PDA

View Full Version : San Diego may do what they said....

HHURRICANE
04-10-2007, 07:54 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>As I have said from day one don't be surprised if San Diego won't take less and just keeps Turner. The price is to high and that's why no deal is done. The Bills should not blink either and should wait til after the draft.

Michael Turner: Asking Price Remains High
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com (http://www.rotowire.com/users/ad_jump.asp?id=999)
Monday, April 9, 2007
Update: The Chargers are not likely to lower the asking price for Turner since they know that the two teams that are most interested in the running back have little else to fall back upon, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. Recommendation: Both the Bills and Titans got rid of their leading rushers from last season and do not appear to have players on their current rosters that are ready to step into the role of featured back. General Manager A.J. Smith appears willing to hang on to Turner through this season even if it means he will not get anything but a low compensatory draft choice for him after next season. We'll see if either Buffalo, Tennessee, or some other team steps up their pursuits in the coming days.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

don137
04-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I could see if they already had the draft but what are they smoking in San Diego? Sure Turner is good but the last I heard there are some pretty good running back available in the draft. It's not like the Titans or Bills have no options at RB.

patmoran2006
04-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Its really simple

SD is a championship team.. Why take a chance that your season is shot if LT gets hurt; just to pick up a third round draft choice? On top of that, Turner is 4th in the NFL in kick returns. SO he's very valuable to him.

IF I was SD I wouldnt give him up for anything less than a 2nd and another pick either.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Some of this is posturing by the Chargers.

They will wait until draft day, or close to it, to make the move.

HHURRICANE
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Its really simple

SD is a championship team.. Why take a chance that your season is shot if LT gets hurt; just to pick up a third round draft choice? On top of that, Turner is 4th in the NFL in kick returns. SO he's very valuable to him.

IF I was SD I wouldnt give him up for anything less than a 2nd and another pick either.

I agree with everything you said here and San Diego feels the same way.

However, if it was a 2nd and one other pick this deal would already be done.

I think they aren't taking anything less than a deal that includes a 1st rounder in the equation.

Bulldog
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I could see if they already had the draft but what are they smoking in San Diego? Sure Turner is good but the last I heard there are some pretty good running back available in the draft. It's not like the Titans or Bills have no options at RB.

Thats what I don't understand. SD and the media act like neither the Bills or the Titans have any other options at this point. The Titans obviously liked Lendale White enough to take him in the second round last year and the Bills have a high enough draft pick to land a quality RB in the draft this year. While I'm not enamored with the thought of Anthony Thomas and a rookie as Buffalo's only options at the RB spot, I also don't want Buffalo to pay SD's current asking price for Turner. Unless SD changes their asking price, I don't see a deal getting done.

OpIv37
04-10-2007, 08:11 AM
You know what, I'm sick of this garbage. Buffalo should just tell them to take the 2nd, and if not draft an RB in the second (or in the first if Willis is gone).

The Chargers are kidding themselves- while I think Turner is the best option, he's not the only option for getting production out of the position.

Enough BS- either they want our pick or they don't.

madness
04-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Some of this is posturing by the Chargers.

They will wait until draft day, or close to it, to make the move.

Most definitely.

Jan Reimers
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
The 12th pick in the first round is too valuable to give up for Turner. Period.

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I think what it comes down to is the Chargers see Turner as a valuable player for them and don't want to surrender him unless they get good value back. People keep saying he is a "backup RB", but he has more value to them than that. He is a top KR and contributed more yards than all but 3 Chargers last year on offense. He is a great insurance policy in case LT gets hurt.

Given that value, SD doesn't see holding onto Turner as a bad option, and aren't about to trade him just to get something back. It will come down to whether some team wants the guy bad enough to put together a package that they consider worthwhile.

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 08:24 AM
The 12th pick in the first round is too valuable to give up for Turner. Period.

As much as I like Turner, that is a given.

I think the Chargers are looking for a combination of current and future picks that might give them first round value.

Tatonka
04-10-2007, 08:31 AM
i think the best thing is to offer a 3rd this year, and the 3rd next year.. and put in escalators based on his production.

just like ricky williams.. if turner comes in here and produces 1500 yards, then he is WORTH a first round pick.. so give it to them.. next year.

alohabillsfan
04-10-2007, 08:42 AM
IMO we have to many holes to give away any picks! As a matter of fact I am a proponent of trading down and getting more picks! There is alot more "value" in rounds 2 and 3 than round 1. We need at least 1 CB, 2 LB's 1 FB, 1 TE, 1 RB maybe 2. Marv went out and signed 3 O linemen to upgrade the line (on paper) so any RB should be able to get 4 YPC! Will Marv take a flyer on M. Bush? Worked out last time taking a flyer on Thurman! Can we trade down and still get Beason or Timmons?

Only time will tell!

Jan Reimers
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
i think the best thing is to offer a 3rd this year, and the 3rd next year.. and put in escalators based on his production.

just like ricky williams.. if turner comes in here and produces 1500 yards, then he is WORTH a first round pick.. so give it to them.. next year.
That would put me in the same position I'm in with my own life insurance. The money (like Turner's 1500 yards) would be great. But I'd have to root against it.

JJamezz
04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't necessarily think this is one sided on SD's part... I'm sure the Bills would much rather let the first half of the 1st round play out before pulling the trigger on Turner..

If Tennessee was all that hot on him (or if they hadn't used a 2nd rounder on a RB last year), they'd probably have gotten something done by now.

justasportsfan
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
If they want a 1st and 3rd, screw them. Just draft Leonard. Have him block for A-Train for another year. We can either take Turner next year or draft one.

Bulldog
04-10-2007, 09:02 AM
If they want a 1st and 3rd, screw them. Just draft Leonard. Have him block for A-Train for another year. We can either take Turner next year or draft one.

And if they really want a 1st & 3rd, screw negotiating with SD, just sign Turner to a contract that SD won't match. Thats why I don't think SD is asking for a 1st & 3rd. The bottom line is I don't see any team giving SD a 1st this year for Turner. And I guess I can't really blame SD for wanting to hang on to Turner in case LT gets injured.

TigerJ
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
If a first and a third is San Diego's take it or leave it price, Buffalo should leave it, plain and simple. It's too much.

Jan Reimers
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
We received two 3rds (one of them next year) and a 7th for McGahee, whom I dislike, but who nevertheless has had 2 1,000+ yard seasons and another of nearly 1,000 yards.

And they want a 1st and a 3rd for Turner?

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Leonard is no FB. He might be able to play FB in a WCO where the fullback isn't required to lead block as much and is used more in the passing game, but he is not the type of guy you will line up in front of Anthony Thomas and smash in there. At the combine, he measured the exact same size as Thomas (6-2, 226#).

Bert102176
04-10-2007, 09:54 AM

EXACTLY and ty

camelcowboy
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
No way in hell they are going to get a 1st and a 3rd and they know it. Turner will not be dealt till draft day. It might go down on day two like the bledsoe deal some years back.

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Jim Trotter of the San Diego Union Tribune hosted an online chat (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20070409-1255-transcript.html) with several Turner-related items. It is hard to follow because it is a free-flow chat session, but here are the relevant items I found:

jimtrotter(A) i believe there's a definite chance of turner being traded. i would rate the bills as the favorites.

jimtrotter i believe the bills might be willing to surrender next year's first-rounder, that way they could address their need at linebacker this year. but who knows. it's all a guessing game at this point.

jimtrotter turner, i believe, is the pefect back for decembers in orchard park.

jimtrotter aj already has said that he's flexible, meaning the first doesn't have to be this year.

jimtrotter i don't mean to sway people one way or the other on turner and whether the chargers will get a first-rounder this year. i tend to doubt it, because the teams that need backs also have other holes, but who knows.