PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a "W Sapp" to make this d go?

acehole
04-16-2007, 08:39 AM
I got this off another board and I have no link to the original story...but I think he nails it on many levels......

One Players Declining stock may Tempt the Bills.

By: Steve Mathes

When Marv Levy came back to the Buffalo Bills just before last off-season he promised to put a football team on the field that was full of character. He proved that by surprising many in the draft last season by drafting the likes of Donte Whitner, and Kyle Williams. This off-season Levy’s plan diverted just a little. While Levy’s priority is still character, size is a factor as well. Levy soon realized the terrible state of the frontlines Tom Donahoe had left him with. That was evident with the free agent signings of Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Jason Whittle, and the acquisition of Darwin Walker via trade this off-season. This splurge into the market for big men lead many to believe the Bills are no longer in need of help in those positions, those people are wrong.

Last season when fans watched the likes of Thomas Jones run for big scores, and safeties like Troy Polamalu make game changing plays they often overlook the reason that these plays happened. The plays are not a result of the playmaker, but the road graders on the offensive and defensive lines. Just think before Jones was a Bear he was a high profile first round bust for the Arizona Cardinals. When he was acquired by the Bears and put behind an All-Pro offensive line he became one of the leagues elite running backs. Polamalu like Donte Whitner was a first round pick for his organization. While Whitner was solid for Buffalo last season he has had nowhere near the impact of Polamalu. That reason is probably the fault of an in-adequate pass rush from the Bills. Polamalu with the Steelers is able to make so many of the game changing plays that he does because of the pressure his defensive lineman put on the quarterback. The pressure applied by these “big uglies” of the Steelers forced many quarterbacks to force throws, and make arrant passes. Their ability to stop the run in Pittsburgh also allowed Polamalu to drop back into coverage more often, and blitz without worrying about giving up the big play.

That’s why fans should not be surprised to see the Bill draft another unexpected player; however this time the player would not be a reach. One player who’s draft stock is dipping is Alan Brach the big 6-5, 330 pound defensive tackle out of Michigan. If Branch is still on the board when the Bills pick at 12 don’t be surprised if the Roger Godell calls his name. Although many expect the Bills to go linebacker at this spot that would not be a wise decision, with the likes of Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, and Jon Beason coming in with a lot of baggage. For Willis and Posluszny their injury concerns, for Willis numerous nagging injuries, and “Poz” a blown out knee late in the 2005 season, may raise a red flag for the Bills. The university if Miami product Beason’s character concerns make him a risky pick as well, think McGahee but at linebacker. However these issues are not why these kids won’t be the best pick for the Bills at 12. It’s simply the fact that they are not special players, their just solid run of the mill guys that, if not for such a weak linebacking class, would probably fall to the teams in the late first, early second round. Branch on the other hand is a physical freak. With his measurables he would be a perfect fit in Buffalo’s Tampa 2 scheme. Think of him as Warren Sapp without the attitude. At 330 pounds his 5.09 40 time is very good. He is a playmaker who could clog up the holes opposing running backs ran through all last season, and still provide an adequate pass rush. People see the addition of Darwin Walker as good because the pass rush he and Tripplett will provide will make the defensive line very scary, but it won’t if teams run the ball so well that there are no third and long situations to bring the proper pass rush. With Branch he can stop the run, and force the third and long situations, allowing the Bills to put both Tripplett and Walker out to work their magic. Plus Brach will aid the Bills terrible goal line defense that gave up way to many easy touchdowns last year. For those of you who wonder the fate of last seasons rookie defensive tackles, John McCargo and Kyle Williams, they will still be very valuable as depth players to the Bills defense since both of them can play the one and three technique tackles. Adding Branch would come as a surprise to many, but his game just suits the Bills needs so well. Marv knows that the big guys up front are the key, and with the likes of Walker, Tripplett, Branch, McCargo, Williams, Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and Hargrove the Bills will be difficult to both run and pass on.

The Bills offensive line was terrible last season, and that was fixed this off-season. However two bright spots on the offensive line last season were the two tackles, Jason Peters and Terrance Pennington. Peters was arguably one of the best tackles in the AFC last season, and Pennington who came on strong at the end of last season could easily get to that level with another year of seasoning. In free agency the Bills spent 75 million dollars to sure up the guard positions with Derrick Dockery, and Langston Walker. With those two in the fold the Bills offensive line from left to right looks like this: Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Walker, and Pennington. That is a very solid offensive line, and although Fowler and Losman gelled real well last season there is one player in the draft that would make this offensive line dominant. That player is USC’s senior center Ryan Kalil. Kalil is one of those players who you can plug into an offense right away and you know he’ll be their for the next ten years. Just look at Nick Mangold of the Jets, he is a similar center, and he had an all pro year for the Jets in his rookie campaign last season. Now, Kalil may not be their for the Bills in the second round, but Levy showed last season he isn’t afraid to trade up. Look for him to deal his second, and one of his thirds to move up for Kalil if he is in fact their man. Many people expect the Bills to go running back with this pick but Kalil is too great a talent to pass on acquiring. He would solidify this Bills offensive line, and could join the likes of Kent Hull as a center for the Bills.

With their third round pick expect the Bills to add a running back to their rotation. The reason for holding off on a back is probably Marv’s admiration for Fred Jackson a young runner already on the Bills roster. However the Bills still need another back to compete for the job of complimenting Anthony Thomas. In the third round expect the Bills to take a real hard look at Lorenzo Booker a talented young runner out of Florida St. Booker is by no means a feature back but his speed, receiving ability, and pass blocking in the backfield make him a solid compliment guy. I can just imagine it now, Thomas wearing down the defense, and then Booker breaking one for 50 yards on a run or a screen. In the fourth round expect the Bills to add a linebacker, but not a middle linebacker. Keith Ellison played well for the Bills last season but not well enough to be handed the job. Levy and the boys in the war room should take a serious look at Tony Taylor a WLB from Georgia. This guy can be described with two words, Ball Hawk; Taylor had three sacks and a whopping seven interceptions last season in the difficult SEC. With the big bodies in place the Bills will start to make their move for playmakers, and ball hawks like Booker, and Taylor.

In the later rounds of the draft look for the Bills to zero in on more playmakers and ball hawks. Guys like Jon Abbate a middle linebacker from Wake Forest. Abbate might not have all the physical tools you look for but he has been compared to Dolphins middle linebacker Zach Thomas for his ability to play out of his body, and get the job done in the middle of the defense. Abbate may never be a star but he will certainly provide depth at middle linebacker behind Crowell, and be a solid special teamer. On the offensive side of the ball remember the name Jordan Kent. Kent is a 6-4, 220 pound WR with a ton of athletic ability, but a lack of game experience. He is a former basketball and track star so he may be limited with his offensive skills for a year or two, but with his athletic ability he should be able to fill the loss of Andre Davis as a gunner on special teams. With their last pick look for the Bills to take a flyer on a return man like Eldra Buckley a running back from Chattanooga. Buckley is a small school running back who can compete for a spot in the backfield but his return ability will be what the Bills covet. The Bills will need a new return man since Terrance McGee is now the number one corner and can’t risk an injury returning kicks. The Bills could also look for a corner with any of these picks to add depth to their secondary.

If the Bills took this path in the draft it would be beneficial to their future, but may hurt them in the now. Without taking a linebacker on day one the Bills would have to take a flyer on a free agent like Donnie Spraghan, or Warrick Holdman to play the strong side. The Bills would most likely have to add a safety as well since there is little depth behind youngsters Donte Whitner, and Ko Simpson.

Though this draft would be risky it would be beneficial. The additions of Branch and Kalil would solidify both lines. I know this draft is hard to fathom but just picture all the Bills young playmakers having a chance to show what they can do. Whether it be Whitner, or Simpson having an opportunity to pick off more arrant throws, or Losman having time to launch more 83 yard bombs to Lee Evans. Why do you think teams like the Patriots, and Steelers are so successful. It’s because the front lines are the body of the car, and the playmakers are the interchangeable parts that can be replaced any time they get to pricy. The big guys in front make the teams, and the Bills have a chance to solidify their future for the next decade.<!--QuoteEnd-->

gr8slayer
04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't know if I would want Branch, from what I've read the guy is pretty lazy and often over weight.

EDS
04-16-2007, 09:01 AM
I think the Bills will need some type of dynamic playmaker to make the Tampa 2 defense really work. Tampa was at its best when it had a great DT (Sapp) and a great linebacker (Brooks). Similarly, Chicago was at its best the past two years when they had a healthy and dominate DT (Harris) and LB (Urlacher).

streetkings01
04-16-2007, 09:12 AM
What we really need to make this defense work is...................more freaking time!!!!! I mean for real, last year was our 1st year learning a new defense...it does take time you know? Take a look at all teams that ran the cover2 or any new defense for the 1st time....it takes time! Our defense played way better down the stretch and I expect that to carry over to this year. Our rookies have gained valuable experience and will have a full offseason polishing there skills unlike last season. Just be patient...we aren't on code red just yet sheesh!

streetkings01
04-16-2007, 09:14 AM
You do know that Chicago struggled on defense there 1st year under Lovie with Harris, Urlacher, and Briggs right? It took them until year 2 till their defense got good and I expect the same from us!

gr8slayer
04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
You do know that Chicago struggled on defense there 1st year under Lovie with Harris, Urlacher, and Briggs right? It took them until year 2 till their defense got good and I expect the same from us!
Well to be fair Lovie also inherited a pretty damn good team and had a couple marvelous drafts.

Pinkerton Security
04-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I like Branch, and Kalil, but if we draft Branch then trade up to get Kalil, I'm gonna be more than a little upset.

We have too many gaping holes on our team to be spending high picks like that to simply upgrade over current decent players.

streetkings01
04-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Well to be fair Lovie also inherited a pretty damn good team and had a couple marvelous drafts.What was their record that 1st year under Lovie? They did have what the #4 or #5 pick in the NFL draft right, which they used to sign Benson! The fact remmains that the Bears D was trash under Lovie his 1st year but have been excelllent year 2 into year 3 because of time in the new D and drafting players that fit the new D. I expect Levy, Jauron, and Fewell to have all the pieces in place by on opening day 2008.

Night Train
04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Fowler is like many Centers in the NFL that need some help from the Guards. Unfortunately, he didn't have any talent on either side of him the last couple of years. Langston Walker could wind up at Guard, leaving Pennington outside. That would make our line enormous and put less pressure on Fowler.

Alan Branch is a force but showed up out of shape at the Indy Combine and didn't change that view at his pro day. Classic Boom or Bust type. If he isn't motivated now, imagine how he'll be with a big salary and bonus. Yikes !

I still like Okoye better at DT.

HAMMER
04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I would jump for joy if this scenario played out. I have always been a huge proponent of dominant line play being the determining factor in most all football games. We would be in very good shape for years on both lines if this played out.

Photo Guy WNY
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.ccps.k12.va.us/news_release0506/rhhs/images/mccargo.jpg