PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Tampa Bay to trade for 1st pick in draft

BILLSROCK1212
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-bucsjohnson041607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Tampa Bay talking trade for Johnson?
By John Murphy and Jason Cole
April 16, 2007
There is increasing speculation among personnel men that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are going to make a run at trading up from No. 4 overall to the top pick in the NFL draft in an effort to get Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"I definitely get the feeling that's where the Bucs are going," an executive from another NFL team said this week.

Three weeks ago, Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen said he had been in contact with Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis.

"Al talked to me about what he wants to do, but I'm not sharing that with you," Allen said with a smile. There was speculation that the Bucs had already offered Oakland all four of their picks in the first three rounds (Nos. 4, 35, 64 and 68 overall) to move up. The Bucs received the No. 64 overall pick after trading defensive tackle Anthony McFarland to the Indianapolis Colts last season.

However, that trade offer involving Tampa Bay and Oakland seems premature to observers.

"I don't think you play your hand that much right now. That's the type of thing that you wait until the week before the draft to start doing," an NFL source said.

Tampa Bay met with Johnson in Atlanta on Friday and agent Bus Cook said the meeting went very well.

"Calvin was impressed with them and he got the feeling they were very interested in him," Cook said.

The Bucs also met with quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell of LSU and Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, which many outsiders believe is simply a diversion to conceal their strong interest in Johnson. Bucs coach Jon Gruden has been effusive in his praise of both Russell and Quinn.

"Gruden isn't taking a quarterback," the general manager of another NFL team said. "He doesn't like young quarterbacks. He already tried that route with [Chris] Simms and he couldn't stand it. And he has to win now."

There is a strong belief around the NFL that Gruden, who has gone to the playoffs once in the four seasons since leading the Buccaneers to the Super Bowl title, is under pressure to win this season. Given that, the 6-foot-5, 239-pound Johnson is considered the most NFL-ready player at this point.

Johnson ran a stunning 4.37 at the NFL scouting combine in February, was a unanimous All-American selection and was the ACC Player of the Year last season.

Updated on Monday, Apr 16, 2007 3:20 pm EDT

!Papacrunk!
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Hopefully for the Bucs sake, the Raiders have a short memory of their shellacking they got from the Bucs back when the Bucs won the SB. You know, from no help what so ever from Gruden knowing the playbook or whatever.

don137
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
The Raiders would be crazy not to take that type of trade. Tey have so many holes they could really help themselves.

casdhf
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
They could still get Quinn/Russell and fix the entire OL. It would be a good move.

YardRat
04-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't believe TB would spend their entire first day on Johnson. Hell, he'll probably be there when 4 comes around anyway.

jamesiscool
04-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I can't believe TB would spend their entire first day on Johnson. Hell, he'll probably be there when 4 comes around anyway.

ehhhhh i dont think he'll be there at 4. he's too good of an athelete to just sit there.

but it DEF is way too much to pay for him. unless he becomes the best WR in the history of the nfl. THEN its worth ever penny.

don137
04-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Detroit wants him to trade for a boatload of picks is the rumor as well...With so many holes it makes sense to stockpile picks

Philagape
04-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Great, I picked Tampa in the BZ mock draft :ill:

ShadowHawk7
04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
They could still get Quinn/Russell and fix the entire OL. It would be a good move.
Honestly, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

YardRat
04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
ehhhhh i dont think he'll be there at 4. he's too good of an athelete to just sit there.

but it DEF is way too much to pay for him. unless he becomes the best WR in the history of the nfl. THEN its worth ever penny.

I don't think Detroit will take him. Oakland and Cleveland will go Russell, Peterson, or Quinn, IMO. I think he's there.

Of course, Millen is a dumbass...

chubluv
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
If it is truth and not a rumor the Raiders would be crazy not to take the trade.

clumping platelets
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Raiders should make that deal..........they can still get one of the QBs at #4 and pay less $$

Dantheman1280
04-17-2007, 10:23 AM
What do you think the Raiders will get in terms of compensation??? TB is gonna have to pay through the nose.

R. Rich
04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, Johnson is a pretty big guy w/ speed. Maybe he'll double as a pass rusher for the Bucs? That way, they can get the playmaking WR they can certainly use, plus upgrade their geriatric defensive line.

Elminster
04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
If I was Al Davis, I'd do that in an instant. Of course, Al Davis is prolly not all here anymore, so I have no idea what he'd do if he was Al Davis....