PDA

View Full Version : Statman has the post of the year!!!!

BILLSROCK1212
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
How many of you said the same things when "the press" said that we were good but never were? ('01, '02, '03, '04, '05)

It's never wise to listen to the talking heads, but let's be real here, you can count the impact players on our team on one hand; Evans and Peters on offense is pretty much all of them there until Losman steps out of the ranks of the "merely good." I anticipate that he will, but until he does it hasn't happened.

On defense we have what, Schobel? Whitner and Simpson both look good and imo Simpson is the better of the two, especially in our type of D. But neither can be considered an "impact player" based on last season's performances.

All of the worst teams in the league have some good players.

Arizona has Boldin, Edge, and Fitzgerald and some other players that they would equate to Whitner and Simpson; Leinart e.g.

Detroit has Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, Dre Bly, Shaun Rogers. They have their last year's rookie hopefuls too: Ernie Sims, Daniel Bullock, Jonathon Scott for which the same things can be said as we're saying about ours.

Oakland has Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Derrick Burgess, and their last year's draftees Huff, Howard, Bing, etc.

Houston has/had Andre Johnson, and DeMeco Ryans and their draftees from last year including Mario Williams, which you may poo-poo although he had a much better rookie year than McCargo even only on a game by game basis.

A few decent players is not much basis for hopes that your team is going to have much of a shot at anything relevant.

Our guys are Losman, Evans, Peters, Schobel, and hopefully some of last year's draftees. Really not much different than those other bad teams.

We can hope that players like Youboty, McCargo, Ellison, Haggan, and a few others step up and work out, but the odds of that happening are no different than they've been in the past or than they are for other teams. Are we special in that regard? Hardly.

It's easy to say that all the guys that just walked sucked or aren't of any utility anymore, and it's good to look at the silver linings in that way as fans, but the realities are the realities. Talk is talk.

Fletcher yes, was on the wrong side of 30 and not worth the contract. But was Langston Walker worth the contract? Two years from now you'll be saying the exact same thing about him. He's not good.

Sure, Clements wasn't worth his contract, but after your strip off the years of his contract that won't be paid, he barely got much more than Dockery did for the five or six years each will be around. So what's the difference there? They got almost equal guaranteed money.

And just because "a player got too much elsewhere" does not mean that we will not see a downgrade in play at that position. It simpliy means what it means, that we weren't willing to shell out that kind of cash. But then again, we nearly shelled out an equal amount on a year by year basis for Dockery. So I ask, what's really the difference if after five seasons both players got about the same overall? Which one of the two would have helped us more? I don't know, I'm just asking the tough questions.

We don't simply win games because we're the Bills and other teams aren't. If you want to think that we're gonna win ten or a dozen games this year, great, feel free. But the realities are that we're not as good a team as last year's team was.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=124549

Don't tell me that, that is not a great post!!!!

Tatonka
04-15-2007, 11:44 PM
it was too long and boring.. i got to the part around arizona.. then dozed off.

jamze132
04-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah, uh... way to make everyone fall asleep. I am noticing a pattern with Billsrock's posts.

John Doe
04-16-2007, 05:50 AM
On defense we have what, Schobel? Whitner and Simpson both look good and imo Simpson is the better of the two, especially in our type of D. But neither can be considered an "impact player" based on last season's performances.

Some guys develop into "impact players" - they don't always step into that role in their first year. Maybe some of these young guys will be considered "impact players" after next season.

BILLSROCK1212
04-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah, uh... way to make everyone fall asleep. I am noticing a pattern with Billsrock's posts.wasn't my post it was a post that i liked from someone else

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-16-2007, 07:05 AM
I agree, very boring.

mikemac2001
04-16-2007, 07:15 AM
statsman posted it on diff thread he was just brining it over, name of thread.

Don't Panic
04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
If anything, this post proved that having a bunch of talent means little towards being a truly good team. You know what an underrated player is? A guy who nobody saw coming who hit the right system/team/coaching staff and played to his utmost. I think you're going to see a lot of unerrated players on the BIlls this year, and in a year or two, a lot of people will be singing their praises. The whole concept here has been to build a team, niot a collection of individuals; to have chemistry trump straight talent; to put the focus on hard work over self-appreciation. It may not come this year... in fact, in may never come, but I for one have to applaud the approach. It will be very easy to root for the Bills this year, much easier than it has been in the recent past.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2007, 07:35 AM
A year ago I posted we have no stars on this team. It was true and I believe that this was the point of this post.

However, I don't believe a team goes to the Superbowl with stars as much as a good to great core. Those 5 positions/players are:

QB
WR (#1)
RB
DE
LB

5 key players to build a team around. Of that we have Evans and Schobel. Losman has his defining year coming up, we don't have a RB or LB so it's pretty to see why Superbowl should not be an expectation.

Statman
04-16-2007, 08:15 AM
But of course.

LOL

Statman
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Yet naturally you feel perfectly qualified to comment on Billsrock's post, huh.

Sometimes the problems are right under people's noses.

;)

Jan Reimers
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM
I prefer to watch players like JP, Whitner, Simpson, Crowell and some other young guys develop, to see how the draft goes, and to give Marv and his staff a little more time to try to overcome the 5 year Donahoe Debacle, rather than living in the past.

Dont drink the water
04-16-2007, 12:16 PM
It is written like it was an essay for a college and he needed to squeeze a lot of words into it. Make him trim article to 25% and it might be worth reading.