PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bucs and Lions to swap first rounders

BILLSROCK1212
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
POSTED 11:44 a.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

BUCS-LIONS WORKING ON A DEAL

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

We're keeping a close eye on this one. Check back for more details.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
The point difference between #2 and #4 is 800 points, which is equivalent to the 21st pick overall. Would you take the 32 year old DE at 21st overall?

I don't think that's enough for the Lions to swap picks.

BILLSROCK1212
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
The point difference between #2 and #4 is 800 points, which is equivalent to the 21st pick overall. Would you take the 32 year old DE at 21st overall?

I don't think that's enough for the Lions to swap picks.of course more will be involved in the trade

Neggie Nancy
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Det would be doing TB a FAVOR by taking Rice and his aging salary of their hands.

But I do agree with the premise.. one way or the other, I think CJ ends up in TB, because I think the RAiders are a lock to take Russell at this point.

BILLSROCK1212
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Det would be doing TB a FAVOR by taking Rice and his aging salary of their hands.

But I do agree with the premise.. one way or the other, I think CJ ends up in TB, because I think the RAiders are a lock to take Russell at this point.that would leave the Bucs with i am pretty sure one defensive lineman from their opening day starting line up last year and i think that would be Chris Hovan

Coach Sal
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
There are a couple reasons this doesn't make much sense to me.

1. The Lions just signed DE DeWayne White (who was Rice's backup in Tampa, by the way) to a decent deal and plan to start him.

2. Even if the Lions do want to bring in another DE on top of White, part of the reason they would move down to four is because they could still grab Gaines Adams there. And they are reportedly very interested (albeit very quitely) in Adams.

The ONLY reason this report - as it is now - makes any sense to me is that Detroit's Head Coach, Rod Marinelli, was Rice's position coach in Tampa and may be willing to overpay for him, even considering his age and salary.

I have no reason to doubt the two teams are talking and the Lions are willing to swap. But with Rice as part of the package, and not much else? That doesn't make much sense.

Then again, this is the Lions we are talking about.

Neggie Nancy
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Exactly..

1- It is the Lions your talking about.

2- White got $30 grrrr.. NOt chump change..

3- I think they'd take Joe Thomas under these circumstances, not Adams.

Coach Sal
04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Not to mention the fact that trading Rice would leave the Bucs with exactly zero pass rushing threats.

Their top two DE's would be Greg Spires and Kevin Carter.

So, this doesn't make sense for either team, really. At least the Rice part.

Night Train
04-19-2007, 07:17 AM
There is a difference between an actual report and rumors from PFT.

casdhf
04-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Am I the only one that things this is a good deal for the Lions? If they get Rice and a mid round pick for a swap of 2 spots ... I think that'll really help them out.

Coach Sal
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Am I the only one that things this is a good deal for the Lions? If they get Rice and a mid round pick for a swap of 2 spots ... I think that'll really help them out.

If they got another 3rd rounder I think it would make a lot more sense. Even a 4th rounder might make it worth the value.

As it is, I don't think it's necessarily a bad deal for the Lions, it just doesn't make sense for them to make it. They signed Kalimba Edwards to a 5-year extension ($20 M) before last season, and re-signed Corey Smith to a 1-year deal just last month to back them up. I don't see how or why they would put Edwards or White on the bench considering the money they just shelled out to them and the fact that they are both young, yet experienced and and still with upsides.

Stewie
04-19-2007, 07:54 AM
D-Lineman rotate... I don't see anything wrong with having 3 or 4 guys being paid "starter" money as defensive ends

Dozerdog
04-19-2007, 09:16 AM
You also don't make this move until after the Raiders pick- or sign Russell before the draft.

They would look stupid if both teams made this trade, and neither got the guy they wanted