PDA

View Full Version : Jon Beason

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Is Jon Beason in the same league as Patrick Willis and Posluszny?

I have not heard a lot of talk abouot Beason but Mike Mayock has rated him the best LB in this draft, over Patrick Willis even.

How is Beason compared to Willis and Poz? Would you be happy/surprised if we take him in the first?

Discuss.

patmoran2006
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Personally, I like him a lot more than Pos, but not as much as Willis

bigbub2352
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Are we ready to take anothe Maimi player lol, that bein said he has all the tools to be an outstanding player, he ran a 4.6 40, and has size and makes plays i would not be oppossed of taking him if we traded down to get more picks

patmoran2006
04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I've heard a lot of reports that he may be a MLB in the NFL.

Thats what I love about Crowell; he can play either spot.. I'd prefer him right where he was last year; even if Jauron suggested he may be moved to the middle.

DraftBoy
04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I've heard a lot of reports that he may be a MLB in the NFL.

Thats what I love about Crowell; he can play either spot.. I'd prefer him right where he was last year; even if Jauron suggested he may be moved to the middle.

Why would he play in the middle he's consistently been an OLB at U of M and played there in HS. I have heard he would move inside if drafted to a 3-4 D team.

I consider Beason in near the same league as Willis. Willis has better intangibles (size, speed) but when it comes to play diagnosis, and hitting, they are on level playing field.

patmoran2006
04-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Why would he play in the middle he's consistently been an OLB at U of M and played there in HS. I have heard he would move inside if drafted to a 3-4 D team.

I consider Beason in near the same league as Willis. Willis has better intangibles (size, speed) but when it comes to play diagnosis, and hitting, they are on level playing field.
I'll be a lot happier with Beason that Pos..

Your right.. thats what I meant.. ILB, not MLB.. there is a difference.. My bad

Saratoga Slim
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM

How's the character issue? I've read that he's been a defensive leader for Miami, but haven't seen much else about the guy off the field.

Mad Bomber
04-12-2007, 09:27 AM
From Scott Wright's Draft Countdown:

Strengths:
Terrific athlete...Short but not necessarily small...Very good speed and quickness with a burst...Outstanding instincts and awareness...Is strong, physical and plays much bigger than he is...Solid tackler and a violent hitter...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Solid in coverage...Always seems to be around the action...Versatile with experience at all three (SAM, MIKE, WILL) linebacker positions...Has a motor that never stops...Fantastic leader with excellent intangibles...A great special teamer.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and does not have the ideal height that you look for...Frame might be maxed out...Overly aggressive at times and as a result he will miss a few tackles and get fooled...Doesn't have real fluid hips...Not a great blitzer...Gets engulfed by massive blockers...Battled some injuries and durability is a legitimate concern.

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Strengths:
Terrific athlete...Short but not necessarily small...Very good speed and quickness with a burst...Outstanding instincts and awareness...Is strong, physical and plays much bigger than he is...Solid tackler and a violent hitter...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Solid in coverage...Always seems to be around the action...Versatile with experience at all three (SAM, MIKE, WILL) linebacker positions...Has a motor that never stops...Fantastic leader with excellent intangibles...A great special teamer.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and does not have the ideal height that you look for...Frame might be maxed out...Overly aggressive at times and as a result he will miss a few tackles and get fooled...Doesn't have real fluid hips...Not a great blitzer...Gets engulfed by massive blockers...Battled some injuries and durability is a legitimate concern.
Sounds like a younger, less experienced Fletcher.

DraftBoy
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
How's the character issue? I've read that he's been a defensive leader for Miami, but haven't seen much else about the guy off the field.

This should tell you enough;

During the Miami-FIU brawl he was one of the only players pulling Miami guys away from FIU and trying to break it up. He is a very good character player.

DraftBoy
04-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a younger, less experienced Fletcher.

Slightly bigger, and faster but similar...he also plays outside to Fletcher's inside

jamesiscool
04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
if willis is off the board and we can move down a few spots he sounds like he would be a great fit for this defense.

Night Train
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I like Beason and Timmons of Florida St. a lot.

I'm not going to get into the whole value thing. You can't control who is picked ahead of you.

Bmax
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
i would n't be surprised at all....as a matter of fact i predict the bills will select him in rd 1 .. of course that could change if trades are made....

Bmax

BILLSROCK1212
04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
he has decent size and i would definetly not have a problem drafting him....i would love for him to slip to the 2nd round that would be sickkkkk!!!!

evol4276
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
How's the character issue? I've read that he's been a defensive leader for Miami, but haven't seen much else about the guy off the field. i saw on the draft show on nfl network that character is not an issue, and that during the brawl with miami he was one of the few not out on the field fighting

feelthepain
04-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Posluszny and Beason are OLB, Willis is an ILB. Two different positions. Hard to compare them. IMO Pos is too small as far as his frame to take the pounding at ILB. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Beason turned out to be the best of the bunch, and not because Beason is from the U, Beason IMO is just the smartest and fastest of the bunch.

jamze132
04-13-2007, 04:20 AM

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Minus the durability issues, he sounds like a London Fletcher clone.

evol4276
04-13-2007, 05:59 AM
i wuldnt mind him at all

The King
04-13-2007, 07:19 AM
This should tell you enough;

During the Miami-FIU brawl he was one of the only players pulling Miami guys away from FIU and trying to break it up. He is a very good character player.

I had heard that about him. Definitely promising. My concern is his size though, its interesting seeing him wear that #2. The same number as the last 1st rounder we took out of the U.

Ickybaluky
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
I have not heard of too many character knocks on Beason. Perhaps he is lumped in there as a character risk just because he went to Miami.

The flags I've heard on Beason are injury concerns and concerns about how good he will be in coverage. I'm not sure if I buy the coverage concerns, but if teams don't consider him a 3-down LB then he will drop in the draft.

Because he plays with great intensity and isn't the biggest guy in the world he takes a lot punishment and seems to always have nagging-type injuries. However, the only real serious injuries he had were a separated shoulder as a freshman in 2003 and a slight MCL tear last year.

There is also talk that he isn't big enough for the NFL. He isn't real tall (6 feet even) and he isn't going to get a lot bigger than 230-235 lbs.