PDA

View Full Version : McCargo on board for Bills

Don't Panic
04-18-2007, 04:11 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills-mccargo-onboard180407.html

McCargo's ability to rebound from the injury that prematurely concluded his rookie campaign can only aid a besieged corps of defensive tackles, one that must improve both to help pass coverage and stop rushers who made their names during Bills games. Wanting to see what a first-rounder can do with a full season is natural, but in McCargo's case, seeing him perform is more of a necessity than a gradual luxury.

The key to effective tackle play for the Bills is a solid rotation. If what has been sold to fans as an unfettered dash to the ball carrier on every single play is to be pulled off, fresh bodies are the key. Things could change at the draft, but it doesn't appear they're looking for a massive guy at the nose: This isn't a single tackle, Ted Washington-type situation where you park a dump truck in the center of the line, but rather one where the team uses smaller, speedier, peskier players who are hard to catch. Both interior linemen, including the nose tackle, need to be elusive. That should work out for McCargo, whose best asset is quickness as opposed to power.

Here's to hoping he's at least a partial fix. Hopefully the full roatation will keep things fresh.

Night Train
04-18-2007, 04:27 AM
I'm a bit concerned after watching that Bills Focus video last month with Chris Brown, over at the Bills website.

It showed McCargo working on some sort of step climber machine, still rehabbing his foot. He couldn't really run on it yet, at that time. He had surgery a 2nd time, which supposedly was not treated correctly during the first surgery in North Carolina. Had to fuse a bone this time around with a plate, for proper healing.

So I'm viewing him and Kyle Williams, who was pushed around rather easily last season, as our depth up the middle at the 1 Gap. Anderson also. I also remember how teams just ran right up the middle on us last season, with little problem. That must change.

This makes me think another DT may be selected during our draft. McCargo could be fine but is no lock with that foot issue.

Anderson and Williams both have the same build. Pudgy, short arms and unable to get off the Guards to make plays. Williams better have hit the weights in a big way. Despite his feel good press from last year, he's still a 5th round guy with a long way to go. Maybe nothing more than a backup.

I'm rooting for McCargo but we may need some more depth at DT.

Don't Panic
04-18-2007, 05:59 AM
It is a very uncertain position at this point, that much is for sure. I'm still unclear as to what the def. coaches are thinking as far as approach, but you may be right - we made need to use a mid-round pick on a DT just to make sure we have enough variance at the DT spot. The draft will say a lot about the coaching staff's confidence with what they already have in place.