PDA

View Full Version : Okoye Admits To Using Marijuana

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Louisville DT Amobi Okoye admitted to using marijuana in college during a pre-draft event.
Gaines Adams (Clemson) and Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) reportedly made similar admissions. Okoye said he tried the drug as a 16-year-old freshman at Louisville. We doubt this will affect any of their draft stocks.

Can't draft him now, he's no longer a Marv guy :rolleyes:

Typ0
04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
why not?

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
why not?
Because now he's not a Marv guy. Apparently you have to be a saint to be drafted by this team, or so some people would have you believe.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
16 year old kids make a lot of mistakes.

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
16 year old kids make a lot of mistakes.
He isn't 16 anymore.

using marijuana in college during a pre-draft event.

don137
04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't worry, he didn't inhale...Just wait if he gets drafted by Miami and Ricky Williams gets a hold of him..

JJamezz
I know they're cracking down and trying to send a message.. but come on, who hasn't TRIED it? I give him credit for being honest..

casdhf
I think it implies that he was at a draft event when he was 16.

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I know they're cracking down and trying to send a message.. but come on, who hasn't TRIED it? I give him credit for being honest..
I haven't.

JJamezz
Oh, and potheads generally don't graduate college at 19...

Philagape
I suspect that's a poorly worded sentence ... the clause "during a pre-draft event" refers to the admission, not the use, I assume.

JJamezz
I haven't.

:loser:

gr8slayer
I think it implies that he was at a draft event when he was 16.
I guess, still makes it no better in my eyes.

JJamezz
04-18-2007, 06:31 PM
And yes, it was referring to some past event, Schefter specifically said he was 16 at the time.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2007, 06:32 PM
He isn't 16 anymore.

exactly.that's why i'm not worried about it.

Typ0
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Because now he's not a Marv guy. Apparently you have to be a saint to be drafted by this team, or so some people would have you believe.

I am not so sure taking a toke means you have bad football character...

camelcowboy
04-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Get real, you are a minority in the sense. I would bet over 60 percent of all the kids being drafted in one form or another have tried the hippie lettuce.

BAM
04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Wish I could smoke a fatty right now!

mikemac2001
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
This means nothing he was a kid, admitted to it and i bet marv smoked up at 16

Bill Brasky
04-18-2007, 06:46 PM

nail on head!

SABURZFAN
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM

i would normally :lolpoint: BAM but the Holy Grail is watching. :couch:

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
No half naked women but you are all for an illegal substance, now I'm confused.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey, man, do you have a link?

Thanks...

Bling
04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
So when Miami drafts him, I'm going to her endless amounts of "Okoye and Ricky sitting in the tree, s-m-o-k-i-n-g in the pothead tree." Great...

SABURZFAN
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM

one word-marriage

camelcowboy
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I called my bong in highschool the holy grail.

Bling
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I've never used marijuana or drugs, never been drunk (been tipsy), and never smoked. Do I win?

camelcowboy
04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I've never used marijuana or drugs, never been drunk (been tipsy), and never smoked. Do I win? I didn't smoke or drink in middle school either, wait till college

casdhf
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
And you call yourself a Dolphin fan?

casdhf
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Have you at least beaten a woman??

JJamezz
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I've never used marijuana or drugs, never been drunk (been tipsy), and never smoked. Do I win?

I guess that depends on what your definition of 'win' is..

:D

TigerJ
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM

I never have. Never had the desire to. 'Course when I went to high school, it was only just starting to be used by some of the kids. I had to deal with far less temptation than do most kids today. As long as Okoye has stayed clean, not because of football, but out of respect for himself, I would have no porblem drafting him.

Bill Brasky
04-18-2007, 07:54 PM
i love the tizzy this country gets in over marijuana. it's comical.

BAM
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Nah not anymore. I used to burn all the time but haven't in many many moons.

gr8slayer
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Nah not anymore. I used to burn all the time but haven't in many many moons.
Good for you, you'll live longer.

BAM
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah man! No Cigs or Mary Jane. I'm all clean.

Except for that alcohol thing.

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Who hasn't smoked pot in their lifetime?

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
and trust me I am not a fan of weed or hippies either.

tampabay25690
04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I use to smoke pot too....But not just once......I guess I weill slip in the draft too...

mikemac2001
04-18-2007, 11:10 PM

What you have never made a mistake, Dude you act like your so perfect. they guy smoked weed at 16, he was a kid.

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Pot is no worse than boos really. Not sure why people make such a big deal about it.

mikemac2001
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
i dont do drugs, smoked weed couple times bc i was drunk and didnt really know...other time was to hook up with chick haha....But to be all worried that this kid smoked at 16 is a joke. i dont really want to draft him but this wont change my feelings and i doubt it changes anyones

SpanishBill
04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah man! No Cigs or Mary Jane. I'm all clean.

Except for that alcohol thing.
Then, you're not clean ;)

I live in southern Spain and we smoke A LOT around here, both Marijuana and Hash (mostly hash, as we are very close to Morocco), and I haven't seen anybody's live wasted by pot (if the guy just smokes and does not do other drugs), but I've seen many people's lives wasted b'cause of alcohol. Being legal does not make it better. Not saying that pot is good either.

Anyways, I don't think this is much of a deal. The guy graduated in college being 19 years old, AFAIK, so I really don't think the guy is a wasted pothead. Guy tasted it and now he knows the enemy.

In fact, I like him better now :D

Stewie
04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Good for you, you'll live longer.

Only because people who have never tried it keep it illegal.

If it was legal, Bam could eat it. And he would live just as long as everyone else.

DraftBoy
04-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Ive never done it either, and I know 100's of others who havent. The categorizations of people who have, who assume everybody does and most in a feeble attempt to justify their own use. If your going to smoke it do so, because you want to, and if you get caught or busted on then be a man about it. Dont use the "Well everybody else does it..." excuse, bc Im not buying that.

As for Okoye, I dont care that he smoked weed at 16, kid tried it and cant fault him for that, everybody makes their own decisions and we just hope that their decisions dont adversely affect their lives. I dont see Okoye's draft status being affected.

gr8slayer
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Ive never done it either, and I know 100's of others who havent. The categorizations of people who have, who assume everybody does and most in a feeble attempt to justify their own use. If your going to smoke it do so, because you want to, and if you get caught or busted on then be a man about it. Dont use the "Well everybody else does it..." excuse, bc Im not buying that.

As for Okoye, I dont care that he smoked weed at 16, kid tried it and cant fault him for that, everybody makes their own decisions and we just hope that their decisions dont adversely affect their lives. I dont see Okoye's draft status being affected.
It won't. Calvin Johnson also admitted to it, as did Gaines Adams.

But hey, at least they manned up and were honest.

Pinkerton Security
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM

I think the point is, at least in my town and every other town I have been in, is that more people than not use it. In my town, I'd make a guesstimate that 75% of the HS kids have used it. Therefore, I do not fault Okoye for trying, especially since he has the work ethic of a mule and is smart as a whip. The kid could've told me he smoked crack while having sex with a hooker in the middle of Broadway ONCE and I would want him on the team just as much.

Earthquake Enyart
04-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I only care if they tested positive at the combine.

Mr. Pink
04-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Honestly, what teen hasn't done the pot? Come on. Non-issue.

EDS
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Can't draft him now, he's no longer a Marv guy :rolleyes:

Okoye is one of the last guys in this draft that needs to have his character questioned. The dude should be an example to others for what he has achieved at such a young age.

Neggie Nancy
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
If I admit to using marijuana right now, will my BZ stock go down?

I hope Okoye goes before us, as it will drop a player thats more of a need to us.

DraftBoy
04-19-2007, 11:06 AM

I hope Okoye goes before us, as it will drop a player thats more of a need to us.

Not sure how much farther itcan drop really....

jk, :respect:

Earthquake Enyart
04-19-2007, 11:14 AM

It sure would explain a few things.

BAM
04-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Only because people who have never tried it keep it illegal.

If it was legal, Bam could eat it. And he would live just as long as everyone else.
I had to eat a rather large bag of it once. I'd actually prefer eating to smoking it!!

:dizzy:

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Sure most people don't smoke weed regularly. In fact I haven't in years and really was never a big fan of it to begin with(just made me tired really). I was just saying that most people I know have at least tried it. Not that far fetched man. If you have been to college there is at least a decent chance you have tried it once or twice, of course no guarantee of that though.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Honestly, what teen hasn't done the pot? Come on. Non-issue.
agreed.

Earthquake Enyart
04-19-2007, 11:56 AM
But if they test positive at the combine, it just shows that they are stupid.

DraftBoy
04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Sure most people don't smoke weed regularly. In fact I haven't in years and really was never a big fan of it to begin with(just made me tired really). I was just saying that most people I know have at least tried it. Not that far fetched man. If you have been to college there is at least a decent chance you have tried it once or twice, of course no guarantee of that though.

I continue to maintain that your generalization is incorrect. As a current college student I find that many people I know and hang out with do not and have not smoked weed. I think the mentality of "well everybody else does it..." Is actually somewhat far fetched. But alas this is not the Spin Zone, So...

Okoye did it, and now its behind him, anybody who would not draft him based on that is crazy.

Ickybaluky
04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Sure most people don't smoke weed regularly. In fact I haven't in years and really was never a big fan of it to begin with(just made me tired really).

And hungry?

I was just saying that most people I know have at least tried it. Not that far fetched man. If you have been to college there is at least a decent chance you have tried it once or twice, of course no guarantee of that though.

You are wrong. He should be put to death. That is the only suitable punishment.

ddaryl
04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Pot is no worse than boos really. Not sure why people make such a big deal about it.

if you mean booze... then I will tell you that booze does more damage longterm then pot. Those who smoke maybe a joint or 2 a day will be a lot better off then those who drink a 12 pack a day. Hard liquor is horrible on the body and a daily hard liqour drinker would definitely be in horrible shape long term in comparison to a mj smoker

People who smoke like 5 joints a day would see some more pronounced problems, but still not to the extent an alcoholic would see.

if you meant boos, well boos can really make you feel bad, and may make you angry and feel dejected which might cause psychologcal problems.

L.A. Playa
04-19-2007, 12:31 PM
im sure 99.9 % of the players in the NFL draft have smoked weed or drank before the legal age, does that mean none of them have charachter ??

ddaryl
04-19-2007, 12:32 PM
im sure 99.9 % of the players in the NFL draft have smoked weed or drank before the legal age, does that mean none of them have charachter ??

I think admitiing it ahead of time is actually a strong character attribute. Honestly should account for something.

Saratoga Slim
04-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I can't remember if I've already posted that I don't care yet? If I didn't, well, I don't care.

If he admitted that he's tried torturing people in his basement, or tried beating strippers at the clubs, or tried driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest, or tried domestic abuse, or even that he smokes pot on a frequent basis, then I'd be a little more concerned.

Everything I've read says he's smart and hardworking enough to graduate from Louisville with good grades and after 4 years of game experience in DI football at the age of 19. Trying pot a couple times isn't the type of character issue that's going to impact the organization or limit Okoye's effectiveness as a football player.

Luisito23
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Bout to roll a twinky soon...:drool:...Vanilla dutch...:shake:....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I continue to maintain that your generalization is incorrect. As a current college student I find that many people I know and hang out with do not and have not smoked weed. I think the mentality of "well everybody else does it..." Is actually somewhat far fetched. But alas this is not the Spin Zone, So...

Okoye did it, and now its behind him, anybody who would not draft him based on that is crazy.
I hear what you are saying, but you aren't trying to listen to me.

Cntrygal
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I haven't.

me either! :hi5:

evol4276
04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
lemme jus say that it is a lot harder nowadays (me only have graduated 2 years ago from highschool) to find kinds my age who HAVEN'T tried that at least once. I have, most of the people I know have, and that doesn't make me or most of them potheads. now yes he is going to become a pro, but come on, what do u expect from a kid who came from Africa and learn and experience new things in a new country? Im not saying thats an excuse but dont pass the kid along because of a mistake that MILLIONS of kids have at least tried. The kid admitted it and is a complete phenom and super-smart. Ill take those positives over that neg any day of the year

jamze132
04-20-2007, 03:06 AM
I haven't.
I have, more than once.