PDA

View Full Version : WGR has to improve their transmission...

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
how come Saturday when I was in Cobleskill, NY I was able to get the game in perfectly in my car but tonight (and every night) I have trouble getting their transmission in Orchard Park?? I know it has to do with signal transmission and FCC rules but this is silly.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I was just past Cleveland in the fall and I got it in the car. I thought it was because of the lake.

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I was just past Cleveland in the fall and I got it in the car. I thought it was because of the lake.
try it on Southwestern Blvd. Some nights you can even hear the signal switch to a weaker power.

Typ0
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
try it on Southwestern Blvd. Some nights you can even hear the signal switch to a weaker power.

they are regulated to switch to a weaker power. Listen on the internet.

lordofgun
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
At sunset, they are mandated to drop to an obscenely low power. It won't ever change. The FCC won't allow it. What they should do is buy a station that has a higher nighttime wattage and simulcast. :up:

Michael82
04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
At sunset, they are mandated to drop to an obscenely low power. It won't ever change. The FCC won't allow it. What they should do is buy a station that has a higher nighttime wattage and simulcast. :up:
Rochester put it on an FM station, so now it's easier to get in farther away places.... 98.9

Myers57
04-16-2007, 10:01 PM
am signals go further at night, the am station i used to work at in warsaw had to sign off at sunset

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-16-2007, 10:27 PM

KB 1520 50,000 Watts of power back in the 50's it could be heard up and down the East Coast

clumping platelets
04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
how come Saturday when I was in Cobleskill, NY I was able to get the game in perfectly in my car but tonight (and every night) I have trouble getting their transmission in Orchard Park?? I know it has to do with signal transmission and FCC rules but this is silly.

Watch the game on TV :shakeno:

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Watch the game on TV :shakeno:
I was taking a shower during the intermission :shakeno:

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 11:23 PM
yes, i know that but why can I get it halfway across the state (Cobleskill) but not in Orchard Park?

clumping platelets
04-16-2007, 11:31 PM

Wait until the game is over then :shakeno:

hammerbillsfan
04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
:movie:

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
I thought Eb usually waited until the week was over?

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Some of us like to be on time to work...game ended at 10:20...would have never made it on time.

Ebenezer
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I thought Eb usually waited until the week was over?
har har....

Bufftp
04-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Well that won't be a problem again for another month...

Michael82
04-17-2007, 08:41 AM
am signals go further at night, the am station i used to work at in warsaw had to sign off at sunset
They did SO much better when it was on WNSA! You could easily get the transmission all over Buffalo and even Rochester. I don't know why they didn't keep that station to simulcast it or at least simulcast it on another station.

Bill Brasky
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
i wish they would switch to a lower frequency when mike schoop comes on the air. that guy is more negative than an HIV test... not to mention he is a know-it-all about everything.

lordofgun
04-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Eb a lot of it depends on the atmosphere on a certain night. Cloud cover, etc. can affect an AM signal. AM signals also bounce off water (then clouds) and go forever. Also, some stations have directional towers where they shoot the signal in a certain direction and other directions are backed off to compensate. I think WGR is nondirectional though.

Ebenezer
04-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Eb a lot of it depends on the atmosphere on a certain night. Cloud cover, etc. can affect an AM signal. AM signals also bounce off water (then clouds) and go forever. Also, some stations have directional towers where they shoot the signal in a certain direction and other directions are backed off to compensate. I think WGR is nondirectional though.
I understand all that but this happens every night regardless of the conditions...I would just think they could turn it up a little so that folks who live within 10 miles of the city could get the broadcast...then again, I might be in some sort of area where the signal drops out because, as you said, of directional aspects.

lordofgun
04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
I understand all that but this happens every night regardless of the conditions...I would just think they could turn it up a little so that folks who live within 10 miles of the city could get the broadcast...then again, I might be in some sort of area where the signal drops out because, as you said, of directional aspects.
They can't turn it up at all. Otherwise, they'd interfere with other stations on the dial at 550.

Ebenezer
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
They can't turn it up at all. Otherwise, they'd interfere with other stations on the dial at 550.
so how much of their signal do they dampen?? you can actually hear them switch it over in the morning and evening.

lordofgun
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
so how much of their signal do they dampen?? you can actually hear them switch it over in the morning and evening.

WGR's broadcast signal broadcasts at a power of 5,000 watts. During the day, the nondirectional signal, assisted by the Great Lakes, can stretch from Cleveland, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland%2C_Ohio) to Watertown, New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watertown%2C_New_York). At night, the signal is shifted to a directional north-to-south pattern aimed toward Toronto, Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto%2C_Ontario).
In 2006, WGR resumed streaming its programming on the Internet after a four-year hiatus.

This could explain it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGR

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
5000 watts? WTF?

That's nothing.

Michael82
04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
That explains it. :ill:

Ebenezer
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
This could explain it...