PDA

View Full Version : Whitner wasnt all that much a reach

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I just wanted to state that Donte Whitner wasnt as much of a reach last year as some people on here think.

Sure nobody other than Mayock, including myself had him going as high as 8 to Buffalo. But it wasn't like he was a late-first round projection.

I remember in my own mock draft last year I had Whitner going 16th to Miami. And I remember there were a ton of other mocks that had him going right around there as well. I actually had Buffalo taking a safety at 8 last year as did others on here; just had the wrong guy. I Had Jimmy Williams, with Whitner as my third ranked safetey.

This year, I dont know but I think they are targeting LB with their first pick.. If Willis is gone, I wouldnt be surprised if the pick is Beason or Pos.. I wont complain about Beason, but I'll be very dissapointed if its Pos, mainly because Beason will be much better in this system, IMO.

gr8slayer
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Every draft pick on the first day is a reach in the grand scheme of things.

justasportsfan
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
it's easy to say taht after the fact. He was a reach to the rest of the NFL but not the bills coaches who got the guy they wanted .

If the bills draft Beason with the 12th, IMO would be a reach but I will once again give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing because of Whitner.

Ed
04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Well if it's true that Pitt would consider taking Beason at #15, then the Bills taking him at #12 wouldn't really be a reach at all. He just seemed to suddenly come out of nowhere as a possibility at #12. I'd definitely take him over Pos too.

gr8slayer
04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
it's easy to say taht after the fact. He was a reach to the rest of the NFL but not the bills coaches who got the guy they wanted .

If the bills draft Beason with the 12th, I will once again give them the benfit of the doubt that they know what they are doing because of Whitner.
I give them the benefit of the doubt until we get worse record wise.

justasportsfan
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I give them the benefit of the doubt until we get worse record wise.
what about 7-9 again?

gr8slayer
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
what about 7-9 again?
Well that's in one year. As long as we continue to improve they can do whatever they want.

Ickybaluky
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I just wanted to state that Donte Whitner wasnt as much of a reach last year as some people on here think.

Hindsight is great, no?

I'm willing to bet you were having an apolplexy when the pick was made.

justasportsfan
04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Hindsight is great, no?

I'm willing to bet you were having an apolplexy when the pick was made.

we all did. I didn't even know who Whitner was. I wasn't around to watch the bills pick Whitner. When I found out we picked him I was like :huh: but soon turned into :roflmao: when I heard the fins drafted Allen.

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 10:16 AM
we all did. I didn't even know who Whitner was. I wasn't around to watch the bills pick Whitner. When I found out we picked him I was like :huh: but soon turned into :roflmao: when I heard the fins drafted Allen.
Actually, I didnt.

OF course, I didnt have Whitner rated as high as 8th (I had him going to Miami at 16), but even you will remember I defended the the draft like crazy.

I had Buffalo taking the 2nd best safety at #8.. I just had Jimmy Williams penciled in, not Whitner.

The ONLY pick I hated at the time was McCargo, and I still do today

Ickybaluky
04-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Actually, I didnt.

You didn't?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468286&postcount=9

I have no problem with WHITNER..

I have a huge FN problem with him at number EIGHT.......... I cant wait to hear why "we couldnt trade down".

This is bull****.. Tom Modrak needs to hung. I blame him

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468369&postcount=11

I am SOOO Pissed with left Leinart on the board, I NEVER expected him to be there.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468387&postcount=1

SOMEONE and I mean ANYONE please tell me HOW Donte Whitner at pick number 8 is THAT much a better safety than these guys in the second round.

Daniel Bullocks, Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing, Pat Watkins.

At least TWO of those four safeties will be there in the second round.

Jason Allen and Jimmy Williams were MID first round talent, as was Donte Whitner to 31 other teams besides the Bills.

What a horrible, horrible HORRIBLE decision.
They should have either taken Bunkley or Ngata (though I hate him) or given the circumstances, how the **** could they leave Leinart on the board and not do ANYTHING about that?

I understand you flip-flopped later on (big surprise), but you can't say you didn't think the guy was a reach at the time.

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Who didnt moments after the pick?

You can cut and paste about 97% of the board on here and their WHitner reaction then and now.

And within 24 hours after the draft I had published **** on Yahoo and Scout.com praising the draft; and in a "rankings" category had the Bills 4th out of 32 in the draft itself.

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
I was never pissed at the whitner pick.. I was livid that we didnt trade down a few spots and take him.

justasportsfan
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Who didnt moments after the pick?

. Not me!!!! :bravo:

I didn't know who he was to even formulate an opinion :couch:

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Not me!!!! :bravo:

I didn't know who he was to even formulate an opinion :couch:
Well then congrats, you fall into that 3% bracket mentioned

justasportsfan
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Well then congrats, you fall into that 3% bracket mentioned

I swear Moran is not a german family name but it seems like it everytime a joke swishes right passed your head.

Bills4Life34
04-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Man i would love for us to take AP, if not maybe a LB in the 1st. we really need Help at the LB spot. what you guys think about getting a CB in the 2nd or 3rd?

ShadowHawk7
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
So am I right that our draft board looks like this?
1. AP
2. Willis
3. Trade Down
4. Beason
5. Lynch
?

socalfan
04-11-2007, 03:36 PM
You didn't?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468286&postcount=9

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468369&postcount=11

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1468387&postcount=1

I understand you flip-flopped later on (big surprise), but you can't say you didn't think the guy was a reach at the time.

It isn't fair to point out these posts. Clearly, you could easily have found posts from Moran that champion Whitner also. That's the beauty of it all. He's the teflon man.

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
It isn't fair to point out these posts. Clearly, you could easily have found posts from Moran that champion Whitner also. That's the beauty of it all. He's the teflon man.
Jump off the Rooty Poo Bridge, will ya..

socalfan
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Jump off the Rooty Poo Bridge, will ya..

If I wait ten minutes will you change your mind?

Tatonka
04-12-2007, 12:30 AM
If I wait ten minutes will you change your mind?

:roflmao:

feldspar
04-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Whitner came in and contributed right away.

He was rookie of the month in September last year.

I have to admit that I didn't understand the pick at first, but I took the "wait and see" attitude a few hours after the pick. It panned out. I love Whitner on this team.

I also didn't understand trading up for McCargo even more than the Whitner pick. Unfortuneately, McCargo broke his foot early on, so we'll have to see where that deal leads.

The moral to the story is to give management the benefit of the doubt.

I'm psyched for this years draft. It's right around the corner.

jamze132
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM
I just think this thread is the greatest. Yeah I know just about everyone changes their minds like a baby diaper but this is pretty good stuff. I know I am guilty as my mood changes everyday as well.

When Tags anounced that we selected Whitner, I spilt my beer in disgust. But after thinking about it after the draft, I wasn't too pissed. See, it's great!