PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren disagrees with many here

X-Era
04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Holmgrens comment and I quote:

"If you believe you have a franchise player available at your pick, WHATEVER position it is, TAKE EM"

Thank god that we are getting proof for what Ive been saying.

Need is great, and should be considered, but is, BY NO MEANS, even the most important thing!

camelcowboy
04-18-2007, 10:14 PM

"If you believe you have a franchise player available at your pick, WHATEVER position it is, TAKE EM"

Need is great, and should be considered, but is, BY NO MEANS, even the most important thing!

last i checked Holmgren lost his title as gm :up:

Tatonka
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
so taking quinn would be smart, huh, jp?

jmb1099
04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
You cannot ignore need. We ignored need on the lines for years and it killed us. No thank you Mike Holmgren

alohabillsfan
04-19-2007, 04:50 AM
can't say I agree more... If Calvin Johnson is there at 12 we take him! :oops:

Tatonka
04-19-2007, 06:56 AM
you agree if it is a position of need.. wr is a position of need..

you guys would ****ing **** yourselves if we blew a first round pick on russell or quin because they were the "best available athlete".. or "franchise players"

X-Era
04-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Hey, Its an opinion shared by many.

NO had Duece yet drafted Reggie when they had other, more important needs. Thats one example.

The draft is a crapshoot, if you can get a great prospect, many say do it. Teams are too fluid these days with free agency, they change drastically almost every year. A seemingly needless pick becomes need quickly in this NFL landscape.

OpIv37
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM

that's true for good teams. It's not true for teams with as many needs as the Bills.

Saratoga Slim
04-19-2007, 08:55 AM
you agree if it is a position of need.. wr is a position of need..

you guys would ****ing **** yourselves if we blew a first round pick on russell or quin because they were the "best available athlete".. or "franchise players"

I think QB is a different story. If you already have a franchise QB you're happy with, you don't take another one. the Pats aren't going to take Jamarcus Russell even if he falls to the late 1st round. If you're going to take a guy who has the potential to be a "franchise player" you nonetheless have to be able to use him in the near future, and nobody rotates QBs. NO taking Reggie Bush when they already had Deuce is more I think what Holmgren is talking about, as they improved by being able to place two franchise quality players on the field at the same position (sometimes at the same time).

superbills
04-19-2007, 09:48 AM

That's the kind of thinking that got us in the McGahee mess. Donahoe ignored our more pressing needs on the lines and took a guy who was a top-flight prospect, not a need, and an injury risk. There are just as many top flight busts in the draft as there are top flight prospects. If the draft is a crap-shoot, then stick to your needs and roll the dice that way instead of trying to win the talent lottery on a position that's not a concern.

Earthquake Enyart
04-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Holmgren won the Super Bowl as a coach. He hasn't won the Super Bowl as a GM / Coach.

Stewie
04-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Isn't this the same holmgren who has taken falling "franchise" type players like Jerramy Stevens and Koren Robinson?