PDA

View Full Version : Chris Drury

chernobylwraiths
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
This is the man we need to keep here when all is said and done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/04/10/chris.drury0416/index.html

shelby
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuury!

i agree!

SabreEleven
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I wanna have Drury's babies.

YardRat
04-10-2007, 05:28 PM
We've got a better chance of keeping him than Briere...That's for sure.

I hope he does stay on after this year. There's enough talent on the team to help try to cover the loss of Briere, but Drury leaving would create a huge void in the leadership department.

RockStar36
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Drury means a lot more to the team IMO. I'm hoping to keep both but if they can only keep one, Drury is the one.

YardRat
04-10-2007, 06:06 PM
We're losing one for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost both.

That's a discussion for after the time we raise the Cup, though :D

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I am not worried about losing Drury as much as losing Briere and Vanek.

Nighthawk
04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd love to have them both, but if I need to choose, then I would pick Briere. We have Drury's replacement on the roster right now...his name is Drew Stafford. This guy will be a leader with more talent than Drury. I really like Stafford's game and think he will only get better.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd love to have them both, but if I need to choose, then I would pick Briere. We have Drury's replacement on the roster right now...his name is Drew Stafford. This guy will be a leader with more talent than Drury. I really like Stafford's game and think he will only get better.

You can't be serious.

chernobylwraiths
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Vanek is a restricted free agent so he should be able to be kept for a few more years.

SabreEleven
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Stafford is no where near the leader Drury is....Drew needs Drury around a few more years to teach him the ropes. Nobody is a better leader than Drury.

Philagape
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Drury's an awesome leader, but he wouldn't leave a void ... they wouldn't have given Briere a C if he wasn't a leader too.

chernobylwraiths
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Briere will cost a lot more money IMO. I just hope Drury WANTS to stay.

There is also a nice interview of him in the GR55 audiovault from today's afternoon show.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Drury's an awesome leader, but he wouldn't leave a void ... they wouldn't have given Briere a C if he wasn't a leader too.

Drury is one of the best leaders in the NHL.

Saying he would not leave a void is turning a blind eye to the obvious.

Drury holds this team together on the ice.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Vanek is a restricted free agent so he should be able to be kept for a few more years.

I keep thinking about a team giving him a huge contract that the Sabres can't match. The team on the other hand signing him won't be to worried about giving up the first five round draft picks for a future superstar.

tampabay25690
04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Drury means a lot more to the team IMO. I'm hoping to keep both but if they can only keep one, Drury is the one.

Never happen VANEK is gonna look for a huge deal as well 3 guys making around $5mill never happen

Philagape
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM

What Drury leaves behind has nothing to do with Drury. If by "void" you mean a lack of leadership, that's equally blind. I'm not saying he's not the leader of leaders, but they won't be chickens with their head cut off without him.

Plus, if they do what's expected of them this spring, they'll have two deep playoff runs and hopefully a Stanley Cup. They won't be a bunch of kids anymore in the fall. They'll be battle tested and know how to win. They wouldn't fall apart.

Nighthawk
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
You can't be serious.

Drury is a great leader, but not worth paying 6 million a year. All I'm saying is that there are other character guys that we can keep that cost less than 6 million. I'd love to keep both Drury and Briere, but pure talent is harder to find and Briere has that. Plus, Vanek will be getting a huge contract also. Don't be blinded by your love of a player.

Nighthawk
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM

I agree with his leadership skills, but his 6 million a year contract will ultimately tear the team apart. You have to choose the pieces of your puzzle and I just don't see paying 6 million a year for 69 points when you can get Briere for the same money and more offense. Just my opinion.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Don't be blinded by your love of a player.

Reap what you sew.

Nighthawk
04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Reap what you sew.

This statement makes no sense, but OK.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 09:06 PM
This statement makes no sense, but OK.

You said I shouldn't be blinded by the love of a player, I am saying you are doing the same thing.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree with his leadership skills, but his 6 million a year contract will ultimately tear the team apart. You have to choose the pieces of your puzzle and I just don't see paying 6 million a year for 69 points when you can get Briere for the same money and more offense. Just my opinion.

More offense does not make one more valuable.

Briere will likely cost more anyway. Give me Drury at the same value or a million less over Briere.

And I disagree that leadership is easier to replace than talent.

Philagape
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
As long as games are still decided by the team that scores more goals, offense is my highest priority.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
That is a simple way of looking at things.

The best teams always had leaders. Was Steve Yzerman the Red Wings leading scorer every year? No. But he was the most important.

Drury brings intangibles. as well as non-offense skills (i.e. face-offs, penalty killing) that Briere does not.

chernobylwraiths
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Briere will cost 7 to 8 million for another team, Drury will cost 5 to 6.

Briere's offense would be missed, but Drury gives more to this team and still has good offensive output. Preventing goals is as important as scoring them.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Briere will cost 7 to 8 million for another team, Drury will cost 5 to 6.

Briere's offense would be missed, but Drury gives more to this team and still has good offensive output. Preventing goals is as important as scoring them.

Along with winning faceoffs, although Briere is almost at 50%

Philagape
04-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Each player does things better than the other. IMO what Briere does better would be a greater loss.

If Drury leaves and Briere stays, then Briere would be the leader, and I'm fine with that.

Michael82
04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
:hi5:

Michael82
04-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Anyone who thinks that Drury's leadership will be a huge void to fill needs to wake up. Have you ever listened to the postgame shows? Danny Briere is a leader and can easily take on that role. Plus he can score a ton of goals and help set up other guys for goals. 95 points is the most since LaFontaine. How could we get rid of that?

chernobylwraiths
04-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Drury commands respect just by being who he is. Nobody on this team and only a handful of players in the entire league have that kind of respect. I'm sure "Mr embellishment" doesn't have that same respect. Briere wouldn't be the player he is without Drury.

Bufftp
04-11-2007, 06:35 AM
T.C. will replace Briere.
Keep Drury.
We can't afford to have 40% of the payroll tied up in two players.

Dr. Lecter
04-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Anyone who thinks that Drury's leadership will be a huge void to fill needs to wake up. Have you ever listened to the postgame shows? Danny Briere is a leader and can easily take on that role. Plus he can score a ton of goals and help set up other guys for goals. 95 points is the most since LaFontaine. How could we get rid of that?

Stopping goals is just as important. Drury is much, much better defensively than Briere.

It is about much more than scoring. Drury is a proven winner and has more playoff experience than any other player on this roster and has been a winner his entire life.

Stafford can more easily replace Briere's output than anybody can replace Drury's output, which is not all on paper.

YardRat
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
This is such a great article, I wanted to bump it back up to the top.

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 07:23 PM
If Briere keeps playing the invisible man, then I may change my opinion of who we should keep!

Michael82
04-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I read this article while at work the other day. What a great article. And I have changed my opinion. After hearing more about Drury and his history and what he has done for this team, he's a must re-sign and I'd put him over Briere. I WANT them both re-signed. But Chris Drury is a priority, especially when you consider their postseasons so far.

Michael82
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
If Drury leaves and Briere stays, then Briere would be the leader, and I'm fine with that.

That's the one key. Briere has been working with Drury for a while now and you gotta believe that Drury has groomed Briere and taught him what he knows. I have no doubt that Briere can become a leader of the team. But I will say that Drury would still be missed no matter what. Hell, both players will be missed.

Philagape
04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm keeping an open mind. I'll see how the rest of the playoffs go. Drury's been a rock in front of the net tonight.

Michael82
04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm keeping an open mind. I'll see how the rest of the playoffs go. Drury's been a rock in front of the net tonight.
yeah he has. I'm keeping an open mind too. Either way, I want them both to stay and I'm thinking it would be a toss up. But Drury seems like a better fit for a team like the Sabres that keeps getting in the postseason. He's clutch!

MTBillsFan
04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
This was one of the best article's I've read in a long time!
"In some ways it's already been decided," Drury says. "Mentally and physically, if you're prepared and you make your move, you make what you think is a good shot. If it doesn't go in, it wasn't meant to be. There's not much sense in fearing that." thank you si.com
I lived by this quote this past week and ended up getting a job in Minnesota because of it!

pyrrhonist
04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
That is an excellent article, BTW. Not only did I read it online, I actually bought a crap ass SI just so I could own the article. Drury is nothing but class.

chernobylwraiths
05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
PLEASE DARCY, RESIGN CHRIS!!!

Michael82
05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Please Drury....sign a long term deal with Buffalo! :pray: