PDA

View Full Version : Draft Scenario I

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Every Day Ill post a new scenario with different parameters you must follow. These will be untraditional situations that many us either havent thought of, or dont want to think about. Your job is to post what you would do with the remainder of the draft and tell us why. Ill post mine after I see some of the others post their ideas.

SCENARIO:
We are picking 12th and we are on the clock
1.OAK-Russell
2. DET-Thomas
3. CLE-Peterson
4. TB-Johnson
5. ARI-Landry
6. WSH-Branch
7. MIN-Adams
8. ATL-Brown
9. MIA-Anderson
10. HOU-Lynch
11. SF-Willis
12. BUF-ON THE CLOCK

PARAMETERS:
Patrick Willis is gone
Marshawn Lynch is gone
You cannot trade down

OBJECTIVE:
Who do you take at 12, and in what direction do you go in Rounds 2-7? I want names, reasons, and what else we need to fill.

Ed
04-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know enough to make specific picks for each round, but I would take Okoye at #12. I know DT is no longer a need, but I think he represents the best value by far with this scenario. He could be a perfect DT for our scheme and I think he's going to be a special player. While we have a lot of bodies and potential at DT, it's still a big question mark. Plus, with our scheme I don't think we can have too much depth at DT. It's a pretty critical position.

For our second pick, I would try and trade back into the 1st to grab Beason. If we have to stay at our pick, I'd use it on best available OLB, Siler or whoever that might be.

If we do pull off a trade and only have one 3rd rounder, I'd use it on RB, preferably Irons if he's there. If we don't make any trades, I'd use our second 3rd on a WR like Jacoby Jones.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2007, 01:12 PM
No question I would take Okoyer here. He is a 19 year old genius. I have seen him in interviews and all he does is right. Add that to the fact that the kid can flat out play football. He has character written all over him. He would be that run stuffer that this team has needed since the departure of Pat Williams. I also believe he would need double teams to stop and that would obviously loosen the protections on other players.

Night Train
04-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Okoye. No doubt.

Earthquake Enyart
04-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Brady Quinn.

BILLSROCK1212
04-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Okoye no doubt and then Revis as a second option.

Devin
04-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Okoye.

Without trading down you no question take the BPA. Id have Hall a close second.

Drafting Okoye means we can dump Triplett next season.

YardRat
04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I would go with Carriker at defensive end, use the rest of Day one to try and get a RB, LB, and WR, then go into Day 2 and pick BPA regardless of position.

casdhf
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Beason

BILLSROCK1212
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I would go with Carriker at defensive end, use the rest of Day one to try and get a RB, LB, and WR, then go into Day 2 and pick BPA regardless of position.
you know what I like the Carriker option better because he can play DE and DT but Marv would choose Okoye and if Okoye is there on draft day I would think Marv would choose him over everybody else unless Jauron can convince him to take Willis because Okoye fits the Marv type of player mold perfectly

SABURZFAN
04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
SCENARIO:
1.OAK-Russell
2. DET-Thomas
3. CLE-Peterson
4. TB-Johnson
5. ARI-Landry
6. WSH-Branch
7. MIN-Adams
8. ATL-Brown
9. MIA-Anderson
10. HOU-Lynch
11. SF-Willis
12. BUF-ON THE CLOCK

this is a golden opportunity to dog lossman on this one with brady but i like the okoye pick better.

djjimkelly
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
u would have to draft quinn if only to keep him on the roster to trade him at a later date like next year

SABURZFAN
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
u would have to draft quinn if only to keep him on the roster to trade him at a later date like next year

good idea. :up:

i change my mind and take quinn.

so long lossman. :bigwave:

Mr. Pink
04-15-2007, 02:00 PM
With any scenario you post DraftBoy...I'm saying we draft Greg Olsen in Rd1. I'm sure none of your scenarios will have him gone before our pick.

He will provide a security blanket for JP and help his development immensely. Will open the play action pass in all areas of the field. And don't discount the force that LT is such a force in the redzone because teams have to account for Gates in the endzone.

It keeps an extra guy out of the box on rushing downs because they have to worry about a pass catching TE. While doing that, you're establishing a good ground game, which later on is gonna open the play pass for big gains, either by Evans, Price or Olsen himself.

It would do wonders for our offense, help our defense stay off the field longer. Thus they're fresher and we won't get gashed late in games. It's a win win for the entire team. Meanwhile a Beason or Poz isn't going to matter because our front 4 is still gonna get manhandled and Crowell is gonna be making tackles 5-7 yards off the LOS just like Fletch. We have too much money and picks invested at DT that makes Okoye not a viable option. A receiver won't help us out here as much Olsen either.

The only way I change my pick on this is if AP falls to us, then I draft him in a heartbeat. Reality speaking, it'll never happen.

SquishDaFish
04-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Okoye and then Best LB avail in rd 2 and a RB in rd 3 someone like Darius Walker.

tampabay25690
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I would go CB Leon Hall then or OKOYE...

Well we could use a guy like Hall to take over for NATE and the best cb in the draft. Or we could go Okoye who probably has the best upside being so young and has alot of room to grow....

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Okoye.

RockStar36
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Beason

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
With any scenario you post DraftBoy...I'm saying we draft Greg Olsen in Rd1. I'm sure none of your scenarios will have him gone before our pick.

He will provide a security blanket for JP and help his development immensely. Will open the play action pass in all areas of the field. And don't discount the force that LT is such a force in the redzone because teams have to account for Gates in the endzone.

It keeps an extra guy out of the box on rushing downs because they have to worry about a pass catching TE. While doing that, you're establishing a good ground game, which later on is gonna open the play pass for big gains, either by Evans, Price or Olsen himself.

It would do wonders for our offense, help our defense stay off the field longer. Thus they're fresher and we won't get gashed late in games. It's a win win for the entire team. Meanwhile a Beason or Poz isn't going to matter because our front 4 is still gonna get manhandled and Crowell is gonna be making tackles 5-7 yards off the LOS just like Fletch. We have too much money and picks invested at DT that makes Okoye not a viable option. A receiver won't help us out here as much Olsen either.

The only way I change my pick on this is if AP falls to us, then I draft him in a heartbeat. Reality speaking, it'll never happen.

You may want to see tommorow's scenario then :respect:

Yasgur's Farm
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
#1 DE Adam Carriker
#2 OLB Lawrence Timmons or OLB Paul Posluzsny
#3a FB Brian Leonard or WR Sidney Rice
#3b RB Kenny Irons

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
My pick:

Jon Beason

We need an OLB, its a need pick and he's not far from the BPA either. In the 2nd Id go MLB and take Siler to sure up our most concerning posistions.

In the 3rd Id go with WR Jacoby Jones, and then OC Ryan Kalil which gives us a #2 WR, and a backup C for Fowler.

In the 4th im taking CB Michael Coe from Alabama State who can come in and be our immediate nickle CB.

In the 6th Im taking DT Deljuan Robinson to help fill in our DT rotation. Robinson is the perfect Cover 2 penetrating DT.

In the 7th first I go with CB Courtney Brown to provide more CB depth and then Ill go with K Justin Medlock from UCLA. Medlock displays great K power and accuracy.

UDFA's:
QB Tyler Thigpen
RB Ramonce Taylor
FB Deon Anderson
WR Brandon London
TE Chad Upshaw
OT Kyle Tatum
OG Roman Fry
DE Jacob Ford
DT Mike DeVito
OLB Brian Smith
MLB Mark Zalewski
CB Montavis Pitts
S Chad Nkang

ShadowHawk7
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Not bad logic FTY.
One problem with trading up for Beason is that we will have to move up approximately. 21 spots to get him. It's gonna cost us a hell lot more to get Beason from our 2nd than it did McCargo last year, so I don't think that is a viable option. Either we take him at 12, mortgage our future to trade up for him, or just leave him be and move on.

That being said, depending on what the Bills think of Beason, I wouldn't mind him at 12 in this scenario. And since we can't trade down, I'd either go him or Okoye.
Okoye, then David Harris in the 2nd, followed by Pittman and Jacoby Jones or Andrae Allison in the 3rd would make for a excellent Day 1. Even Booker is becoming a more interesting prospect to me. He could make a good tandem w/ AT.

ShadowHawk7
04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't see Kahil lasting till the 3rd for us. I'd go Beason, but there aren't very many DTs I like outside of Okoye in this draft, and I'm really starting to like David Harris out of Mich.

venis2k1
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
brady quinn

BILLSROCK1212
04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
My pick:

Jon Beason

We need an OLB, its a need pick and he's not far from the BPA either. In the 2nd Id go MLB and take Siler to sure up our most concerning posistions.

In the 3rd Id go with WR Jacoby Jones, and then OC Ryan Kalil which gives us a #2 WR, and a backup C for Fowler.

In the 4th im taking CB Michael Coe from Alabama State who can come in and be our immediate nickle CB.

In the 6th Im taking DT Deljuan Robinson to help fill in our DT rotation. Robinson is the perfect Cover 2 penetrating DT.

In the 7th first I go with CB Courtney Brown to provide more CB depth and then Ill go with K Justin Medlock from UCLA. Medlock displays great K power and accuracy.

UDFA's:
QB Tyler Thigpen
RB Ramonce Taylor
FB Deon Anderson
WR Brandon London
TE Chad Upshaw
OT Kyle Tatum
OG Roman Fry
DE Jacob Ford
DT Mike DeVito
OLB Brian Smith
MLB Mark Zalewski
CB Montavis Pitts
S Chad Nkang
most of these guys rn't Marv guys and Medlock would be a waste of a draft pick unless we plan on getting rid of Lindell in the next 3 years and no way Ryan Kalil lasts till the 2nd and probablly at the latest will be picked in the first ten picks of the first round

bigbub2352
04-15-2007, 04:22 PM
This is a no brainer Marv would go for Poz from PSU, OLB

Elminster
04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Okoye or Poz. I'd go with Okoye, a very special talent that fits our system beautifully. Hall is also somewhat tempting, but I'm not very high on CBs in a T2. 2nd round we draft a linebacker(Siler, or Timmons) and then we pick up a big wide out and a running back in the third. We are, luckily, well enough along that not being able to address a need with #12(though that would be ideal) isn't going to screw us over, and I think there is sufficient depth at our biggest needs(LB, RB) that we can still do very well....

lordofgun
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
We would hopefully get a couple of good offers for Quinn.

mikemac2001
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
hard to pass on quinn u know u can trade him to someone else but if no trades id be pissed off right about now

bigbub2352
04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Poz to me is exactly what Marv is trying to do he loved Shane Conlan, and he plays alot like him, he had injuries but plays the game like a LBer should, he can cover and blitz, he just doesnt have the 40 time of Willis, i think he is better than Beason or Timmons, and i think he brings alot in stopping the run, we need then to go RB say Pittman in the second round, WR, and CB in the next 3s, and then maybe go for another LB in the 4th, in the 6th get your backup QB, and with the 2 sevens get your FB and maybe a FS

Bmax
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
i agree draftboy beason..

2. Pittman

3. Durnat

3.Hughes-cb cal

Bmax

ShadowHawk7
04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Draftboy, just a question, but do you mean to completely ignore our need at RB? BTW, you sure know your college football, listing all those potential UDFA names. I only know prospects to about the 4th-5th round level.

MarvLevy
04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
QUINN

gr8slayer
04-15-2007, 09:22 PM
this is a golden opportunity to dog lossman on this one with brady but i like the okoye pick better.
Are you feeling o.k?

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Draftboy, just a question, but do you mean to completely ignore our need at RB? BTW, you sure know your college football, listing all those potential UDFA names. I only know prospects to about the 4th-5th round level.

Completely intended, Ramonce Taylor could be a steal UDFA RB if he pans out. COuld actually one day be a starter, we have no intention to start anybody but Atrain next year, so I dont expect us to concentrate on RB this draft imo.

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
most of these guys rn't Marv guys and Medlock would be a waste of a draft pick unless we plan on getting rid of Lindell in the next 3 years and no way Ryan Kalil lasts till the 2nd and probablly at the latest will be picked in the first ten picks of the first round

How are these guys not Marv guys? They are all high character players and there is no way Kalil goes in the top 10 of the first round. I dont think Lindell will be around for the next three years and Medlock is likely the best kicker of the class.

gr8slayer
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Completely intended, Ramonce Taylor could be a steal UDFA RB if he pans out. COuld actually one day be a starter, we have no intention to start anybody but Atrain next year, so I dont expect us to concentrate on RB this draft imo.
I can't decide whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

gr8slayer
04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
That's what they said about Marcus McNeill last year.

Ed
04-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Considering the interest in Turner, Brown and Dillon, the Bills have to be looking to add another RB.

If we don't pick up another free agent, I don't see how we don't draft one.

SABURZFAN
04-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Are you feeling o.k?

i came to my senses.thank you for your concern.

MarvLevy
04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
i came to my senses.thank you for your concern.

LAY OFF THE CRACKPIPE

SABURZFAN
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
LAY OFF THE CRACKPIPE

:mad:

DraftBoy
04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Considering the interest in Turner, Brown and Dillon, the Bills have to be looking to add another RB.

If we don't pick up another free agent, I don't see how we don't draft one.

We havent made a move to trade or sign anyone yet...I think Atrain is the solid starter.

SABURZFAN
04-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I think Atrain is the solid starter.

i think he's a solid stopgap for a RB.we need somebody else for the future though.

X-Era
04-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Every Day Ill post a new scenario with different parameters you must follow. These will be untraditional situations that many us either havent thought of, or dont want to think about. Your job is to post what you would do with the remainder of the draft and tell us why. Ill post mine after I see some of the others post their ideas.

SCENARIO:
1.OAK-Russell
2. DET-Thomas
3. CLE-Peterson
4. TB-Johnson
5. ARI-Landry
6. WSH-Branch
7. MIN-Adams
8. ATL-Brown
9. MIA-Anderson
10. HOU-Lynch
11. SF-Willis
12. BUF-ON THE CLOCK

PARAMETERS:
Patrick Willis is gone
Marshawn Lynch is gone
You cannot trade down

OBJECTIVE:
Who do you take at 12, and in what direction do you go in Rounds 2-7? I want names, reasons, and what else we need to fill.

Ill play:

If I cant trade down, Hmmmm.

To me the remianing options are Hall, Meachem, Ginn Jr., Okoye

Id take Okoye hands down, my sleeper second move would be Meachem. I think hes tough enough to go over the middle and has deceptive deep speed.

1) Okoye- simply too good, with too much ability to pass up. Were not THAT settled on our DL.
2) Posluzny or Siler- Puz will drop IMO, maybe not out of the 1st. Either is likely a day one starter
3a) Pittman- Our new starting RB, more of a scat back type, Bush later makes sense as a combo
3b) DeOssie- Sleeper LB, he could start or push to start early
4) Michael Bush- I think he comes all the way back, he could end up stealing the starting job
6) Corey Anderson- FB, the guys a damn beast, he will open lanes. He may not drop this far though
7a) Fred Bennett- CB, I like his playmaking
7b) Matt Trannon- TE, another guy who may not fall this far, but his dropsys in the senior bowl may cost him. He could become a starting TE in a year or two.

alohabillsfan
04-16-2007, 07:17 AM
1) CB Chris Houston
2) WR Jason Hill
3a) LB Quincy Black
3b) RB M. Bush
4) LB Deossie
6) RB/FB Batlle
7a) ?
7b)?

Don't Panic
04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Can't trade down? That sucks... in that case, Okoye.

DraftBoy
04-16-2007, 09:08 AM
i think he's a solid stopgap for a RB.we need somebody else for the future though.

Agreed, I meant as a solid starter for this year.

gr8slayer
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Agreed, I meant as a solid starter for this year.
I don't know. I would still feel much better going into the season if we drafted an RB early.

Night Train
04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
...I think Atrain is the solid starter.

Just like AVP was our QB going in to 2002. Then came Draft weekend.

gr8slayer
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Just like AVP was our QB going in to 2002. Then came Draft weekend.
I must have missed that.

casdhf
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I think that was pre-2002

Night Train
04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I must have missed that.

We traded for Bledsoe.

mysticsoto
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
In the scenario case presented, I take the following:

1. Okoye - yes, we have many DTs on the roster right now, but with him, we dump Anderson and Jefferson. Okoye could be slowly brought in to the rotation. I don't think this is a bad idea - given him time to adapt to the NFL. If he becomes a Tommy Harris, it becomes worth it even if his contribution this year is less than a 1st rounder might garner. Next year he could take over for Tripplett if Tripplett doesn't begin showing more. Or he could take over for McCargo is McCargo does indeed become injury prone like some think he might based on the type of injury he has. In any case, Okoye is a specimen that is hard to just let go.

2. Pittman (RB) - I am, however, tempted to take Leonard (RB) and let him play this year with A-Train as a half back and then move him next year to FB when we grab a franchise RB next year. Leonard would provide a fan boost to the local area given that he is from NY.

3a. Quincy Black (OLB) - Good prospect and should provide good depth.

3b. Dameion Hughes (CB) - good for Cover 2 zone.

4. Isaiah Stanback (QB) - good prospect to develop as a 3rd string.

6. Legedu Naanee (WR) - raw prospect that could take over 5th receiver (Andre Davis) while he develops.

7a. Marcus Hamilton (CB) - another lower prospect that seems a fit for Cover 2 and good for depth.

7b. Nick Jones (OG/C) - Versatile backup that would probably end up in the PS for now but may develop and provide depth in another year or two.

patmoran2006
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
For the record: I do everything I can to move up two spots with Houston and take Willis.. In your scenario, they can surely get Lynch at 12.. It would cost us a second third (value wise) and we'd have our LB for years to come in Willis..

BUt as per your rules, you cannot trade?

In that case:
Okoye- No only because even without anderson and jefferson you'd still have 5 DTs, and someone would have to go. We have a lot of $ and draft choices invested in that position- and our FO would look foolish to have to cut one of them already, which would happen should we take Okoye.

Hall, Reevis, Houston- No, I stand by a corner not being necessary with our first pick in this defense.

I would strongly consider:
Olsen- Just because he would bring a different dimension to an offense badly in need of getting Evans more operating room.
Meacham/Bowe: See Olsen.
Beason: IMO, the second best LB on the board.

I would also consider just trading that pick for Turner; ONLY if the scenario stated played itself out, AND I was unable to move up for Willis or down a few spots for one of the guys I have listed under guys I'd consider.

justasportsfan
04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
PARAMETERS:
Patrick Willis is gone
Marshawn Lynch is gone
You cannot trade down

can I give it up for Turner +their 2nd this year or a 2nd next year?

Saratoga Slim
04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
1. Jon Beason, OLB. I really, really, really would like to take Okoye here because I think he'll be the dominant DT we need to make this defense function at 100%. But doing so would require giving up on either McCargo or KW after one season, and as we have such a gaping hole at LB I think we need to incorporate need over pure value at this pick. With Mike Mayock listing him as best available LB and Scott Wright picking him to go to Carolina at #14, I don't think the pundits will call this too much of a reach anymore. [not that Marv gives two hoots what the pundits think].
2. Jason Hill, WR. Tempted to go CB here, but either Hill or Sidney Rice are too intriguing to pass up. NFL.com compares Hill to Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson as a guy who demonstrates huge big play ability despite lack of elite timed speed.
3a. Kenny Irons, RB. I'm a little torn between him and Antonio Pittman, but Irons reminds me of Travis Henry. And NFL.com compares him to Jerious Norwood. Either way, he'd be a nice complement to A-Train.
3b. Best available CB. I like the sound of Daymeon Hughes and Tanard Jackson, if they're available though they probably won't be. Otherwise I don't have a strong opinion on this pick but we need another CB.
4. Pure BPA. Someone will fall to us in the 4th with 2nd or 3rd round talent. This is the perfect spot to take a pure BPA as we've addressed our main needs at RB/CB/LB/WR.
6. Jackie Battle, RB/FB. I think the dude deserves a flyer as a 235 lb bruiser with 4.4 speed and a great work ethic My only reservation is he supposedly can't catch, which would make him a more ideal FB option out of the backfield.
7a & b. BPA. sorry for being lazy, I have to get back to work.