• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

FoxSports: Updated 3 round Mock

Some very interersting picks/comments.....

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
    PickTeamPlayerPos.SchoolClassPreviousRising/FallingHigh/Low
    1.RaidersJaMarcus RussellQBLSUJunior1stSAME1st / 10th
    David Carr to Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss and Jerry Porter sounded pretty good to me. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin and Carr have a history, as Kiffin was the quarterback at Fresno State before Carr came to town. A part of me really thought that Carr -- and not Russell -- would be under center for Oakland next year. In the end, though, the 2002 first overall pick signed with Carolina and Al Davis will get his golden arm in April. Many NFL scouts confirm that when Russell takes the field in September, he'll be the owner of the best arm in the entire NFL. You've heard the stories: He can throw it 70 yards through the uprights from his rear end, he can hit targets lying on his back, etc. On top of the Paul Bunyon-esque tales, he's got poise and moxy. Plenty for Kiffin, a quarterbacks guru, to work with over the next few years. At the very least, an extremely exciting pick -- just the way Al Davis likes it.
    VIDEO: Russell highlights
    2.LionsGaines AdamsDEClemsonSenior2nd(+3)2nd / 7th
    I've long stood behind the Lions taking Joe Thomas with this pick, but with recent acquisitions of OT George Foster via trade and OG's Edwin Mulitalo and Zach Piller through free agency, I think it's safe to say Detroit may be looking elsewhere with the No. 2 pick. Though several of the mock drafts floating around the 'net this month foresee Detroit going with Brady Quinn here, I don't see them passing on Gaines Adams — a potential Pro Bowl defensive end — at 2. Losing James Hall hurts, and although picking up Dewayne White helps — Gaines Adams brings instant credibility to the Lions' pass rush. The 2006 ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Adams dominated both on the field in 2006, and at the combine drills in Indianapolis back in February. His 12.5 sacks during his senior year were a career best, and he locked up a spot on the All-American squad. Everyone's in love with the kid, and he'll be the first defensive player chosen come April 28. I'll keep on using this quote to describe Adams — because I love it. FOXSports.com's John "Czar" Czarnecki take on Adams, the day after his combine performance, "Going strictly by his numbers, Adams blew away his competition by running a 4.64 40-yard dash and also finishing no worse than third in his group in three other categories. When going by these numbers, Adams could be this year's Mario Williams. He could go anywhere in the top 10 and possibly even the top five based on his overall performance. There wasn't one defensive coach yesterday who wasn't blown away by his 40 time." Perfect fit for the Lions. Of course, about 16 teams are going to try to trade up into this spot to grab Calvin Johnson. Don't be shocked if this pick belongs to another squad by the time draft day rolls around.
    VIDEO: Adams highlights
    3.BrownsBrady QuinnQBNotre DameSenior3rdSAME1st / 9th
    If still available at three, Romeo Crennel will take his old colleague Charlie Weis' guy in Quinn, the golden domer out of South Bend . The Frye-Dorsey-Anderson trio just won't cut it next season. Quinn gives instant credibility to a position that's been more or less vacated in Cleveland since the Bernie Kosar era.
    VIDEO: Quinn highlights
    4.BuccaneersCalvin JohnsonWRGeorgia TechJunior4thSAME2nd / 4th
    It would be a minor miracle if Johnson fell to 4, but the teams with the first three picks in the draft truly do not need immediate help at wide receiver. The commonly accepted thought is that some team is going to trade up and make a run at CJ21, but if not — Jon Gruden would be absolutely delighted to have Johnson fall into his lap, here. Scouts are already slotting the kid in as a future All-Pro, and some are even using the words "best ever."
    VIDEO: Johnson highlights
    5.CardinalsJoe ThomasOTWisconsinSenior5th(-3)2nd / 5th
    Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt would consider this a dream scenario. If the Cards can grab Thomas without having to trade up or swap picks with Detroit , there would be some very happy customers down in Glendale. Sure, signing veteran OL Wayne Gandy helped the offensive line this off-season — and yes, losing Leonard Davis might have very well been addition by subtraction — but Joe Thomas is a franchise cornerstone. The Wisconsin All-American wowed scouts at the combine and has everything the Cardinals brass would like to see in a first round draft pick. He's a wonderful player — a can't miss prospect — and an even better kid. He'll have Matt Leinart's back well into the next decade.
    VIDEO: Thomas highlights
    6.RedskinsAlan BranchDTMichiganJunior6thSAME6th / 6th
    As of now, the rumored Lance Briggs trade with the Bears is off the table. According to FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer, the move is on hold ... for the time being. If the 'Skins do hold on to the pick, I still think they go with Branch. After mediocre performances at both the combine and his Michigan Pro Day, several mock drafts have Branch slipping out of the top 10. A 330-pound clog in the middle, I still think he'll be the first DT drafted in April. The Redskins' rush defense was an embarrassment in '06, capped off by a Tiki Barber 200-yard performance in the final week of the season. An All-Big Ten performer, Branch anchored a defense that gave up less than 40 rushing yards per game last season. Gibbs and co. need help in the middle; Branch is that help.
    VIDEO: Branch highlights
    7.VikingsAdam CarrikerDENebraskaSenior21st(+14)7th / NR
    Carriker's stock has soared since a dominating week down in Mobile , Alabama for the Senior Bowl. He followed the performance up with a solid combine workout in Indianapolis, and an even more impressive Pro Day on March 7th. It's no secret that Minnesota 's most pressing needs are wide receiver and defensive end. A month ago, Jamaal Anderson was considered either the first or second rated defensive end on the draft board. After less than impressive workouts, scouts are beginning to wonder whether the Arkansas standout was a one-year wonder and a product of Houston Nutt's system. With some busts in the first round over the past few years, the Vikes can't take the risk on Anderson. Carriker, on the other hand, offers consistency. The Vikings D-line can certainly use some of that. Kenechi Udeze started 16 games and recorded 0 sacks last year. Erasmus James is still recovering from a 2005 injury. Carriker, who contributed steadily for three seasons in Lincoln , could start right away for Brad Childress's squad. As for the wideout needs, look for Minnesota to address them in the later rounds.
    8.FalconsLaRon LandrySLSUSenior8thSAME8th / 11th
    A no-brainer if Landry's still around at 8. Being touted a once-in-a-generation player, the LSU star can improve Atlanta 's below-average safety situation immediately. Already considered the top defensive back in the draft entering last month's combine session, Landry blew scouts away with a jaw-dropping 4.32 in the 40. He followed that up with a spectacular performance at the LSU Pro Day on March 14. A four-year starter down in Baton Rouge, the Falcons would be grabbing a franchise cornerstone by selecting him at 8. The brother of Ravens starter Dawan Landry, he'll make an impact right away. Of course, there's another wrinkle in this pick: If Adrian Peterson is still sitting here at 8 — don't be shocked if Bobby Petrino and Co. pull the trigger. With Warrick Dunn nearing the end of his career (despite putting up his best numbers of his career last season), Peterson could be a tempting thought to help carry the load with Jerious Norwood in the future. As for Atlanta 's needs at wideout, they already picked up Joe Horn — and own the 39th and 44th picks in the second round. A Sidney Rice or a Jason Hill may very well still be available in the second round.
    9.DolphinsAmobi OkoyeDTLouisvilleSenior9thSAME9th / 32nd
    The Dolphins defense picked up Joey Porter and DB Cameron Worrell, and re-signed a trio of veteran defensive tackles in the off-season. On the offensive side of the ball, Randy McMichael, Joey Harrington, Bennie Anderson, Darian Barnes, Sammy Morris, Travis Minor, and Wes Welker are gone — with David Martin, a tight end from Green Bay, and fullback Cory Schlesinger now on board. Plenty of changes down in Dolphinland this winter. Miami can go a variety of ways with the 9th pick. Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, as well as Ted Ginn or Levi Brown could be the choice if the 'Phins want to go with offense, Cam Cameron's specialty. Yet, I see Miami taking a gamble on the 19-year-old Okoye, owner of arguably the hottest stock entering April's draft. He improved his Indianapolis combine 40 time by 3 tenths of a second at Louisville's Pro Day on March 14th, and came across as polished and mature beyond his years in interviews. A standout at Louisville with arguably the most "upside" in the entire draft, Okoye will learn the game from some of the NFL's best defensive players in Miami. As good as that defense is—Zach Thomas, Porter, Keith Traylor, and Jason Taylor aren't getting any younger. Okoye could be the unit's leader for the next decade.
    10.TexansLevi BrownOTPenn StateSenior10thSAME8th / 31st
    New quarterback, new running back — how about a new offensive line? Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Co. signed OT Jordan Black back in March, but it's still not enough. The Texans offensive line is in dire need of a number one pick—a sure-fire talent to anchor the line and protect quarterback Matt Shaub. Brown's stock is rising, and could be gone to Arizona at 5 if Joe Thomas is off the board in the first four picks. If Brown is still on the board at 10, look for Houston to grab the two-time All American. Sure, fans will be clamoring for Adrian Peterson — and yes, "AD" is a Texas kid. But Brown fills a greater need for Houston; a need that the franchise hasn't taken care of since it entered the NFL in 2002.
    VIDEO: Brown highlights
    11.49ersJamaal AndersonDEArkansasJunior7th(-4)5th / NR
    If Anderson slips to 11, look for the Niners to grab him and bolster their defensive line. Through free agency, San Francisco already bolstered their defensive backfield (Michael Lewis and Nate Clements), and linebacker corps (Tully Banta-Cain and Colby Bockwoldt). Bryant Young isn't getting any younger, and the Niners' line only accounted for 12.5 sacks last year. Anderson is a rare physical specimen — a 6-foot-6 monster that can run like a gazelle. Whether used as an end in a 3-4 alignment or a 4-3 scheme, Anderson can make an instant impact with San Francisco . However, wide receiver remains a need for San Francisco as well (picking up Ashley Lelie wasn't exactly an upgrade), and with the Bowe-Meachem-Ginn-Jarrett quartet likely all still on the board in this spot, don't be shocked to see one picked here as well.
    VIDEO: Anderson highlights
    12.BillsAdrian PetersonRBOklahomaJunior12thSAME3rd / 12th
    There's a very good chance a team moves up into the top 10 picks to draft Peterson if still available. If not, it will be Buffalo's lucky day. Though the team is currently rumored to be in the Michael Turner hunt, Peterson may very well be a better, less expensive option at 12. Peterson — likely considered a top 3 pick in any other year's draft — could slip to this spot, based on team needs in the top 11. Sure, the Bills need help at other positions. And yes, they did just re-sign Anthony Thomas. But none of that will matter if the former Heisman Trophy finalist is sitting on a draft board this late on the first day. If Peterson's somehow available at 12 — and again, I doubt he will be — Marv Levy and Co. will scoop him up before Buffalo 's pick even goes on the clock. If gone by 12, plugging the holes left by London Fletcher-Baker and Takeo Spikes at linebacker with Patrick Willis out of Ole Miss is a sound move.
    VIDEO: Peterson highlights
    13.RamsLeon HallCBMichiganSenior18th(+5)8th / 18th
    The Rams addressed a lot of needs on the offensive side of the ball in the off-season (Travis Minor, Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael). Look for them to improve their struggling D via the draft. Hall's my number-one rated cornerback on this year's draft board. And though the Rams seem to have more pressing needs than corner, the thought of Tye Hill (taken 15th overall last year) and Leon Hall starting in the their defensive backfield for the next decade is awfully appealing. Hall overcame rough outings against Ohio State and USC in his final two collegiate games to put on shows at both the combine and Michigan's pro day. He showed off 4.3 speed at the combine, and though he didn't run at the March 16th Pro Day, he presented himself well, mastering the DB drills he participated in. Other potential considerations here: Patrick Willis, Carriker or Anderson if they slip, and a bit of a wild card — safety Reggie Nelson out of Florida.
    14.PanthersPatrick WillisLBOle MissSenior13th(-1)12th / 14th
    Middle linebacker Dan Morgan is not getting any younger, and John Fox's defense has suffered in his absence in recent years. Morgan's not being pushed out the door anytime soon, but at what point do the Panthers look towards the future at middle linebacker? There's no better prospect at the position this year than Willis, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year in '06. Willis was a standout in Mobile at the Senior Bowl a month ago and a top collegiate performer his entire tenure at Ole Miss. The Butkus Award winner, he recorded 137 tackles and had three sacks in '06. A complete package that goes sideline-to-sideline, Willis will pay immediate dividends for the Panthers. The top rated linebacker in this year's drafts by leaps and bounds, Carolina would be delighted to grab him at 14.
    15.SteelersPaul PoslusznyLBPenn StateSenior15thSAME15th / 25th
    I'm still sticking by this one. Though most mock drafts have Lawrence Timmons or Jon Beason going before "Poz" on April 28th, and the Steelers grabbing a corner at 15 — I think they go with the Western Pennsylvania kid and Penn State alum. With Joey Porter gone to Miami, the former Bednariak and Butkus award winner could help fill the void at linebacker for the Steelers immediately. Whereas Timmons may take a few years, Posluszny is ready now. Exactly what scheme Mike Tomlin plans to employ is still up in the air. Whether it's a 4-3 or a 3-4, "Poz" has played both inside linebacker and outside linebacker at a high level — and will be a great fit in Pittsburgh.
    16.PackersMarshawn LynchRBCaliforniaJunior16thSAME14th / 20th
    Nothing's changed here. With Ahman Green gone to the Texans, the Packers will undoubtedly be looking to fill their starting running back position in April. Quite simply, Vernand Morency and Noah Herron are not NFL starting running backs. Lynch, however, is. The golf car-riding stud out of Cal, Lynch is the perfect running back for the West Coast offense, a superb rusher and a better than average receiver. The All-Pac Ten performer showed off his speed in Indianapolis, clocking in with a sub 4.4 40 yard dash. This is a no-brainer ... unless, of course, Adrian Peterson is somehow still on the board. VIDEO: Lynch highlights

Round 2:

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

43.BillsBrandon SilerLBFloridaSenior

Round 3:

74.BillsMichael Okwo LBStanfordSenior

92.BillsMike Walker WRCentral FloridaSenior

• TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: FoxSports: Updated 3 round Mock

I would pick Tim Shaw or Antwan Barnes in the third instead of Michael Okwo, but otherwise it's a good mock for the Bills.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• camelcowboy
      • Mar 2005

Every draft i have seen that had peterson going to us i found something i viewed as a reach. This is the best one i have seen so far, i could really see it happening.

Comment

• The Answer
        The Plagiarist
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by camelcowboy
        Every draft i have seen that had peterson going to us i found something i viewed as a reach. This is the best one i have seen so far, i could really see it happening.
        Like The Answer said in the chat wrap thread - if we make a move for Michael Turner, and Peterson ends up falling to #12 it would be a monumental blunder.

We would almost be forced to draft Peterson and then trade Turner - just can't pass up on a talent like this.

~The Answer

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

I like it too. I'd probably prefer Quincy Black to Okwo with our 1st 3rd rd pick - and this would mean that we are comfortable with Youboty starting though. It might be safer to pick a CB with that pick. Mike Walker would be a solid pickup with our 3b pick!!!

Comment

• B-DON
            hi
            • Mar 2004

This is exactly why i wouldnt dish out money for turner. We have 3 viable options at rb and would be stupid not to wait and see what happens with AP before we trade for a backup, although a good backup he will still want huge dollars when we get him and he is still not as good as AP who would come cheaper.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

Peterson is an incredible prospect, no doubt. But if we trade for Turner without losing the #12, we've got a shot at getting Patrick Willis too. That would be a straight up best-case scenario.

the only way I'd be annoyed with trading for turner before the draft is if Peterson is on the board at 12 and Willis IS NOT.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                We already gave away our first for Turner so we can't get him now.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I dont see any way Siler last til 43

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• The Answer
                    The Plagiarist
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                    Peterson is an incredible prospect, no doubt. But if we trade for Turner without losing the #12, we've got a shot at getting Patrick Willis too. That would be a straight up best-case scenario.

the only way I'd be annoyed with trading for turner before the draft is if Peterson is on the board at 12 and Willis IS NOT.
                    But then we give up our 2nd round pick (and likely more) - it's just not worth it. And there's no guarantees willis will be there at #12 either.

The Answer is not a fan of taking RB's in the first round, but Peterson is one of those rare blue chippers you just don't pass up on.

~The Answer

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Ourlads scouting rates Okwo and Walker as 7th rounds talents. LOL !

Fox should stick to NASCAR .
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                        Ourlads scouting rates Okwo and Walker as 7th rounds talents. LOL !

Fox should stick to NASCAR .
                        ourlads is wrong, and I'm willing to bet a paycheck (a whole 74 dollars for 40 hours) that Okwo and Walker are both gone by the middle of the 4th round; at the latest..

Comment

• BigGabes23
                          • Mar 2006

There is a 0% chance Gaines Adams ends up to Detroit at number 2.... No way does that happen.

I can see AP falling to buffalo at 12. He only needs to make it past the Browns (I like them to take Quinn) and the Texans, whose O-Line is the worst in football.

Comment

• superbills
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                            ourlads is wrong, and I'm willing to bet a paycheck (a whole 74 dollars for 40 hours) that Okwo and Walker are both gone by the middle of the 4th round; at the latest..
                            What are you a waitress ??? :
                            "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                            Ronald Reagan
                            40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by superbills
                              What are you a waitress ??? :
                              lol