X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Why is the media so high on Turner?!

Listened to Cross and Papa this AM and they feel we are the best fit for Turner. They were acting like this is guy is the best RB in the league. Why? Am I missing something?

They were insinuating that if we had to give up a first to get it done it would be worth it. I think I'd go nuts if we wasted a first on him.

Does anybody live in the San Diego area that knows this guy? What does there fan site say about him? Please tell me something!
  • RBI90
    • Nov 2006

Re: Why is the media so high on Turner?!

I no longer live in San Diego, but continue to follow the Chargers. Everyone in the SD area feels that Turner possess all the skills to excel as a starting RB. At 5-10 and 237 pounds he is strong and fast. He has little wear and tear on his body but at the same time has 3 years of NFL experience.

Most NFL experts, not just the media feel that Turner is the real deal.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
      • Jul 2005

I don't live in San Diego, but I can tell you he's a 240 lb running back that was 4th in the league in kickoff return average last year, ahead of Devin Hester and Terrence McGee. Ran a 4.4 back when he was drafted. Averaged 6.3 yards a carry last season, with 7 runs of more than 20 yards on about 80 carries.

So basically he has blown the doors off whenever he's seen the field. That's why everyone is so high on him. The only reason he hasn't seen more playing time is because he's #2 on the depth chart behind the most versatile and productive running back in the league.

Of course there are the questions about what he can do as a feature back and whether he can handle a full workload. But he's 240 lbs, you've got to believe he can take a few hits.

I'd also rather see us get it done without losing a 1st rounder, but only b/c I don't want to miss out on Patrick Willis. Anyone who has advocated drafting Marshawn Lynch at 12 would be crazy to complain about trading that same first to acquire Turner.
      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

He's big. He's fast. He has NFL experience and an unbelievable YPC average, so that makes him far better off than any draft pick this year.

Our two biggest holes are RB and LB- if we give up our first round draft pick to fill one of those holes, what's the problem?

I will say this: if it costs us a first to get Turner, I will be a little bothered by the opportunity cost of being able to use the 12th pick on an LB. But a) once again, using a draft pick to fill a big hole is getting good value for it and b) if Willis is off the board at 12, this is an irrelevant point because no other LB is worth 12.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

also, as far as the media is concerned, football news is slow until the draft at the end of the month. Right now, it's by far the most interesting story in the NFL, so expect the media to run it into the ground. It's their MO.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• camelcowboy
            • Mar 2005

hhurricane alot of people are high on him because they have watched him play. Take a memo, he's a beast.

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

I did not watch many of San Diego's games. Does anyone know of a site that gives yardage breakdown by quarter? One thing that worries me about Turner, and I may be wrong, is that he was put in late in games when LT already wore them down and defenses are tired. The best time to put up big monster numbers on the ground is late in a game. I would feel better if his yards and YPC were consistant through all four quarters and he did not pick up the yards only in garbage time when the defenses are most tired and not as fresh.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                He's big. He's fast. He has NFL experience and an unbelievable YPC average, so that makes him far better off than any draft pick this year.

Our two biggest holes are RB and LB- if we give up our first round draft pick to fill one of those holes, what's the problem?

I will say this: if it costs us a first to get Turner, I will be a little bothered by the opportunity cost of being able to use the 12th pick on an LB. But a) once again, using a draft pick to fill a big hole is getting good value for it and b) if Willis is off the board at 12, this is an irrelevant point because no other LB is worth 12.
                This is my concern. Everything that I hear about Turner is off the field. He's 240, he runs a 4.4, he's young and doesn't have a lot of miles on him. I'm sure I can find that guy on about half the rosters on this league. Sounds like Lionel Gates.

I agree that he's the equivalent of drafting a back. But he's not worth a first rounder. The 44th pick in this years draft is pretty good for San Diego. Our #12 pick is going to have a gem fall to us so I would not give it away under any circumstances.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by don137
                  I did not watch many of San Diego's games. Does anyone know of a site that gives yardage breakdown by quarter? One thing that worries me about Turner, and I may be wrong, is that he was put in late in games when LT already wore them down and defenses are tired. The best time to put up big monster numbers on the ground is late in a game. I would feel better if his yards and YPC were consistant through all four quarters and he did not pick up the yards only in garbage time when the defenses are most tired and not as fresh.
                  Great post!! Half of his highlights are against the Bills when it was 41-10 in the second half of the game.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Great post!! Half of his highlights are against the Bills when it was 41-10 in the second half of the game.
                    Just keep in mind that even though the defense is tired, they are still packing 9 men in the box because they know the run is coming. Most of turners success has been against teams that know he's getting the ball, but they still can't stop him. Thats what i liked the most about watching turner, thats also why he's better then McGahee in my book.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                      hhurricane alot of people are high on him because they have watched him play. Take a memo, he's a beast.
                      Who? I'm not trying to be dick but there aren't too many fans here that can recall a game, a story, something. I watched alot of Brandon Jacobs and he's a beast and somebody I'd like to see in a Bills uni and could give you legit reasons because of his play on the field.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                        • Mar 2005

Who? I'm not trying to be dick but there aren't too many fans here that can recall a game, a story, something. I watched alot of Brandon Jacobs and he's a beast and somebody I'd like to see in a Bills uni and could give you legit reasons because of his play on the field.
                        Im not trying to be a dick, lol it just comes natural, but I like Jacobs too and i feel turner is a very simular runner maybe a little faster.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                          Im not trying to be a dick, lol it just comes natural, but I like Jacobs too and i feel turner is a very simular runner maybe a little faster.
                          "Turnerboy" your high opinion of LT's backup is noted. I would just like to read some game info or somebody who has seen him play. A San Diego fan, etc.

I'm just concerned that our desperate need for a RB is blinding us to the truth.

Everytime we brought a backup lineman in here we kept thinking he was the answer. Read the posts by our fans about Bennie Anderson and Tutan Reyes before they got here. However, if you had read, for example the Raven sites you would have known what a POS we were getting.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

This is my concern. Everything that I hear about Turner is off the field. He's 240, he runs a 4.4, he's young and doesn't have a lot of miles on him. I'm sure I can find that guy on about half the rosters on this league. Sounds like Lionel Gates.
                            But you're ignoring what he HAS done on the field. I.e. 6.3 yards per carry last year with 7 runs of 20 yards or more in only 80 carries. 4th in the league in kickoff returns. I don't think you can find a backup running back with those kind of numbers on many (if any) rosters in the league.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by don137
                              Does anyone know of a site that gives yardage breakdown by quarter?
                              Last Year:

1st Qtr: 10-78 (7.8)-0
                              2nd Qtr: 16-81 (5.1)-0
                              3rd Qtr: 19-97 (5.1)-0
                              4th Qtr: 35-246 (7.0)-2

You can see his splits in about any situation HERE.

The guy was consistently productive in almost all situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X