PDA

View Full Version : Turner Update

jdbillsfan
04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
This is from a fantasy football site that I had registered for last year:

** Our Titans source tells us the team is "indeed very interested" in nabbing restricted free-agent Chargers RB Michael Turner after a "wonderful visit" to Nashville last week. The buzz is that the Titans offered their 19th overall pick and a 3rd-rounder for Turner and San Diego's 30th overall pick. So basically San Diego would just move up 11 spots in the 1st round plus add a 3rd-round pick. Turner's restricted tender actually calls for an extra 1st- (not just swapping up) and 3rd-rounder in compensation, so it's up to Chargers GM A.J. Smith to accept this lesser offer in a sign-and-trade deal. However, our source also says not only is Buffalo "really after him" but Green Bay is now "in the mix" as well... Fantasy Nation is watching this situation closely because not only could it shake up the NFL Draft with exchanged picks, many experts see Turner as capable of top-10 fantasy status in a feature role.

Devin
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
LOL. I dont know man......

I like turner but thats a hell of a swap.

Tenn needs to focus on sorting out thier secondary. Thanks Pacman!

feelthepain
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
If Tenn gets Turnner they will have some serious firepower. A one two punch with Turnner and White, Vince Young at QB! They do need to replace Bennett but this draft is deep at WR they could land a WR in the second.

Bills4Life34
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Honestly i would not give up a 1st for turner man that's real. yeah the guy had a 6 ypg avg, but the main reason for that IMO is NEAL!. can the guy do that every single game for the entire season i really doubt that..

Bills4Life34
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
If Tenn gets Turnner they will have some serious firepower. A one two punch with Turnner and White, Vince Young at QB! They do need to replace Bennett but this draft is deep at WR they could land a WR in the second.

Don't know about that guy, have you heard the weight issues they got with that Kat right now? Homeboy is eating his way out of Tenn.

Carlton Bailey
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Honestly i would not give up a 1st for turner man that's real. yeah the guy had a 6 ypg avg, but the main reason for that IMO is NEAL!. can the guy do that every single game for the entire season i really doubt that..

Your sig clearly has a picture of Willis McGahee, but it says "Lee Evans" next to it. What gives?

ddaryl
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
If that's the case then Turner has no chance of being a Bill

Bills4Life34
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Your sig clearly has a picture of Willis McGahee, but it says "Lee Evans" next to it. What gives?

Thanks for the heads up, yeah i clearly see that i was messing with some sigs last night and put the wrong writting up on it. LOL:oops:
<!-- / message -->

camelcowboy
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
whats the site?

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
With the swap of firsts and the Titan's 3rd it totals 440 points on the trade chart.

Buffalo's 2nd round pick straight up is worth 470 points on the trade chart.

Not that the trade chart is the end-all-be-all, but the trade value of that offer is less than it sounds.

feelthepain
04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
With the swap of firsts and the Titan's 3rd it totals 440 points on the trade chart.

Not that the trade chart is the end-all-be-all, but the trade value of that offer is less than it sounds.

Maybe Turnner doesn't want to play in Buffalo, so Tenn becomes the only option. Also I don't think 30 pts would be a make or break on any deal, it's simply not a big enough difference to worry about.

ShadowHawk7
04-10-2007, 10:20 PM
That's not a bad trade. Trade down 11 spots, plus a mid third..

Ickybaluky
04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Maybe Turnner doesn't want to play in Buffalo, so Tenn becomes the only option. Also I don't think 30 pts would be a make or break on any deal, it's simply not a big enough difference to worry about.

Just pointing out the trade offer isn't as valuable as one initially might think.

As for not wanting to go to Buffalo, why would he visit then? Him and his agent decide where he visits.

feelthepain
04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Just pointing out the trade offer isn't as valuable as one initially might think.

As for not wanting to go to Buffalo, why would he visit then? Him and his agent decide where he visits.

Money!! If the Bills aren't willing to spend, then they may not be a place Turnner wants to play, maybe he didn't like the city, maybe he didn't like the facilities. Myabe he liked all the above, ofcourse he won't know any of this till he visits. I was just generalizing.

Ed
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
If a team isn't willing to give SD what they want, it's irrelevant how much Turner wants to play there. If Buffalo were the only team offering SD what they feel is fair compensation, all AJ Smith has to do is tell Turner he can work out a contract with Buffalo, or stay in SD for another year.

The only way Turner really has any say in where he goes is if teams are willing to sign him to an offer sheet and give up their 1st and 3rd this year, but no one is going to do that.

So it's really up to AJ Smith who he wants to trade Turner to. At that point Turner can decide if he would want to play for that team or not and try and work out a deal, or remain in SD and wait until next year to become an UFA.

My understanding from what his agent said is that he really just wants a chance to play. As long as he has a chance to start and can sign a decent contract, I think he'd be willing to play just about anywhere.

He's going to be a year older next offseason and have to compete with what should be a very deep draft for RB. Not to mention the risk of injury before he can cash in.

If Buffalo is the only team that offers a fair trade or what SD feels is the best trade, I don't think Turner would pass up the opportunity to play here.

acehole
04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I agree. I for one would do it for a second rounder or a swap of firsts and one third. This is not that big a deal.....

Scumbag College
04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
If the Bills have to beat that trade offer, than forget it! No way do they mortgage most of their draft to get him. Too many holes to fill on this team, and I rather have RB by committee. If PW is there at 12, I'd be happy with the Bills taking him and still having three more day one picks to use on RB, WR, maybe TE, CB, and another LB still.

TigerJ
04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
That would be a good deal for the Titans, but I can't see San Diego pulling the trigger after shooting off their mouths about wanting a first and a third. If I were Buffalo, I would consider a swap of firsts plus a third, and Buffalo has a lot more to offer in terms of first round draft position. Make San Diego a reasonable offer and leave it on the table when the draft starts. If San Diego jumps on it fine. If not, draft a running back.

Meathead
04-10-2007, 11:26 PM
the only good thing about the bills swapping the firsts is a lower signing bonus for their first rounder

just dont like it. the 12 is a probable blue chipper and the third is a strong prospect for a starting job next year. turner would have to be damn good to make up for that and im not confident the odds are on the bills side there

pass

jdbillsfan
04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
whats the site?

www.draftsharks.com

They send out nfl updates via e-mail. I haven't been to the site to see if it is there too, but I did get an e-mail.

Saratoga Slim
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
If the Bills have to beat that trade offer, than forget it! No way do they mortgage most of their draft to get him. Too many holes to fill on this team, and I rather have RB by committee. If PW is there at 12, I'd be happy with the Bills taking him and still having three more day one picks to use on RB, WR, maybe TE, CB, and another LB still.

I'd be OK with taking willis at 12 and keeping all out picks.

But I'm also fine with getting Turner and thus resolving the RB situation, dropping down to 30, taking Beason or the next best available LB, and still having a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

If willis isn't there at 12 we'll probably end up taking the next best available LB anyway.

Earthquake Enyart
04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
How about swapping firsts and throwing in the Raven's 3rd we got for Willis?

HHURRICANE
04-11-2007, 09:08 AM
The buzz is that the Titans offered their 19th overall pick and a 3rd-rounder for Turner and San Diego's 30th overall pick. So basically San Diego would just move up 11 spots in the 1st round plus add a 3rd-round pick.

I'm calling BS on this. Moving up 11 spots get's you what great player at 19 that won't be there at 30? I highly doubt that San Diego likes or is willing to take this deal.

I actually think TN and San Diego are both losers on that deal.

Goobylal
04-11-2007, 09:14 AM
The points are less than the Bills' 2nd rounder straight-up. But the Titans deal COULD get them a better player in the 1st.

jdbillsfan
04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
The buzz is that the Titans offered their 19th overall pick and a 3rd-rounder for Turner and San Diego's 30th overall pick. So basically San Diego would just move up 11 spots in the 1st round plus add a 3rd-round pick.

I'm calling BS on this. Moving up 11 spots get's you what great player at 19 that won't be there at 30? I highly doubt that San Diego likes or is willing to take this deal.

I actually think TN and San Diego are both losers on that deal.

BS on what? That the Titans made that offer?

It is probable that San Diego wants more, which is why the deal hasn't been done, but it doesn't mean that the Titans didn't offer it.

I think it would be a very good deal for the Titans.

HHURRICANE
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
BS on what? That the Titans made that offer?

It is probable that San Diego wants more, which is why the deal hasn't been done, but it doesn't mean that the Titans didn't offer it.

I think it would be a very good deal for the Titans.

I think this article is pure specualtion.

Don't Panic
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
How about swapping firsts and throwing in the Raven's 3rd we got for Willis?

Good thought... that would trump the Titans offer. The bottom line is, would you rather have Turner and, say, Timmons with our 2nd and 3rd or, say, Willis with our 2nd, 3rd and the Ravens 3rd? I love Willis, but I'd take the former.

Bulldog
04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Money!! If the Bills aren't willing to spend, then they may not be a place Turnner wants to play, maybe he didn't like the city, maybe he didn't like the facilities. Myabe he liked all the above, ofcourse he won't know any of this till he visits. I was just generalizing.

Yeah, because Buffalo won't spend any money right? How much money has Miami spent in FA again? Go worry about who Miami is going to line up behind center this year.

EDS
04-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Let us all keep in mind that there is a huge difference between trading down from 12 to 30 as opposed to 19 to 30.

HAMMER
04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
How starved for new nuggets are you guys that you take a fantasy football sites comments seriously?

feelthepain
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, because Buffalo won't spend any money right? How much money has Miami spent in FA again? Go worry about who Miami is going to line up behind center this year.

Bulldog:

"Sniff, sniff, Boo hooo, stop posting here Dolphin fan or I'll cry!!! My mommy needs to put me down for my nap!!! Sniff, sniff".

Bulldog
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Bulldog:

"Sniff, sniff, Boo hooo, stop posting here Dolphin fan or I'll cry!!! My mommy needs to put me down for my nap!!! Sniff, sniff".

Great response. Pretty predicatable though. I guess when you know nothing about football, you have to resort to this. Good job!

LifetimeBillsFan
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
With the Bills' needs on defense, under no circumstances would I spend their first round draft pick to obtain Turner or any RB in the draft--including Peterson--if Willis is still on the board (if Peterson falls to #12 and Willis is gone, I would talk to GB or any team picking in the middle of the round about trading down with them for extra picks, but would not trade down so far that I would lose out on the next best LB on their board).

If the Titans are making this kind of offer, the most I would counter with would be the Bills' second rounder. No additional picks. I would not pay more for Turner than the Colts and Seattle were asking for--and were unable to get-in return for E.James and S.Alexander when they were free agents (Turner is NOT the proven Top 5 RB that they were at the time!).

If SD doesn't take that offer or the Titans are willing to pay more, so be it.

With A.Thomas, the Bills can get by for a year if they draft a RB with that second round pick or even their 3rd rounder--there could be as many as eight potential franchise backs in next year's draft (McFadden, Slaton, Rice, J.Davis, Hart, I.Johnson, Choice, etc.)--if they fill the holes that they have on defense in this year's draft. They will need to keep their draft picks, especially their first rounder, to fill those holes. And, they will need to use that 3rd round pick that they got from Baltimore judiciously, either to add a player or to move up in the draft to get another playmaker if they want to compete with the Pats who have been stockpiling picks and using htem to build their quality and depth for years and the Jets, who are now following the Pats' model.

Turner has the potential to be a pretty good starting RB, but I would not overpay to get him. That's what the Chargers are counting on someone doing and they will hold out to see how much they can get. But, they can't hold out too long and risk not only having to pay Turner what they tendered him, but also end up losing him after this coming season getting nothing in return. So, they have to make a deal. It makes no sense to give them as much as they are asking for if it is going to jeopardize the Bills' chances to finish rebuilding their defense: offense may put fannies in the seats, but defense wins championships--and Marv Levy knows this better than anyone else around!

Ultra Chimp 1
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
If we don't sign Turner, we're going to miss out on a powerful offense with tremendous firepower.

If that's what Tennesee is offering, then the Bills should match or sweeten the freakin deal.

I'd rather watch a young Bills team get into 60 point scoring contests rather than defensive battles - it'll put bums in the seats and chip away at the possibility of more blackouts in 2007.

Although both positions are important, a great touchdown producing running back is and should always be preferred over a great linebacker.

More often than not, runningbacks win teams games not linebackers.

And isn't the whole point of football to outscore the other team?

realdealryan
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Why would he get on the plane if he didn't want to play here? Free booze?

feelthepain
04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Great response. Pretty predicatable though. I guess when you know nothing about football, you have to resort to this. Good job!

No more predictable then you having an issue with anyone who isn't a Bill fan. Why don't you just worry about you.

MVP
04-11-2007, 03:55 PM
swap and a 4th

Bulldog
04-12-2007, 07:03 AM
No more predictable then you having an issue with anyone who isn't a Bill fan. Why don't you just worry about you.

I have no problem with fans of other teams that want to come in here and have an intelligent conversation about Bills related topics or just football in general. What I do have a problem with is trolls such as yourself who come on here and post inflamitory remarks and then cry when people call them out on it. You add no value what so ever to this board and we'd all be better off if you would go somewhere else to proclaim the greatness of the Miami Dolphins.

feelthepain
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I have no problem with fans of other teams that want to come in here and have an intelligent conversation about Bills related topics or just football in general. What I do have a problem with is trolls such as yourself who come on here and post inflamitory remarks and then cry when people call them out on it. You add no value what so ever to this board and we'd all be better off if you would go somewhere else to proclaim the greatness of the Miami Dolphins.

Yeah, while you say whatever you like about every other teams without being trashed for it. So basically you can throw your digs around and you always do, but you want others not to do the same. How mature of you. I say far more positive things about the Bills then you ever say about the Dolphins, so get over yourself!

gr8slayer
04-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah, while you say whatever you like about every other teams without being trashed for it. So basically you can throw your digs around and you always do, but you want others not to do the same. How mature of you. I say far more positive things about the Bills then you ever say about the Dolphins, so get over yourself!
What a saint :rolleyes:

Bulldog
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Exactly my point. This is a BILLS message board. I don't go over to Fin Heaven and start running smack about Miami. Nor do I sit on there and try to defend Buffalo every step of the way if someone there is bashing them. You are a troll in every sense of the word. Your posts suck 99.9% of the time, so be gone already. And your damn right I don't have anything positive to say about Miami, because I really don't care about Miami. You obviously care way more about the Bills and it's fans than I do about Miami's. Otherwise, you wouldn't spend so much of your pathetic life on this message board. 0-2

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2007, 11:47 AM
If everyone put the trolls on ignore, they'll go away by themselves eventually.

Ultra Chimp 1
04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
If everyone put the trolls on ignore, they'll go away by themselves eventually.

The ignore function is for wusses.