PDA

View Full Version : Will the "invisible man" show up in the playoffs?

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Yes, I do mean Briere, but his linemates have also been no shows for the first 2 games of the series. To win, this team needs their stars to play hard and play like their a$$es are on fire and that is not happening. Pretty disappointing effort.

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
They got us the second goal. They played no worse than the other lines tonight.

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:18 PM
They got us the second goal. They played no worse than the other lines tonight.

Briere has played awful so far. It probably will be a long series, so he has time to turn it around, but this team needs him if they intend on going far in the playoffs. Right now, he's playing below average.

Mitchy moo
04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Who did play well tonight?

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Who did play well tonight?

Good point, but he's been non-existent for 2 games. Nobody played well, but he does wear the "C" and should be leading by example...he's not doing that right now.

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:34 PM
He was NOT nonexistant tonight. His unit SCORED A GOAL, which is more than half the team can say. Briere also won 61% of faceoffs tonight. All the Sabres deserve blame tonight, but there's no reason to single out Briere.

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
He was NOT nonexistant tonight. His unit SCORED A GOAL, which is more than half the team can say. Briere also won 61% of faceoffs tonight. All the Sabres deserve blame tonight, but there's no reason to single out Briere.

I know you're a big fan of Briere, I am too, but I know when a player is playing bad and he is. If he was playing great, then I would give him credit also, but I'm calling a spade a spade. Sorry.

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
You're offering opinions, I'm offering facts.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:40 PM
All of the forwards other than Zubrus were awful tonight! :ill:

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
You're offering opinions, I'm offering facts.

Listen, just because you don't agree...doesn't mean your OPINION is a fact. Have you ever played hockey? Just because he got a point, does not mean he played well...stats don't always tell the entire story...THAT IS A FACT!

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
All of the forwards other than Zubrus were awful tonight! :ill:

This I agree with.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:43 PM
This I agree with.
And I'm a huge Briere fan, but he needs a kick in the pants. He's been pretty bad the first 2 games. :ill:

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I didn't say he played well. I said the whole team deserves blame. Whatever anyone's opinion is, only results matter, and the results show, in the very least, that his unit accomplished more than two others. That's indisputable. I could call out other players tonight but won't because I'm not going to blame individuals on a night when they all deserve blame, which is also indisputable.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I didn't say he played well. I said the whole team deserves blame. Whatever anyone's opinion is, only results matter, and the results show, in the very least, that his unit accomplished more than two others. That's indisputable. I could call out other players tonight but won't because I'm not going to blame individuals on a night when they all deserve blame, which is also indisputable.
Max sucked too. :ill:

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh and Kotalik was absolutely horrible. That's why he was bumped out of that line. :ill:

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Again, nobody is disagreeing with that. However, here is a fact, he is one of the captains of this team and captains lead by example. Well, I hope his teammates aren't following his because we might be in trouble if they do. I'm a big Briere fan, but I know hockey and I can tell when a guy isn't playing well and because he's such a good player, it stands out more when he doesn't play well.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Again, nobody is disagreeing with that. However, here is a fact, he is one of the captains of this team and captains lead by example. Well, I hope his teammates aren't following his because we might be in trouble if they do. I'm a big Briere fan, but I know hockey and I can tell when a guy isn't playing well and because he's such a good player, it stands out more when he doesn't play well.
Then again...what did Drury do in this game? :scratch:

:ill:

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Then again...what did Drury do in this game? :scratch:

:ill:

Yep, it was pretty much a clean sweep when it comes to effort out there tonight. However, Drury did show up in the first game, Briere has yet to show up.

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:50 PM

What did the other captain do tonight?

Philagape
04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
NM, Mikey beat me to it

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Read my post above. However, Drury did show up in the 1st game...Danny didn't.

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
NM, Mikey beat me to it

Sorry, responded before you posted this.

Michael82
04-14-2007, 09:54 PM
:hi5:

The whole team didn't bother to show up, except for maybe some defensemen. It was pretty pathetic and Lindy needs to kick some ass tomorrow.

Nighthawk
04-14-2007, 09:56 PM
:hi5:

The whole team didn't bother to show up, except for maybe some defensemen. It was pretty pathetic and Lindy needs to kick some ass tomorrow.

You would hope he lays down the leather to their asses tomorrow. The effort tonight was inexcusable.

don137
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree that the team showed no heart tonight. When the chips are down you need to have the big guns step up such as Briere and Pominville. They have do step it up. It's not just the top guys. Roy has looked bad. Drury played great in game one so I won't rip on him for his disappearing act in game 2. Mair is a waste of space out there and I just hope they are still playing in another month so Goose can replace him.
The Islanders are playing playoff hockey and the Sabres are just playing hockey right now.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
I thought the worst player on the ice was Derek Roy.

Michael82
04-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh, btw in defense of Briere....he did get an assist on the tying goal in the 3rd. :D

Michael82
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
The invisible man showed up today. You definitely gotta give Briere some credit for his game tonight. :up:

pyrrhonist
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
The invisible man showed up today. You definitely gotta give Briere some credit for his game tonight. :up:

At long last!! I was going to photoshop a "Missing" sign with Danny's picture on it if he didn't step it up tonight. :dance:

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 09:33 PM
He did show up tonight and I'm glad. And as a bonus, Vanek got a goal. It's about time the forwards started scoring more! :gosabres:

Michael82
04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh and Kotalik looked much more comfortable in that 4th line with Connolly and Mair than he did before.

kgun12
04-16-2007, 09:38 PM

I'll give him credit for showing up in the 3rd period. If you have it typed of can watch the replay tommorow, other than the 5 on 3, watch him in the first two periods tonight, he was horrible!!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah the invisible man who led the team in scoring this year and in the playoffs last year.. What a bad thread this is.

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 10:00 PM
No way Thurm. The 5 million dollar man was practically invisible for the first 2 games. I find that completely inexcusable considering people are fighting that he should be re-signed and let Drury walk.

Nighthawk
04-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah the invisible man who led the team in scoring this year and in the playoffs last year.. What a bad thread this is.

No, this thread is completely relevant to his play up to this game. Don't be ridiculous. He played better tonight and he created more chances for himself.

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:05 PM
It was two ****ing games man.. Talk about overeacting.... :puke:

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Two games and one was a loss. He is the highest paid Sabre. He needs to play like it. This is exactly the reason why Drury should be top priority in the off-season.

Nighthawk
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM

Ok, where were you to stick up for him before this game? It's easy to stick up for a guy after he finally does something in the series.

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Two games and one was a loss. He is the highest paid Sabre. He needs to play like it. This is exactly the reason why Drury should be top priority in the off-season.
Again you are overreacting... He scored tonight, lets get at least a series in before our best offensive player is given the name "invisible man" that is ridiculous to me. To be Devils advocate Drury did nothing tonight. Maybe he is the new Invisible man???? :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Ok, where were you to stick up for him before this game? It's easy to stick up for a guy after he finally does something in the series.
I thought this thread may have been started about Max and didn't even look at it. I would have the same view on this goal or not....

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Again you are overreacting... He scored tonight, lets get at least a series in before our best offensive player is given the name "invisible man" that is ridiculous to me. To be Devils advocate Drury did nothing tonight. Maybe he is the new Invisible man???? :ill:

Didn't he have a sweet ass pass to Mair to score the first goal?

Nighthawk
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought this thread may have been started about Max and didn't even look at it. I would have the same view on this goal or not....

Yes, the goal is nice, but there is more to it than that. The guy flat out was not skating and willing to take a hit in the first 2 games. He almost played like he was scared and that is not good. Tonight he was better and I hope that means we see more from him in the upcoming games because this team needs him if they intend on winning the cup.

Philagape
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Briere's done more than Drury the last two games. I'm not bashing Drury, but one can't make a decision based on this series.

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
This thread sounds like the idiots who call WGR's whiner line... :ill:

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Briere's done more than Drury the last two games. I'm not bashing Drury, but one can't make a decision based on this series.

I disagree, but whatever, Sabres won and that is all that matters. Team is the most important thing right now.

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Didn't he have a sweet ass pass to Mair to score the first goal?
Yeah didn't Briere assist on goal 2 Saturday?

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I disagree, but whatever, Sabres won and that is all that matters. Team is the most important thing right now.
I am happy they won but the overeacting that went on after 1 playoff loss is ridiculous to me. No need for it. Briere more than proved his playoff ability last year and to label him this after 2 games in round one is embarrassing if you ask me, but what do I know?

GThirst
04-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Briere's done more than Drury the last two games. I'm not bashing Drury, but one can't make a decision based on this series. Yea, its not time to judge Briere, but as for Briere doing more than Drury... WTF. No. Drury's perfect pass lead to an easy goal for Mair. Briere scored on a 5 on 3 and did nothing the rest of the game. Drury is killing penalties and being VERY good at it. Additionally, Drury was a +1 in tonights game. Briere was a -1. The Briere line is a liability in the defensive zone and always has been. Briere is bad at back checking. Drury is loyal to all sides of the ice and is a much more complete player- and more of a goal scorer.

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Yea, its not time to judge Briere, but as for Briere doing more than Drury... WTF. No. Drury's perfect pass lead to an easy goal for Mair. Briere scored on a 5 on 3 and did nothing the rest of the game. Drury is killing penalties and being VERY good at it. Additionally, Drury was a +1 in tonights game. Briere was a -1. The Briere line is a liability in the defensive zone and always has been. Briere is bad at back checking. Drury is loyal to all sides of the ice and is a much more complete player- and more of a goal scorer.
Why even compare them? They are both great players and our captains. It is ridiculous...

GThirst
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Why even compare them? They are both great players and our captains. It is ridiculous... Very true, but there contracts will be going head to head this summer and quite frankly is a pressing issue. Our team could look very different next year.

Philagape
04-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Drury's better defensively, Briere's better offensively. Take your pick. Briere had five shots to Drury's one. Hecht and Pominville had 12 combined.

RockStar36
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I am happy they won but the overeacting that went on after 1 playoff loss is ridiculous to me. No need for it. Briere more than proved his playoff ability last year and to label him this after 2 games in round one is embarrassing if you ask me, but what do I know?

I'm a little drunk right now so I might have to go look at my posts, but I didn't label him the invisible man. I simply agreed with most people that he didn't show up for the first two games. That frustrates me. Mostly because I'm a huge Drury fan and I have to constantly fight with other Sabre fans about who should be top priority in the off-season. That's why I got into this argument. He scored a goal tonight. I'm super happy about it. I'm even happier that the Sabres won. All is good sir. :hi5:

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Very true, but there contracts will be going head to head this summer and quite frankly is a pressing issue. Our team could look very different next year.
Yes who is not aware of this fact? Why worry about it right now?

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm a little drunk right now so I might have to go look at my posts, but I didn't label him the invisible man. I simply agreed with most people that he didn't show up for the first two games. That frustrates me. Mostly because I'm a huge Drury fan and I have to constantly fight with other Sabre fans about who should be top priority in the off-season. That's why I got into this argument. He scored a goal tonight. I'm super happy about it. I'm even happier that the Sabres won. All is good sir. :hi5:
No worries my friend! :hi5: Go sabres!

Philagape
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh and Briere was named first star tonight :dance:

Michael82
04-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh and Briere was named first star tonight :dance:
Well deserved. Although I was disappointed that Zubrus didn't get a star, he was one of the best players out there tonight.

SpillerThrills
04-17-2007, 01:40 AM
we have 1 player that you guys are "calling out".... thank god we're not NJ, they've got like 4 guys who aren't doing anything!

Buffalogic
04-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Man I love that Zubrus trade!

kgun12
04-17-2007, 05:52 AM

In the pre game last night Ray asked him about the loss in game 2, he said that maybe they took NY a little to light. This is something that should never come out of the captain's mouth, let alone the highest paid player!

The first goal was clearly his fault he just wasn't skating. And to add what Nighthawk said he has looked scared at time in this series.

SabreEleven
04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
In the pre game last night Ray asked him about the loss in game 2, he said that maybe they took NY a little to light. This is something that should never come out of the captain's mouth, let alone the highest paid player!

But if it the truth, maybe it should be said. I have no problem with him saying that.

Mitchy moo
04-17-2007, 07:17 AM
But if it the truth, maybe it should be said. I have no problem with him saying that.

He said maybe, I think they realize now nothing is granted. A valuable lesson indeed.:candle:

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2007, 07:41 AM

The first goal was clearly his fault he just wasn't skating. And to add what Nighthawk said he has looked scared at time in this series.
I just hate the way this thread comes about though. Sure he had a bad freaking game even the best player in the league has them now and again.

Earthquake Enyart
04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I just hate the way this thread comes about though. Sure he had a bad freaking game even the best player in the league has them now and again.
I concur.

They sound like a bunch of bedwetters.

kgun12
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM

I agree that every player is going to have a bad game, and I really like Danny as do many of us. This is way I think people are reacting to his playthe way there are. For me it started right after the Durry him. He seems to be a little tentitive (I think scared might be a little harsh) with the puck in the offensive zone, and a little slow to react like last night in the defensive zone. If you can watch the reply of the game, I strongly suggest you watch the game, pay close attention to the first 2 periods, he really played bad, when he had the puck near the boards. I would like to believe that maybe the leg injury is worse than there letting on, but like I said I have noticed this since the Durry hit!

Nighthawk
04-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I concur.

They sound like a bunch of bedwetters.

I love how you guys have the balls now to come out and talk smack, but you were nowhere to be found after the first 2 games. That leaves your opinions a little empty.:down:

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2007, 11:30 PM
I love how you guys have the balls now to come out and talk smack, but you were nowhere to be found after the first 2 games. That leaves your opinions a little empty.:down:
Whatever dude. I love how dopes love Briere all year and act like whiny *****es after he doesn't score 4 goals a game. Any sane person would give hime a round or two. Who cares anyways we are up 3 to 1.

RockStar36
04-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Score another 2 goals for my boy! :jig: