• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Cornerbacks and the T2

If you don't need good corners to run the T2 defense, why did McGee play better under Jerry Gray than Perry Fewell?

T-Mac had a decent year in '05, and a lot was expected from him last year, yet he appeared to 'regress'.

Shouldn't he have gotten better?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Re: Cornerbacks and the T2

Originally posted by YardRat
    If you don't need good corners to run the T2 defense, why did McGee play better under Jerry Gray than Perry Fewell?

T-Mac had a decent year in '05, and a lot was expected from him last year, yet he appeared to 'regress'.

Many of McGee's troubles were issues with Ko Simpson. New coverage as well. McGee improved along with simpson towards the end of the year.

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

It is a compete fallacy that you do not need good corners. Good corners are always better then bad corners. Plus, cover two teams only use the "cover two scheme" for about half the time the defense is on the field.

Comment

• Kenny
        • Aug 2004

I think it's because the Tampa2 needs more of a 'smart' corner... one that's better able to read plays and hence play zone.

Playing man on man coverage like Jerry's Gray defense needed, required more physical skill (speed, quickness, reaction, etc...)... And that's why McGee was more successful

Hopefully with another year under his belt, he'll be better at reading plays.

Comment

• camelcowboy
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kenny
          I think it's because the Tampa2 needs more of a 'smart' corner... one that's better able to read plays and hence play zone.

Playing man on man coverage like Jerry's Gray defense needed, required more physical skill (speed, quickness, reaction, etc...)... And that's why McGee was more successful

Hopefully with another year under his belt, he'll be better at reading plays.
          Exactly Dre Bly who is a great man on man corner suffered in Detriot's new T2 defence. Same with Fred Smoot, he also suffered in the T-2 system. These corners are used to manning up on receivers not reading routes. Bly and Smoot also don't excel in run support which t-2 corners need to do.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

Having good CBs still helps, but its a different type of CB. It's not about coverage skills, it's recognition and reaction that helps.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

So you're saying McGee isn't too bright?
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• casdhf
                • Jul 2002

I'm saying he's learning a new style on the fly.
                Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

So you're saying McGee isn't too bright?
                  He saying McGee is used to staying on a man, and reading a quarter backs eyes. Now he needs to stay on anyone that breaks into his zone. It's a different coverage it will take time.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

I dont remember off hand who said it or why it is the general consensus that you dont need good CB's in the T2 d.

Corners play zone rather then man to man, typically in the the T2 you want big physical CB's to jam the WR's at the line. Nate, charles tillman.....etc.

Tmac is a little guy, hes not going to move a whole lot of WR's off the ball which leaves them open. Moreover its the reason MLB is such an important piece to the T2. The counter to T2 defenses is the middle, part of the reason Urlacher is such a beast is because he has the ability/speed to drop back into coverage.

Tmac is not built to be a Cover 2 guy, it will be interesting to see how we counter this. The argument for drafting a big CB day 1 and moving Youboty to the #2 spot and Tmac to the slot is ultimatley not a bad move. I think our biggest need is MLB still for the type of scheme we run to "click".

You absolutley need big mean, physical CB's for this D and the argument that they arent important is just ignorant. They may not be the most important factor (i.e an attacking MLB, or a line that can get penetration...etc) but they are absolutley a must.
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• camelcowboy
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Devin
                      I dont remember off hand who said it or why it is the general consensus that you dont need good CB's in the T2 d.

Corners play zone rather then man to man, typically in the the T2 you want big physical CB's to jam the WR's at the line. Nate, charles tillman.....etc.

Tmac is a little guy, hes not going to move a whole lot of WR's off the ball which leaves them open. Moreover its the reason MLB is such an important piece to the T2. The counter to T2 defenses is the middle, part of the reason Urlacher is such a beast is because he has the ability/speed to drop back into coverage.

Tmac is not built to be a Cover 2 guy, it will be interesting to see how we counter this. The argument for drafting a big CB day 1 and moving Youboty to the #2 spot and Tmac to the slot is ultimatley not a bad move. I think our biggest need is MLB still for the type of scheme we run to "click".

You absolutley need big mean, physical CB's for this D and the argument that they arent important is just ignorant. They may not be the most important factor (i.e an attacking MLB, or a line that can get penetration...etc) but they are absolutley a must.
                      Corners are important, but bigger physical corners who may not have the foot speed aren't first round picks. These guy can be found later in the draft.

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                        Corners are important, but bigger physical corners who may not have the foot speed aren't first round picks. These guy can be found later in the draft.
                        Cover 2 Corners (at least from teams I remember running the T2):

Bills: Nate Clements (49ers now) Round 1, Tmac Round 4
                        Colts: Marlin Jackson Round 1, Jason David Round 4
                        Bears: Charles Tillman Round 2, Nathan Vasher Round 4
                        Bucs: Barber Round 3, Kelly Round 2
                        Lions: Bly (Broncos) Round 2, Travis Fisher Round 2

So it appears most the big Cover 2 corners went in Round 1 or the top part of Round 2. The smaller guys going in rounds 3-4.

*Bly, Kelly and Tillman were chose in the top half of the 2nd round.

Im not advocating taking a corner but the more I look at it dont be surprised.

Comment

• Kenny
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                          Exactly. Typically highly drafted corners, are ones who have blazing fast speed and quickness. However, these arent necessarily the most important qualities of a Tampa2 corner... hence drafting a guy like Leon Hall, Revis, etc... in round1 would be a bad idea.

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Kenny
                            Exactly. Typically highly drafted corners, are ones who have blazing fast speed and quickness. However, these arent necessarily the most important qualities of a Tampa2 corner... hence drafting a guy like Leon Hall, Revis, etc... in round1 would be a bad idea.
                            I uhhhh.......what?

I just posted the above lol id say most those guys worked out. Corners are drafted for thier ability not thier speed. Of course speed helps but then again thats all relative to what system you run. While the T2 CB's may not need blazing speed, saying its a bad idea because of that is sort of absurd.

Revis is built for the Cover 2 and will absolutley be drafted in the 1st.

I would like to see us draft Willis but looking at the personell and such I can see CB being a legit argument.

And if we do so its not necessarily a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X