• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Interesting comments from Modrak on RB in the draft

He says theres 2 guys that are tops, Lynch and AP. He then says after that, the 1st round, theres a "hole". He goes on to say that theres quality, and probably guys that can be #2 RB's.

Lets play some logic here.

Its highly likely that we dont feel we have our starting RB yet. Thats why we wanted to trade for Turner.

If you add up the comments on only 1 guys being at the top, and then a hole after that, and then the rest may be #2's....

I get left with only 2 guys from this draft look to be starting quality RB's at this point, yes some can develop into that.

Now, if you add in the notion that we feel we need a starting RB...

You end up with us taking a RB in the 1st round, either Lynch or AP.

The other option is a trade, and thats a real possibility.

I think this plays out where we have our minds set on either Lynch or AP, and if we dont land either with our 1st round pick, we go and trade for a starting RB. I think thats the progression.

• don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: Interesting comments from Modrak on RB in the draft

One has to wonder if Marv was trying to give a message to AJ Smith with his comments about how he would be surprised if they traded for Turner because they have not even talked numbers with his agent.
    I could be wrong but I could see the Bills not wasting there time talking to Turner's agent until they were close in prinicipal on a potential trade to San Diego. If AJ said they are adamant about a 1st and 3rd and the Bills said no way and won't talk to the agent until San Diego lowers there demand. This may Marv's way of saying if you want to trade you need to lower your demand and then we need to talk to his agent so you better lower your demand soon or else no deal.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

You're leaving out the fact that they've said they would be willing to go into the season with A Train as our starter. That isn't neccesarily smoke. I could see Jauron doing that. This is why a 3rd rounder makes sense. AP isn't going to be there, and there's very little chance that Marv will take Lynch. I just don't see it...

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Assuming both AJ Smith and Marv Levy both mean what they say, there's going to be no Turner deal, not now, not ever. I admit I'm skeptical of Jauron's claim to be willing to go into the season with Anthony Thomas as the starter. He could, however, be willing to go into the season ready to do running back by committee, with Thomas as part of the committee. If that is the case, then the Bills are certainly not locked into Peterson/Lynch. There are a number of backs who could fit in a scenario like that, some of them who have feature back potential in the NFL. They just are not as much of a sure thing as Peterson/Lynch. Those I particularly like for that role include Anthony Pittman, Chris Henry, Jackie Battle and Michael Bush (if they are willing to lose some weight), and Brandon Jackson. I like Garrett Wolfe, but only as a Shaud Williams replacement.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• User Manuel
          The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
          • Nov 2003

I honestly believe that our starting RB next season will be one of these three unless A Peterson gets to us. I am not toally sold on any of them, but I could see them being available and at least in the first two, realatively cheap.

Julius Jones
          Lamont Jordan
          Michael Turner

Of course, I have been known to be wrong.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Lawesome97
            I honestly believe that our starting RB next season will be one of these three unless A Peterson gets to us. I am not toally sold on any of them, but I could see them being available and at least in the first two, realatively cheap.

Julius Jones
            Lamont Jordan
            Michael Turner

what leads you to believe Lamont Jordan will be available? I'm curious, I hadn't heard anything along those lines.

I'm not doing backflips over Julius Jones, but he might be more of a possibility than we're considering. If we could get it done for a 3rd, we'd at least have something of a proven commodity to start this year
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Anything can really happen at RB.. truthfully, Im all kinds of confused.

AP would take a miracle.. Lynch is ours IF we want him.

Jones or Turner are possibilities, though I think both unlikely, especially Turner.

Or of course, we could draft Pittman or Irons on day one, which truthfully I don't want to do.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                what leads you to believe Lamont Jordan will be available? I'm curious, I hadn't heard anything along those lines.
                Jordon was a rumored cut before FA started, but he took a pay cut and is unlikely to be traded now.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                  suck it fool.
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NE39
                  Jordon was a rumored cut before FA started, but he took a pay cut and is unlikely to be traded now.
                  so as of right now im seeing Jones and Jordan as likely tradable starting RB's.

Jordan and A-Train would be an interesting RBBC in my eyes.
                  Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Marv said he'd address running and stopping the run. While grabbing Walker addressed our Dt's and have yet to bare any results in stopping the run, he also partially addressed the run game by grabbing Dockery and co.

I'm sure MArv will address it but how and when?
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-20-2007, 09:22 AM.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                      You're leaving out the fact that they've said they would be willing to go into the season with A Train as our starter. That isn't neccesarily smoke. I could see Jauron doing that. This is why a 3rd rounder makes sense. AP isn't going to be there, and there's very little chance that Marv will take Lynch. I just don't see it...
                      Green Bay's GM also said they're comfortable going into the season with Noah Herron, Brandon Miree, and Vernand Morency at RB. Do you believe them?

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

I know this, If I was the GM and just spent a gobillion dollars on the offensive line I sure as hell want a starting RB to put behind it! If you spend that kind of money and throw A-Train and F. Jackson behind it and it fails you look ******ed.

We need a premier RB to reap the rewards of the improved O-line!
                        Marv is going Offense early in this draft, RB and WR

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          I know this, If I was the GM and just spent a gobillion dollars on the offensive line I sure as hell want a starting RB to put behind it! If you spend that kind of money and throw A-Train and F. Jackson behind it and it fails you look ******ed.

We need a premier RB to reap the rewards of the improved O-line!
                          Marv is going Offense early in this draft, RB and WR
                          So the what the hell is he going to do about our LB corps? let Coy ****in Wire play?

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

This is what Modrak had to say about Pittman at the same time he talked about Peterson and Lynch:

“We like him. He’s a strong runner. He’s a break tackle runner. He ran 4.4 at the combine which was a little surprising. He’s a 205 or 210 pound guy. He’s not that 235 (pound) break tackle runner, but he has that ability. He catches the ball well. He gives you a little bit of everything. If you put the check marks in the boxes he gets them all pretty good.”
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• User Manuel
                              The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Lawesome97

Julius Jones
                              Lamont Jordan
                              Michael Turner

I think he could become available. While not a bust hew hasn't been great there and I could see the Raiders moving him to pick up an extra pick.

His taking a pay cut actually makes him marketable.

If I had to guess Id say Jones is the most likely with Jordan being the darkhorse candidate.

Comment

Working...
                              X