The "Official Playoff" Isles @ Sabres gameday thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

The "Official Playoff" Isles @ Sabres gameday thread!

Go Sabres!

Game Day Preview
    Matchup
    W-L-OTLHOMEROADDIVCONF
    NYI40-30-1222-13-618-17-617-11-436-27-9
    BUF53-22-728-10-325-12-418-11-347-19-6
    · Complete Standings

Isles' Nolan back in Buffalo to face former team
    AP Photos: NYDD101-104
    By JOHN WAWROW
    AP Sports Writer
    BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Ted Nolan waited nine years to land another NHL head-coaching job, then led the New York Islanders to the playoffs in his first season back in the league.
    And look where it got him.
    Nolan is in Buffalo of all places, preparing to face the top-seeded Sabres, the team that fired him right after he took coach of the year honors in 1997.
    "It's funny how life works sometimes," Nolan said Wednesday, a day before the opener of the best-of-seven, first-round Eastern Conference series.
    Not that Nolan's spending a lot of time laughing or catching up with old acquaintances.
    "I'm trying to come up with a game plan to beat this high-powered offense," he said. "We're going to have our hands full."
    The Islanders (40-30-12) are the prohibitive underdogs after sneaking into the postseason by winning their final four games to clinch the East's eighth and final berth. And they'll play at least Game 1 without top goalie Rick DiPietro, who hasn't been cleared to play after sustaining two concussions last month.
    Minor league backup Wade Dubielewicz, who closed the season with four wins, will start instead.
    The Sabres (53-22-7) have been on a season-long roll in finishing with the NHL's best record. They closed by going 9-3-1, led the league with 308 goals, and are the healthiest they've been all season after forwards Maxim Afinogenov and Tim Connolly returned last week from injuries.
    The Sabres roster is so deep that their so-called third line combined for 87 goals: Thomas Vanek with a team-leading 43, followed by Afinogenov (23) and Derek Roy (21).
    "Our strength is our secondary scoring, which I really believe can be found on all lines," said coach Lindy Ruff, who replaced Nolan on the Buffalo bench. "I think sometimes opponents have to pick their poison."
    Goaltender Ryan Miller added there's no secret to what will allow the Sabres to carry over their success into the postseason.
    "If we play good hockey and play together and play with energy, we're nearly impossible to beat," said Miller, who won a franchise-record 40 games.
    The Sabres won three of four meetings against New York, including a 6-4 victory on March 30. They also have the same core of players that got within one win of last year's Stanley Cup finals before losing to champion Carolina.
    The Sabres, however, raise numerous reminders of why they're not looking past the Islanders.
    There's last year's playoffs, when top-seeded Detroit was upset in the first round by Edmonton. And no team since Detroit, in 2002, has won the Cup after finishing first in the regular season.
    "We want to make sure the confidence is there, but we want to make sure it's not overconfidence," Sabres co-captain Daniel Briere said. "We worked hard to get the No. 1 seed, and we want to use it to our advantage. We don't want to blow it in the first game."
    The Islanders are in the playoffs for the first time since 2004, but haven't advanced past the first round since reaching the conference finals in 1993.
    New York has been led by Jason Blake, who scored 40 goals and added 29 assists, and the team bolstered its lineup by acquiring offensive forward Ryan Smyth in a deal with Edmonton at the trade deadline in February.
    They've been streaky at best this season. New York's four-game win streak to end the season matched its longest, but was preceded by an 0-3-1 skid.
    The series features numerous subplots, the most intriguing being Nolan's return after his tumultuous departure in the summer of 1997. Nolan left the team after two seasons, unhappy when the Sabres offered him only a one-year contract.
    "Let bygones be bygones," said Nolan, who didn't coach again until guiding Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League last season. "Buffalo will always have a special place in my heart. But now we have to try to beat their hockey team."
    Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, who offered Nolan the one-year deal, is fine, too.
    "It's 10 years ago. He certainly deserves to be coaching in the National Hockey League," Regier said. "And he's done an outstanding job with that team."

thx to: ESPN
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: The "Official Playoff" Isles @ Sabres gameday thread!

YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SkateZilla
      • Dec 2002

The Official If we dont come out all out skooby, no amount of cheering will bring you back from where i send you reply
      Skate Zilla
      -----------------------
      Skate Zilla HD Studios:
      SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SkateZilla
        The Official If we dont come out all out skooby, no amount of cheering will bring you back from where i send you reply
        Lol. I think Satan is going to see a fury Satan himself couldn't give, HSBC is going to rock tonight.

Comment

• Bufftp
          Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I am pumped. It will be tough to focus at work today.
          Ted
          Last edited by Bufftp; 04-12-2007, 09:38 AM.
          Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
          "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
          Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
          - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
          to be led by permanent ideals -
          that is what keeps a man patient
          when the world ignores him,
          and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Bufftp
            I am umped. It will be tough to focus at work today.
            Ted

You make barfers?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• SkateZilla
                • Dec 2002

Least the 1t Round we aren't facing a Canadian team, so we dont have to deal witht he officials giving the other team gifts..
                Skate Zilla
                -----------------------
                Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• blackonyx89
                  HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                  • Mar 2005

The series will go 5. Buffalo 4,the Islanders 1.

Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SkateZilla
                    Least the 1t Round we aren't facing a Canadian team, so we dont have to deal witht he officials giving the other team gifts..
                    Dallas seemed to get their share of calls against Vancouver last night.

I think tonight is as good a night to be sure I'm back posting here again....although I'll be hoping to cheer my ass off in the living room tonight.

Comment

• Valerie
                      Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
                      • Jul 2002

Kick some Islander ass!

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
                      Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
                      The only answer I found for all this hurt
                      Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Sypher
                        • Sep 2003

Only hours left before the Blood Bath!!!

Comment

• RockStar36
                          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                          • Sep 2004

I can't wait!

This day is literally going by so slow. I keep looking at the clock and I'm ready to get crazy.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

:oldskool: :oldskool: :oldskool:

I love that smilie!!!

Comment

• mikemac2001
                              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                              • Mar 2003

What station is it on...MSG??

MUCK
                              FIAMI

Comment

Working...
                              X