PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Scenarios and Value of Internet Mock Drafts

BigGabes23
04-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I took a quick look at some 2006 mock drafts that were basically the norm for the time right before the draft. The basic point is that the people who do these mock drafts have absolutely no idea where teams rate players. One common theme for NFL team in the draft is that they’re going to try to get the best value they can for a pick while filling team needs. Some examples of players values being WAY off according to the internet.
Winston Justice – Thought character issues moved him down, but he is just not very good. Saw little action in 06
Brodrick Bunkley – 6 tackles in 06. Not very strong and a slow learner. 2007 will tell if McCargo is the better player.
Dante Whitner – Probablly the best DB in the 06 draft. Many had him in the lower third of the first round
Chad Jackson – Top 15-20 for most, turns out to be a reach in rd. 2
The entire TE class. What a bust. Love V Davis, but he couldn’t stay on the field in 06.
The list continues…. probably a dozen names.
For me, Marshawn Lynch is the most over-rated player on most people’s mock list. I will agree that he is the second best running back, however, I do not think he is top 15 talent. I think he is should go towards the end of the first, beginning of the second. Furthermore, the group of Bush, Pittman, Irons, and Hunt all appear to me to be reaches in the second. (Especially Pittman, I watched every game he played in, and he is not a starting NFL RB).
To me, we have four equally pressing and immediate needs. Starting LB (insine or outside), RB, WR2, CB1/2. To me, I would sign Chris Brown after the draft if AP does not fall to us at 12, and Draft a RB in round 4 (love D Walker from ND). That combo should cover us at RB for at least a year, and leaves all 4 first day picks to use. I take Willis at 12 (who will be there), trade up to 29 to grab D Jarrett (who will not make it past 30 and SD), and then take BCBA at pick 73.
The other scenario would have us taking AP at 12. BLBA in the second, CB, WR in the third.
Both of these are better then the "popular" theories on most peoples board. Willis, Turner trade (plus next years 3<SUP>rd</SUP> pick), CB, WR. Or Lynch, LB, CB, WR. I honestly think Lynch could make it to the Texans in the second.

Thoughts?

patmoran2006
04-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Good points, but use paragraphs, that was getting painful to read

patmoran2006
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I think getting Willis is the key to the draft.. I think if we get him, everything wil fall into place, and if we dont, we'll be scrambling and making "reaches" and have to hope they work out.

I just cant imagine AP falling to us, if he did, you'd HAVE to to take him.

Mr. Miyagi
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Adrian Peterson is the overrated one. I would not be upset if we take him because I trust that Marv and co. know more than I do. But at this point I am in no way sold on this guy, at all.

patmoran2006
04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
As for Internet Mock drafts..

They are wrong sometimes of course, but for the most part I think the reputable sites are credible.

The thing that most mocks base too much emphasis on the team's specific needs, and sometimes overlook if the player is a fit into that system..

IE- If Cato June came out right now, he'd only be valuable to a team that runs a cover two.. Take Rufus alexander.. The Bills may want him in round two, but if he went to a defense like the Jets- They wouldnt have any use for him even in round 6.

Sometimes character issues get overlooked too, I know cause I sometimes do it myself.

Nighthawk
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
How can I take you seriously when you say that Pittman, Irons, Bush and Hunt are reaches in the 2nd, but then you state that you love Walker out of ND? Walker is slow, small and can't be a full-time starter. Please tell me how he would make the Bills better? Uggh!

ShadowHawk7
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd like Irons or Pittmann in the early 3rd, but our hand may be forced to take one of em' with our 2nd.

YardRat
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Willis and Jarrett could also turn out to be this year's Bunkley and Justice.

Bills4Life34
04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I hope we can get AP somehow some way the guy is gonna be a monster in the NFL!

jamze132
04-11-2007, 04:06 AM
AP might be a monster in the NFL, but Patrick Willis will mean more to our team than any RB we could possibly draft.

Night Train
04-11-2007, 04:58 AM
This is a paper thin RB class, to say the least. Now some may understand why the Bills are going after Turner.

If no Turner, then the Bills must select wisely.

BigGabes23
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
How can I take you seriously when you say that Pittman, Irons, Bush and Hunt are reaches in the 2nd, but then you state that you love Walker out of ND? Walker is slow, small and can't be a full-time starter. Please tell me how he would make the Bills better? Uggh!

You think Walker is slow becase you saw his 40 time posted on the Internet. He is a perfect third down back with little risk with our 4th round pick. He can block really well and has terrific elusiveness. He is a fantastic I have watched every game he has played in. Paired with a one year stop gap, Chris Brown, we would have a productive backfield. This to me is a much better option then reaching for a RB with pick 43 (i think), when you can find a starting LB or corner, or possibly a WR2. Finally, Pittman is the "best" of the mentioned RB group, and I saw every game he played in as well. He is coming out early because he is going to lose his Job to Chris Wells.