• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Falling prospects

While bad workouts and off-field problems can cause a prospect to drop, circumstances beyond a player's control may also affect draft grades.

2. California senior cornerback Daymeion Hughes
    Hughes' trouble started when he ran in the high 4.6-4.7 range at the NFL scouting combine in February. He rebounded a few weeks later with slightly better times, but he also failed to show ideal quickness and change-of-direction skills when being timed in the drills portion of his workout.
    The good news for Hughes is that he has too much good game film to simply overlook because of his average workout results, plus most evaluators in the industry already knew he was a 4.6-type range runner. Hughes has very good instincts and his play on special teams help balance out his grade. Still, he is now more likely to be taken late in the second round or early third by a Cover 2 team that can scheme him away from being caught too often in man coverage situations.
    Sounds perfect for our first 3rd round pick...

4. Florida State junior outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons
    Here is a perfect case of a prospect that really hasn't done anything wrong. However, the popularity of linebackers in free agency and the belief that teams can find guys similar to him in the early-to-mid rounds could make Timmons more of a mid-to-late first-round choice opposed to an earlier top-15 projection.
    Timmons had average workouts for a player of his ability and skill level, but his times still represent a good impression of the prospect you see on game film. Also, it seems like he would fit ideally in a scheme that allows him the freedom to be uncovered, play in space and use his lateral quickness and athleticism. Therefore, a handful of defensive coordinators may not think he is the best fit for their scheme, so he could remain on the board while two-three other prospects at this spot are selected.
    Another nice fit should he slide into the 2nd or if we trade down in the case of Willis not being there.

They also had a piece on Lynch and Branch. Of course, this is just a slice of "conventional wisdom," but Murphy's insights seemd pretty grounded and logical.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Falling prospects

Ill add Michael Bush, Jamaal Anderson, Leon Hall, and Reggie Nelson to that list.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

If the Bills traded down and wound up with Timmons, I'd be thrilled. If selected in Round 2, he'd be an outright steal. If they got stuck watching Willis, Okoye, Peterson and others selected ahead of pick #12, he would be a good fallback option.

Timmons is a hell of a LB with his best football still to come. Instant starter.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mikemac2001
        is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
        • Mar 2003

Willis and Timmons?

MUCK
        FIAMI

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be suprised if our first 2 picks were on LBs.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The Answer
            The Plagiarist
            • Mar 2007

From everything The Answer has seen, Marshawn Lynch seems to be falling off the radar as well due to off field question marks.

Could be another Randy Moss scenario - The Answer does have him graded as a mid - late 1st round talent though.

~The Answer

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Daymeion Hughes

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Negatives: Lacks ideal upper body strength and fails to generate much force behind his hits … Has lean muscles, but doesn't have much more room on his frame to add more bulk … Has had good success picking off passes, but must be the luckiest defender around, as he shows poor vision and awareness when trying to read keys and diagnose the plays … Gets too confident in his skills and likes to trash talk with receivers, but is often burned when he challenges them by allowing a big cushion (lacks the second gear or burst to recover) … Better in press coverage, as he takes too many chances and lacks the speed to shadow and trail in route progression … Will generally come out of his pedal too early or take false steps in transition, which results in him getting turned around and separated from the speedy receivers in long routes … Will come up and support the run, but lacks the hand strength to come off blocks and gets lost in trash, failing to locate the ball in a timely fashion … More of a chaser than a player who will put force behind his hits … Lacks the long pursuit speed to cover receivers in the deep secondary … Needs to do a better job of avoiding blockers, as he tends to run right into spots and is quickly neutralized … Is consistently beaten by double moves and pump fakes, as he lacks eye discipline playing in off coverage, as he tends to lock on to the quarterback too long … Gets engulfed by the offensive linemen too often on attempts to come off the edge on the blitz … Times his leaps well, but has just a marginal vertical leap (28½ inches).

There's plenty of stuff there to make me not want him as a Bill.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bills4Life34
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Ill add Michael Bush, Jamaal Anderson, Leon Hall, and Reggie Nelson to that list.
                Actually i think that Leon Hall and Reggie Nelson both go in the 1st. Nelson is the second best safety in the draft behind, Landry!

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

why is jamaal anderson falling?
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bills4Life34
                    Actually i think that Leon Hall and Reggie Nelson both go in the 1st. Nelson is the second best safety in the draft behind, Landry!
                    agreed, nelson is a top notch playmaker, watching him in just a few games this year he seemed to always be around the ball and i would think nfl scouts have noticed. im surprised he was on the list at all..

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                      • Mar 2007

can someone please say AP he was a definant top 3 now he COULD slide to 12?

Comment

• clumping platelets

<-----------worth a 1st rd pick

Comment

• Tinboy
                          • Aug 2004

Could Lynch be falling to the second round?

In that case I would take him.

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

I love how peoples "draft status" falls when nothing is going on leading up to the draft. I blame Kiper's stupid ass for opening his stupid mouth. I do not understand why everyone makes a big deal out of "draft status". The teams already have their "big boards" ready and they pretty much know what they are going to try and do. Screw all the so-called draft experts who say that someones stock rises and falls when the player takes a dump every morning.

Comment

Working...
                            X