PDA

View Full Version : Spikes departs with no regrets

Don't Panic
04-14-2007, 06:47 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/213/story/53692.html

Remember this?

It was the final game of the 2002 season and the Buffalo Bills were on their way to an easy 27-9 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. But the fans in Ralph Wilson Stadium seemed to care very little about that. Their focus was on a guy playing for the opposition.
Linebacker Takeo Spikes was playing out his contract with the Bengals, and Bills fans made it clear they wanted to see him in a Buffalo uniform.
“As I sit back and think about it, I had a lot of good times in Buffalo and a lot of great moments,” Spikes said recently. “But the No. 1 moment that I had, even before I had thought about being a Bill, was the time I walked in that stadium when I played for Cincinnati. I’ll always hold that close to me. It was a special moment.”

Although I'm OK with letting him go, I wish something could have eben worked out for at least one more year. He would have eben a great player to transition the new era. So be it...

gr8slayer
04-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Yeah, it sucks to lose him and Fletch but that's the business side of it.

shelby
04-14-2007, 07:16 AM
:( i remember how psyched we all were when TKO signed with us. He'll be missed.

Fletch was one of my favorites and i was very sad to see him go too.:(

ublinkwescore
04-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I blame Tom Donahoe for the 03 season - that team could have been special with that D and with anyone but Killdrive running the O.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Now that's the way I like to end it with the players. Takeo is a class act and will definitely be missed. I'll wear my TKO pro bowl jersey occasionally just to remember the good days. :(

Saratoga Slim
04-14-2007, 09:51 AM
"“From the day I came in for that first meeting with the Bills to the first game against New England in 2003 all the way to that last game in Baltimore last year, I enjoyed every minute of my time in Buffalo, the good, the bad and the ugly,” Spikes said by phone from his home in Atlanta. “I appreciate all of the support I’ve received from all the fans in Western New York. Because of them, a piece of me will always be up there.”

I'll miss that guy. He just gave Willis a little primer on how to leave with class. Still not sure we made the right decision, but I suppose the front office knows more than I do about his physical condition.

patmoran2006
04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Actually: it's a complete 180 from what he told Philly reporters upon his arrival.

When asked about whether his family would move down to Philly he said and I quote.. "We can't get out of Buffalo fast enough"
=======================================================
Having said that, he probably was experiencing a lot of immediate emotions. I not only miss him, I think trading him this year was a mistake. If he is almost 100% from his injury, his play is going to be very much missed this season.

HHURRICANE
04-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Fletcher leaves a hole, McGahee leaves a hole and Nate potentially leaves us with a drop off at CB.

I'll miss him the least because he had little impact the last 2 years so it's hard to miss anything he did in 2005 and 2006.

I have no issues with Spikes. However, trading him was a good move. He's not the same player that he was and never will be.

ublinkwescore
04-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Fletcher leaves a hole, McGahee leaves a hole and Nate potentially leaves us with a drop off at CB.

I'll miss him the least because he had little impact the last 2 years so it's hard to miss anything he did in 2005 and 2006.

I have no issues with Spikes. However, trading him was a good move. He's not the same player that he was and never will be.

I don't think he'll ever be the same, but I don't think anyone can say for certain that he won't have a couple more probowl type seasons before he hangs 'em up - I hope he does, and I hope Philly makes the playoffs just for him - otherwise, I can care less about the Eagles - they're fans are rumored to be just as bad as Steelers fans - I wouldn't know personally, but I've heard that the Eagles' colliseum has a courtroom and jail cells in a basement under the stadium - that's pretty convincing.

ublinkwescore
04-14-2007, 10:18 AM

And to tell you the truth, I won't really miss any of them - Clements we couldn't afford and the money he got could have very possibly got us 2 probowl quality free agent veterans at other positions of course (CBs are too damn expensive in my book).

Fletcher won't be too hard to upgrade - though his replacement (if it's Willis or any other rookie) may take a few games to get his bearings. Yeah he makes a lot of tackles, but they're mostly garbage tackles, and he was easily neutralized by Olinemen.

McGahee - I don't think I really even need to say anything about that :assclown:

and Spikes, I will miss from a character/leadership for the team standpoint, but if he didn't want to be here, and his return to health isn't a certainty it's time to move on - if he returns to 80-90% of his old self, we can kick ourselves in the @$$ for that one, still, hindsight is always 20-20.

Besides that, if all the DTs who gained weight, gained the right kind of weight, and got a good share of cardio while gaining it, this D can very possibly outperform last season's version.

JPFBillsFan
04-14-2007, 10:47 AM
I remember that game when Cincy came into town. The fans, we were all about cheering Spikes on and encouraging him to come and play with us. He was a great player before his injury. I hate to see him go, but change isn't always bad.

Pride
04-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Why would he be mad? We paid him 3 years worth of money for 1.5 years worth of work!

billsburgh
04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna miss TKO. Part of me is hoping that he gets back to his pre-injury form and then part of me is hoping that he doesnt because it will prove what a mistake it was in getting rid of him.

feelthepain
04-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Ofcourse not, cause your crystal ball told you so.:rolleyes:

casdhf
04-15-2007, 09:40 AM
like yours and C-Pep, right?

feelthepain
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
like yours and C-Pep, right?

Show me where I make the same statement about Culpepper.

casdhf
04-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Show me where you didn't say it.

feelthepain
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Show me where you didn't say it.

Everytime I use the word, IF! And obviously I don't say the same about Culpepper or you'd prove it by quoting me.

Bulldog
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Everytime I use the word, IF! And obviously I don't say the same about Culpepper or you'd prove it by quoting me.

The funny thing is that Culpepper blew chunks before he injured the knee. But rest assured, he going to revert to Pro Bowl form behind a terrible o-line in Miami. Hell, Minnesota had so much confidence in him, that they opted to trade him and start Brad freakin Johnson. Good call FTP!

feelthepain
04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
The funny thing is that Culpepper blew chunks before he injured the knee. But rest assured, he going to revert to Pro Bowl form behind a terrible o-line in Miami. Hell, Minnesota had so much confidence in him, that they opted to trade him and start Brad freakin Johnson. Good call FTP!

Yeah, Daunte's three probowls and near MVP season don't count for anything cause that isn't what Bill fans want to remember, all they want to remember is 05. Even though his 7 games in 05 Daunte was still the best player on the Vikings team, he did the most with little to no help from his near last place running attack and Defense....but lets just ignore the big picture cause then Daunte desn't really look like the problem in Minn and us Bill fans don't want to think about the reality of the situation, we just want to trash everyone elses players cause our own players blow chunks and we're in denial! Good call Bulldog!

Bulldog
04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, Daunte's three probowls and near MVP season don't count for anything cause that isn't what Bill fans want to remember, all they want to remember is 05. Even though his 7 games in 05 Daunte was still the best player on the Vikings team, he did the most with little to no help from his near last place running attack and Defense....but lets just ignore the big picture cause then Daunte desn't really look like the problem in Minn and us Bill fans don't want to think about the reality of the situation, we just want to trash everyone elses players cause our own players blow chunks and we're in denial! Good call Bulldog!

You're right, those seasons of the past don't currently mean anything. Stop living in the past. Culpepper sucks now and has sucked for the last few years. And what are you talking about Culpepper being the best player on his team in 05. He had 6 TD's to go with 12 INT's before the injury in 05. Talk abot denial. If Culpepper is as good as you seem to think he is, then why is Miami currently looking to Bring in T. Green? I know this much, T. Green isn't being brought in to hold a clipboard. Read between the lines FTP, your boy Culpepper is cooked.

feelthepain
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
You're right, those seasons of the past don't currently mean anything. Stop living in the past. Culpepper sucks now and has sucked for the last few years. And what are you talking about Culpepper being the best player on his team in 05. He had 6 TD's to go with 12 INT's before the injury in 05. Talk abot denial. If Culpepper is as good as you seem to think he is, then why is Miami currently looking to Bring in T. Green? I know this much, T. Green isn't being brought in to hold a clipboard. Read between the lines FTP, your boy Culpepper is cooked.

Stop living in the past?? You Bill fans seem to use the past to form your opinions of any Dolphin player then tell us to stop living in the past when we bring up positives. Seems like Bill fans can say whatever they like then make rules for everyone else. Get over your uneducated opinion of your rival teams, Daunte is still a Dolphin and his knee is closer to being healthy then it was this time last year. Your girl JP is worthless and has never ever done a damn thing in the NFL. So spear the world your ridiculous bias.

Billsrock4life
04-15-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/213/story/53692.html

Remember this?

Although I'm OK with letting him go, I wish something could have eben worked out for at least one more year. He would have eben a great player to transition the new era. So be it...

same im gonna miss him and fletch the most

Bulldog
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Stop living in the past?? You Bill fans seem to use the past to form your opinions of any Dolphin player then tell us to stop living in the past when we bring up positives. Seems like Bill fans can say whatever they like then make rules for everyone else. Get over your uneducated opinion of your rival teams, Daunte is still a Dolphin and his knee is closer to being healthy then it was this time last year. Your girl JP is worthless and has never ever done a damn thing in the NFL. So spear the world your ridiculous bias.

Speaking of uneducated, how exactly does one go about spearing the world?

blackonyx89
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Vaya con Dios (Go with GOD) TKO! Do well down there in Philly,just don't come up and have a field day on JP.

:respect: