Could the Bills Defense already be better than a year ago?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Could the Bills Defense already be better than a year ago?!

Think about it:

1) Darwin Walker is a pass rushing vet with experience.

2) Hargrove starts camp on our roster and gets to gel with the team. May provide depth at the DE position instead of having to play DT.

3) Spikes get's replaced by a healthier, younger, Crowell.

4) Whitner and Simpson are now 2nd year players with a full year of playing time under their belts.

5) McCargo comes to camp bigger and stronger and hopefully ready to contribute after his short rookie season.

We need LBs and I expect the Bills to draft as many as 3 of them if available so I believe that Fletcher will be replaced by one of these picks and will be an upgrade.

Nate is the only hole that we potentially will suffer a set back with. Yobouty had a first round grade but he was in the 3rd for a reason. He did take chances on the big play so we'll see what we get.

The Bills D is already better and we haven't even made it to the draft yet. Let the *****ing begin.
    Last edited by HHURRICANE; 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Could the Bills Defense already be better than a year ago?!

This defense will be better than last year's...I'm positive about that.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

This doesnt even deserve a reply dude but I like you plus I babble way too much anyway so deal with it..

once in your post did you mention London Fletcher, who's one of the most respected LB's in the league.. and you expect a ROOKIE to get drafted and come in and be an upgrade?

Darwin Walker can rush the passer.. Actually, everyone on our DL is good at rushing the passer. The problem is NOBODY is good at stopping the run, and Walker is as bad as any of them.

Spikes doesnt get "replaced" by a "younger, healthier" (who broke his leg last year btw) Crowell. Crowell was already starting alongside Spikes before he got hurt. Ellison is replacing Spikes, or is he replacing Fletcher?

I agree about the safeties being better in year two, but just because you hate him I Find it comical that you and others think that Clements is gone and our production will be easily replaced by Youboty or Thomas. maybe we collectively hate him but he's easily a top 10 CB in this league.. Do you think SF gave him the farm without even watching film on him? I cant tell you how many games nate shut down the other team's best WR.. yes, he had some bad game, NO I DONT think he's worth no $80 million dollars-- but he's so far above anything we had in the secondary it's not even funny.

But most importantly, we have basically the same soft DL against the run we had last year. Why we gave Kelsay $24 million ($12 in cash to cap alone this year) instead of drafting a Jamaal Anderson or Adam Carriker in round one for our WEAKEST spot is beyond me.

Put some real DT's in front of Fletcher, and I'd have taken him back over Kelsay any day of the week.

Regardless, this defense is NOT already better than it was last year, and it was pretty pathetic last year.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
        OMG I've become a homer!! But it feels so good!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

1- How much worse could it possibly be?

2- What makes you positive about that? Fletch and Clements may not be your favorites, but they're a million times better than K Thomas or C Wire, who as of this moment anyway are "starters"

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

IMO all we've done is move sideways. A lot of that has to do with the D playing in their second year under the same system.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              IMO all we've done is move sideways.
              At best.. IMO we're worse.. But since we sucked anyway with last year's defense; why suck and pay out ALL that money.. (though i woulda paid Fletcher over Kelsay-- **** Clements' and his 80 mill)

If we're going to suck anyways (and we will) do it with younger, cheaper players who may become good in a few years.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Pat, I addressed both Nate and Fletcher in my post.

1) Fletcher is a 32 year old undersized and overmatched LB. Josh Stamer plays as hard as anybody but that doesn't mean he deserves to be a starter. Fletcher played as hard as he is capable of but his lack of talent was apparant the last 2 years. Yes I am 100% convinced that a rookie can come in and play better.

2) Nate is a hole and I admitted that. Read my post again. This is the only area where we conceivably take a seat back.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  IMO all we've done is move sideways. A lot of that has to do with the D playing in their second year under the same system.
                  Man this is the second time you've let me down on the homer post. That's why OP is my favorite poster.

Actually I think we are better right now assuming that we draft at least 2 LBs early.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Pat, I addressed both Nate and Fletcher in my post.

1) Fletcher is a 32 year old undersized and overmatched LB. Josh Stamer plays as hard as anybody but that doesn't mean he deserves to be a starter. Fletcher played as hard as he is capable of but his lack of talent was apparant the last 2 years. Yes I am 100% convinced that a rookie can come in and play better.

2) Nate is a hole and I admitted that. Read my post again. This is the only area where we conceivably take a seat back.
                    London Fletcher was arguably the BEST player on the ENTIRE team over the past two years, and he's pretty much the only player that DIDNT quit on the fans in 2005.

And for an undersized and overmatched LB, 4 Interceptions and 2 TD's last year, not to mention 3rd in the NFL in tackles is production I can live with. We play a cover two, cover two MLB"s dont make a lot of tackles at the line.. Its not a blitzing style defense; the MLB has a lot more read and react responsibilities than a Ray Lewis or Zack Tomas.

Fletcher is so underappreciated on this board (in general) its pretty sickening. He still had 2-3 good years left, in which time we could've developed a nice, young MLB to take his spot. Instead, we locked up Kelsay for the next 72 years and our front four remains as soft against the run as ever. Not to mention, we have NO leaders on defense now.. None.

Even with Fletcher, we could possibly still draft Willis, play him on the outside and instantly have one of the best LB tandems in the NFL again..

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      Think about it:

1) Darwin Walker is a pass rushing vet with experience.

2) Hargrove starts camp on our roster and gets to gel with the team. May provide depth at the DE position instead of having to play DT.

3) Spikes get's replaced by a healthier, younger, Crowell.

4) Whitner and Simpson are now 2nd year players with a full year of playing time under their belts.

5) McCargo comes to camp bigger and stronger and hopefully ready to contribute after his short rookie season.

We need LBs and I expect the Bills to draft as many as 3 of them if available so I believe that Fletcher will be replaced by one of these picks and will be an upgrade.

Nate is the only hole that we potentially will suffer a set back with. Yobouty had a first round grade but he was in the 3rd for a reason. He did take chances on the big play so we'll see what we get.

The Bills D is already better and we haven't even made it to the draft yet. Let the *****ing begin.
                      You totally forgot that we have no replacement for Fletcher and that our run D hasn't improved in the slightest. There is no way that the Bills D is better right now than it was at the end of 06.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        At best.. IMO we're worse.. But since we sucked anyway with last year's defense; why suck and pay out ALL that money.. (though i woulda paid Fletcher over Kelsay-- **** Clements' and his 80 mill)

If we're going to suck anyways (and we will) do it with younger, cheaper players who may become good in a few years.
                        They will be better prepared going into the season having a better grasp of the D. Depending on whether McCargo , Tripplett , Williams and the addition of Walker, improves the middle of the DL in their second year, I think this D can improve on our D ranking immensely from last year. Unlike you, at this point we've moved sideways. I also believe our coaches have a better grasp of their players. You can say Kelsay sucks all you want, IMO you'll be wrong just like you were about JP.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          1- How much worse could it possibly be?

2- What makes you positive about that? Fletch and Clements may not be your favorites, but they're a million times better than K Thomas or C Wire, who as of this moment anyway are "starters"
                          1. Not much, as I believe they ranked 27 overall last year, but that's beside the point.

2. I have no beef with either Fletcher or Clements, and agree that the talent level (on paper) at corner and LB has been downgraded from last year with their loss, along with Spikes. Apparently at this point, anyway.

I anticipate the defensive unit to perform better than last year (especially against the run) based on the following factors...

1. Year two in the same system.

2. Upgrade on the d-line (Walker, a healthy McCargo, etc)

3. A minor adjustment in emphasis in how the T2 is employed, specifically the LB's and safeties. I think the LB's will be allowed to attack more and the safeties will be more involved in the run packages.

4. A more efficient offense that will benefit the defense by keeping them off the field more than last year and not subjecting them to tiring out in the fourth quarter.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

The defense could potentially be better, but only if Youboty can be a decent starter and we draft an immediate impact LB. Could happen, but impossible to say now. Dumping old or overpaid veterans is a plus only if their replacements are good.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

1. Not much, as I believe they ranked 27 overall last year, but that's beside the point.

2. I have no beef with either Fletcher or Clements, and agree that the talent level (on paper) at corner and LB has been downgraded from last year with their loss, along with Spikes. Apparently at this point, anyway.

I anticipate the defensive unit to perform better than last year (especially against the run) based on the following factors...

1. Year two in the same system.

2. Upgrade on the d-line (Walker, a healthy McCargo, etc)

3. A minor adjustment in emphasis in how the T2 is employed, specifically the LB's and safeties. I think the LB's will be allowed to attack more and the safeties will be more involved in the run packages.

4. A more efficient offense that will benefit the defense by keeping them off the field more than last year and not subjecting them to tiring out in the fourth quarter.
                              Good points-- but at the end of the day you need established talent and I think they lack that right now-- big time..

Comment

Working...
                              X