PDA

View Full Version : Defense Leadership

ghz in pittsburgh
04-11-2007, 11:53 AM
One thing struck me is his talk about learning from vets like Troy, London, and Nate in his rookie year.

Think about it for a second. He just experienced a big transition from college to NFL. I can imagine that he could say a ton of things that were new to him. The most common one I've heard from the rookies was the speed of the game.

But to Whitner, it was the things he learned from the vets. You can look at it as the kind of person he is - a student of the game. But you can also look at it from the other direction: the importance of veterans who can give advices.

You need certain status and accomplishments for the rookies to look up to you. My question is whether the Bills still have such vets for the new batch of rookies coming in a matter of couple of weeks.

Or dare I say Whitner himself is now being entrusted to that role, barely in his second season?

I trusted Jauron and his staff's teaching ability. But I do attribute some of the success of Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Williams' rookie campaign to the positive influence of Troy, London, Nate, and Takeo (in that order). They led by their dedication, game knowledge, and athletic plays.

I hope Levy and Jauron don't over-estimate their ability of getting rookies to contribute from the get-go. But I suspect we may not see a repeat of so many rookies making so many positive impact on defense in 2007, especially from the beginning.

Bert102176
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
good post

Saratoga Slim
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
good post. I'm worried about leadership too, but I guess i hadn't made the connection between our good rookie production last season and the presence of vets like Vincent, Fletch and TKO. I'm not putting Clements in there, as I don't see him being the teacher and leader that the aforementioned three were (though I could be wrong).

Lets hope Crowell, Schobel, etc step into the void.

Bills4Life34
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
good post!!

Ed
04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Out of everything we've lost, I think London Fletcher's leadership is the biggest. He always seemed to be the most talked about and admired player out of the defensive guys. He was they guy responsible for making sure everyone else was in the right place and doing the right thing. I know everyone likes to criticize him for making so many tackles down field, but he's got big shoes to fill.

I do really really like Crowell though.

B-DON
04-11-2007, 07:46 PM
We have a QB now who is the clear leader of this team. What other position would you rather have your team leader being?

mikemac2001
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
We have a QB now who is the clear leader of this team. What other position would you rather have your team leader being?

Punter or Long Snapper

B-DON
04-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Punter or Long Snapper

Moorman might be a leader also with all the youth on this roster and him being our only pro bowl threat year in and year out. Pretty sad though

SquishDaFish
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Good Posting

patmoran2006
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Out of everything we've lost, I think London Fletcher's leadership is the biggest. He always seemed to be the most talked about and admired player out of the defensive guys. He was they guy responsible for making sure everyone else was in the right place and doing the right thing. I know everyone likes to criticize him for making so many tackles down field, but he's got big shoes to fill.

I do really really like Crowell though.
Absolutely.

I do like Whitner too. I'm hoping he really becomes an impact game-changing safety and doesnt just become another adequate starter.

jamze132
04-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Let's not forget the positive leasership Kelly Freakin' Holcomb provided while holding the clipboard.