
:up:

TD would build a team with vets and when they finally had chemistry , he set the entire team back by starting a young Qb who wasn't ready . In the meantime those vets were getting old and and some left and those left behind eventually grew tired of losing which led to the revolt which eventually brought us to where we're at now, rebuilding. Some people however blame our current rebuilding situation on MArv.

djjimkelly
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
i know i sound like a homer when i say this but i think our front seven is better pending we make 1 LB move then it was last year we have more depth at DT we will be harder to run agst walker is a serious upgrade to out dline. everyone forgets spikes played about 8-10 games over the last 2 years we need one LB to be brought in " PATRICK WILLIS" and we will have a better front 7 then last year

as ive said all offseason clements will be missed but the front 7 dictate how a D plays!!!!!

feelthepain
04-09-2007, 12:47 PM

You get better by keeping your better players and upgrading your backups. Not vise versa.

feelthepain
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
i know i sound like a homer when i say this but i think our front seven is better pending we make 1 LB move then it was last year we have more depth at DT we will be harder to run agst walker is a serious upgrade to out dline. everyone forgets spikes played about 8-10 games over the last 2 years we need one LB to be brought in " PATRICK WILLIS" and we will have a better front 7 then last year

as ive said all offseason clements will be missed but the front 7 dictate how a D plays!!!!!

Spikes played 12 games last year and Walkers strength is pass rush and his weakness is run stopping.

Michael82
04-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Great post! :bf1: