• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Turner key to Chargers' ascent

If the Chargers trade restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner before the April 28-29 NFL draft, they could be in a great position to trade up and possibly select a franchise-type player.

The defending AFC West champions don't have many holes on their roster after going 14-2 last season, but they could use upgrades at wide receiver and safety.

Most NFL people believe Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson and LSU safety LaRon Landry are the dominant prospects at their positions, with everyone else a notch below. Each is expected to be drafted among the top 10 picks – with Johnson possibly going No. 1 overall.

The Chargers hold the 30th pick. But that could change if they deal Turner for a first-round pick this year, then package that choice with one or more of their own picks to move up.

Based on the trade chart obtained from NFL.com, the Chargers would need at least 1,400 points to get as high as No. 8 and have a shot at Landry, who isn't expected to last beyond that spot. Their 30th pick is worth 620 points, based on the chart, so theoretically they would need an additional 780 points to make a deal work.
    Enter the Bills and the Titans, who have expressed strong interest in Turner. If the Chargers can acquire either of their first-round picks this year – Buffalo selects 12th, Tennessee 19th – they would have more than enough points to get into the eighth spot.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Turner key to Chargers' ascent

They're dreaming... or at least he is.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

It may indeed be dreaming... but it's something to discuss. That's what we do here!

Despite the articles saying Turner is staying, it's the time of year where I believe nothing I read. The classic game of pre-draft poker is still in session.

I'd swap 1st round picks with SD for Turner in a second. Even throw in one of our 3rds. That would solve our RB problem immediately. Turner would sign and be in Buffalo immediately, instead of waiting for some Rookie to sign in August.

Plus we'd still have 3 first day picks to use on LB and other areas of need.

How does that not vastly improve our team ?

SD can talk about their 14-2 record all day and night, pretending they don't wish to trade Turner. This just in. They can't win a freakin' playoff game and LT,Gates and Co. only get so many opportunities. A.J. Smith is under pressure to win NOW in the playoffs.

SD is still shopping Turner. Believe it.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I found the article interesting because it's the first I've heard of SD possibly trying to get into the top 10 to grab someone.

If that is the case, and they really covet Landry, Marv should have some down cards in his favor.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Best I'd offer is to swap 1st's and 3rd's.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by draz54
            If we're swapping 1st's, I'm not giving them anything else.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
              It may indeed be dreaming... but it's something to discuss. That's what we do here!
              By all means, discuss away. I was just giving my 2 cents.

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that neither the Bills or Titans are going to give SD a 1st for Turner. If they were, I think the trade would have been done by now. Unless SD lowers their demands, I would guess that Turner will be a Charger this coming season.
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

Why in the world do they think they can get a first for Turner? No way do you give up the #12 overall pick for a position that is a dime a dozen and for a player that has not proven he can handle the load as the starter.
                  I do not mind swapping firsts and trading the 3rd rounder received for McGahee. We still would have a pick in every round and get a RB out of it. We could get a LB , a DB for depth and a TE while getting a RB. San Diego could still get a great player like Nelson at safety or Ginn to replace Turner on kickoffs and get there WR.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by draz54

If I am swapping firsts they should also be giving the Bills a 3rd.

Comment

• Elminster
                      #1 Kelsay Fan
                      • Oct 2006

I'd swap first for Turner. No more...but think about it. We address RB, and then...hmmm. Wait, no, sounds sketchy to me. At least if we want a top linebacker prospect....
                      Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

We're better off trading down from 12 for extra picks and staying in the top 22 picks IMO.

Swapping 1st's with SD takes us too far down in rd #1.

I personally don't think using any part of our 1st rd pick towards Turner is a smart move unless it's a multi-team trade that leaves us with 3 1st day picks and keeps our 1st rd selection in the top 22 picks. I think a multi-team trade is far fetched and won't happen.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Swapping firsts isn't enough for SD. When are you guys gonna wake up?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Randy Cross on Sirius this morning said Marv must've had milk coming out of his nose when he heard the 1st and 3rd SD wanted for Turner.

Comment

• capitolneal
                              • Sep 2003

I wouldn't swap firsts NO WAY I would give them say a 3rd and a seventh he comes cheap next yr how many times can u tag a back up running back AJ is wishing the most he will get is a second for Turner..... I say forget turner get Irons in the 2nd and lets wotk on the D that just lost 3 starters

Comment

Working...
                              X