PDA

View Full Version : Full Two-Round Mock:

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I really now believe there is no way Patrick Willis lands to the Bills' spot, particularly after the recent concerns of Alan Branch's shin splits (I was never convinced the 49ers would take a falling prospect over a fast rising one, anyway). While I would entertain trading away our second third to the Texans, who only have two first-day picks, to move ahead of San Francisco for Willis, I'll assume now that's not what the Bills are considering. And I am assuming for now that the Bills are reluctant to attempt to move to #6 (Washington's pick) for Peterson because they may have already allocated all the money they're willing to spend for draft picks. So here's my mock of the entire first two rounds taking both of those into account:

1st round:

1. Oakland: WR Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech)- QB or no QB when they make this pick, they're making this pick.

2. Detroit: OT Joe Thomas (Wisconsin)- Oakland's selection of C.J. eliminates most trade ongoing trade options.

3. Cleveland: QB JaMarcus Russell (LSU)

4. Tampa Bay: DT Amobi Okoye (Louisville)- Jon Gruden was enamored with Okoye at the Senior Bowl. While he'd rather have a shot at Johnson, he'll have no problem taking the 19-year old phenom.

5. Arizona: DE Gaines Adams (Clemson)- A discussion to move up to #2 for Thomas will at least take place. But Adams is good value here if not (and if he gets past the Bucs).

6. Washington: FS Laron Landry (LSU)

7. Minnesota: RB Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma)- Quinn or Peterson? Neither necessarily constitute needs, but Peterson is better value and it's obviously easier to play two RB's (Peterson and Taylor) than two QB's (Quinn and 2006 2nd-round selection, Tavaris Jackson).

8. Atlanta: OT Levi Brown (Penn State)

9. Miami: QB Brady Quinn (Notre Dame)- He cannot fall any further than ninth to Miami. Even if a trade for Trent Green is consummated, he is no long-term solution.

10. Houston: CB Leon Hall (Michigan)

11. San Francisco: MLB Patrick Willis (Ole Miss)

12. Buffalo: RB Marshawn Lynch (Cal)- So it comes full-circle. Lynch was in Buffalo on Wednesday for another visit and teams are acknowledging the character concerns were not corrobated by the facts, according to CNNSI's Don Banks. The Bills would rather Peterson miraculously fall to them or perhaps Willis over Lynch. But Lynch MUST (should, anyway) come before Posluszny.

13. St. Louis: DE Jamaal Anderson (Arkansas)

14. Carolina: FS Reggie Nelson (Florida)

15. Pittsburgh: DE Adam Carriker (Nebraska)

16. Green Bay: TE Greg Olsen (Miami)

17. Jacksonville: OLB Paul Posluszny (Penn State)

18. Cincinnati: DT Alan Branch (Michigan)- His freefall due to inconsistent production/effort and increasingly verifiable injury concerns ends at Cincinnati.

19. Tennessee: WR Robert Meachem (Tennessee)

20. New York Giants: CB Darrelle Revis (Pitt)

21. Denver: OT Joe Staley (Central Michigan)

22. Dallas: CB Chris Houston (Arkansas)

23. Kansas City: WR Dwayne Bowe (LSU)

24. New England: OLB/ILB Jon Beason (Miami)

25. New York Jets: DE/OLB Jarvis Moss (Florida)

26. Philadelphia: SS Michael Griffin (Texas)

27. New Orleans: CB Aaron Ross (Texas)

28. New England: S Brandon Meriweather (Miami)

29. Baltimore: DE/OLB Anthony Spencer (Purdue)

30. San Diego: WR Ted Ginn Jr. (Ohio State)- His own drop halts

31. Chicago: DT Justin Harrell (Tennessee)

32. Indianapolis: OLB Lawrence Timmons (Florida State)

2nd round:

33. Oakland: QB Trent Edwards (Stanford)
34. Detroit: CB Marcus McCauley (Fresno State)
35. Tampa Bay: WR Dwayne Jarrett (USC)
36. Cleveland: CB Eric Wright (UNLV)
37. Chicago: G Justin Blaylock (Texas)
38. Arizona: OT Tony Ugoh (Arkansas)
39. Atlanta: WR Sidney Rice (South Carolina)
40. Miami: OT/G Arron Sears (Tennessee)
41. Minnesota: G Ben Grubbs (Auburn)
42. San Francisco: WR Jason Hill (Washington State)
43. Buffalo: MLB David Harris (Michigan)
44. Atlanta: DE Charles Johnson (Georgia)
45. Carolina: TE Zach Miller (Arizona State)
46. Pittsburgh: C Ryan Kalil (USC)
47. Green Bay: RB Antonio Pittman (Ohio State)
48. Jacksonville: DE Victor Abiamiri (Notre Dame)
49. Cincinnati: OLB Justin Durant (Hampton)
50. Tennessee: RB Kenny Irons (Auburn)
51. New York Giants: WR Steve Smith (USC)
52. St. Louis: CB Tanard Jackson (Syracuse)
53. Dallas: DE/OLB Quinten Moses (Georgia)
54: Kansas City: OT Doug Free (Northern Illinois)
55. Seattle: DT Tank Tyler (North Carolina State)
56: Denver: DE/OLB Lamar Woodley (Michigan)
57: Philadelphia: FB/RB Brian Leonard (Rutgers)
58. New Orleans: DT Turk McBride (Tennessee)
59. New York Jets: WR Aundrae Allison (East Carolina)
60. Miami: S/DB Eric Weddle (Utah)
61. Baltimore: OT Ryan Harris (Notre Dame)
62. San Diego: S Josh Gattis (Wake Forest)
63. New York Jets: CB Daymeion Hughes (Cal)
64. Tampa Bay: CB Jonathan Wade (Tennessee)

Night Train
04-21-2007, 07:25 PM
If Lynch passed the character test, that would be a great draft all by itself. Even before Round 3 started.

Instant starters at RB and MLB.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 07:56 PM
If Lynch passed the character test, that would be a great draft all by itself. Even before Round 3 started.

Instant starters at RB and MLB.

I'm basing it off of comments I've heard from Adam Schefter and a comment Don Banks made in his latest mock yesterday. Banks had removed Lynch from the 1st-round altogether, but yesterday he included him again because the 'character concerns' checked out- almost everyone realizes by now that it isn't fair for Lynch's being shot at his sister's graduation because of a case of mistaken identity and the trumped-up but absolute unsubstantiated and likely fabricated sexual assault charge by an ex-girlfriend to be held against him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/20/mock.draft6.part2/index.html

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #666 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=554 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pick_a>16</TD><TD class=player_a>http://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/logos/packers_30.gif</TD><TD class=player>RB</TD><TD class=player_name>Marshawn Lynch</TD><TD class=player>California</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD><TD class=player>5-11</TD><TD class=weight>215</TD></TR><TR><TD class=analysis_a colSpan=8>We dropped Lynch out of this slot in our last mock, but he's back, because the rumors that there were concerns about some character issues don't seem to have amounted to much of anything. Though Green Bay could still opt for one of the highly rated receivers, this is where you have to guard against over-thinking the first round.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Devin
04-21-2007, 07:56 PM
meh.

Philagape
04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll take Beason/Poz and Pittman over Lynch and Harris.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
meh.

If we refuse to trade up for Peterson involving our 1st and 2nd and Willis isn't there, Lynch is the next pick- I certainly don't believe that Paul Posluszny is anywhere near #12 on our draft-board. For that matter, I'm not sure Lynch is- but I'm almost positive Posluszny is not. When you're picking twelvth, you have a chance to take a special player, not merely the solid one that Pos projects to in the pros. But here are three options to consider (that I hope the Bills consider):

1. Trade #12 and #43 to Washington for #6 if Peterson eludes Cleveland.

2. Trade #12 and #92 to move ahead of San Francisco to take Willis at #!0.

3. Draft Lynch

I'm fine with any of these, really. But taking Lynch does not have to involve other teams working with us, if they're even willing to; we can simply draft Lynch at twelve.

Philagape
04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
4. Trade down

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
4. Trade down

Obviously, I realize that's an option- I wasn't merely listing all options; I was just listing the three options that constitute my preference. Those are the three, the ones I listed.

Neggie Nancy
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Excellent post, and good analysis with the first round as well...

I dont think you made a single pick that can be considered a "total reach" either. Though nothing every plays out as expected, going in this is about as spot-on as I've seen.

I agree that CJ is going to Oakland as well. matter of fact, I agree with very realistically ALL of the first top 12 picks could be right on the money, even Okoye going as high as fourth.

I will not be the least bit unhappy if we end up with Lynch. I dont think we can nor will trade up for AP, as much as I'd love to see it happen.

To me, in this draft for day one LESS could be more. I think the very best Buffalo could hope for it to move up 2 spots (1st and late third) and get Patrick Willis, and then trade their second and other third and land Michael Turner. They'd only end up with two players on Day one; but NEITHER is just a role-player; they will both be STARS on this team, and we lack that.

Day two starting with the fourth round I'd simply take the best player across the board. RB and LB are by FAR are two biggest holes, and Willis and Turner will put an end to that real quick. That's called Quality over Quantity.. This team has more than enough "role players"

At any rate though, I dont think that's going to happen and if we stay at 12 and the top 11 play itself out like you suggested, then I think Lynch is our pick as well.

Good job.

You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on here to read.

camelcowboy
04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
4. Trade down hope not

Philagape
04-21-2007, 08:50 PM
hope not

why

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Excellent post, and good analysis with the first round as well...

I dont think you made a single pick that can be considered a "total reach" either. Though nothing every plays out as expected, going in this is about as spot-on as I've seen.

I agree that CJ is going to Oakland as well. matter of fact, I agree with very realistically ALL of the first top 12 picks could be right on the money, even Okoye going as high as fourth.

I will not be the least bit unhappy if we end up with Lynch. I dont think we can nor will trade up for AP, as much as I'd love to see it happen.

To me, in this draft for day one LESS could be more. I think the very best Buffalo could hope for it to move up 2 spots (1st and late third) and get Patrick Willis, and then trade their second and other third and land Michael Turner. They'd only end up with two players on Day one; but NEITHER is just a role-player; they will both be STARS on this team, and we lack that.

Day two starting with the fourth round I'd simply take the best player across the board. RB and LB are by FAR are two biggest holes, and Willis and Turner will put an end to that real quick. That's called Quality over Quantity.. This team has more than enough "role players"

At any rate though, I dont think that's going to happen and if we stay at 12 and the top 11 play itself out like you suggested, then I think Lynch is our pick as well.

Good job.

You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on here to read.

Thanks for the comments, man- it was the quality of posts around here, certainly yours included, that motivated me from moving from lurker status to poster, LOL.

A couple of comments- I'm sure we would be roundly criticized by the ESPN douches if we decided to use the late 3rd via McGahee in order to trade up to #10 for Willis because none of them associate Patrick Willis with the 49ers. But San Francisco's coaches were particularly impressed with him at the Senior Bowl, his stock is rising exponentially (at this point, he's at least a top-ten talent, even if he doesn't go there), and the 49ers have to be souring on Alan Branch. If it comes down to Carriker vs. Willis, I think they'd take Willis- they can assemble two better DE's for the 3-4 (Bryant Young and Aubrayo Franklin right now- many mocks insist that Franklin won't continue to play DT but may move to RDE, even at 320 pounds, and the 49ers will look for another NT) than they can two adequate inside linebackers (Derek Smith and Jeff Ulbrich just plainly suck).

Anyway, I would not mind at all if the Bills made sure they didn't find themselves up **** creek without a paddle, which Willis gone at eleven and Posluszny the player left to consider, would amount to. And if we're not willing to take Lynch at twelve and can't trade down, man, that's the worst scenario I can conceive of.

camelcowboy
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I'll take Beason/Poz and Pittman over Lynch and Harris. Lynch and trade up for beason, Poz and Pittman are garbage. I still wonder if harris can cover enough space to be a good c2 backer.

Philagape
04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Obviously, I realize that's an option- I wasn't merely listing all options; I was just listing the three options that constitute my preference. Those are the three, the ones I listed.

BTW, even though I disagree, it was very well written

camelcowboy
04-21-2007, 09:15 PM
why Running back by commitee(Pittman), linebackers who have no potential to get better(poz) Stay at twelve get a starting quality player(lynch)(Revis) or maybe trade up if needed to get a stud which this team needs (Peterson)(Willis) which may actually put fans butts in the seats.

Philagape
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Running back by commitee(Pittman), linebackers who have no potential to get better(poz) Stay at twelve get a starting quality player(lynch)(Revis) or maybe trade up if needed to get a stud which this team needs (Peterson)(Willis) which may actually put fans butts in the seats.

I'd rather have RB by committee than LB by committee, which it would be with a second-rounder or lower. And I'm not of the mentality that we need stars to sell tickets ... winning will do that.
Trading up for Willis I can see, but I'd really be concerned about LB if we sacrifice there. (And I'm setting aside disagreement about certain prospects)

camelcowboy
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd rather have RB by committee than LB by committee, which it would be with a second-rounder or lower. And I'm not of the mentality that we need stars to sell tickets ... winning will do that.
Trading up for Willis I can see, but I'd really be concerned about LB if we sacrifice there. (And I'm setting aside disagreement about certain prospects)

Well i look at the linebacking class as Willis and then everyone else. I see very little drop off between the late round one backers and 3RD linebackers like Rufus Alexander, and Quincy Black. So i agree if you trade up for Willis even two spots you can probally get him. I wouldn't mind them trading up for AP, and drafting the best available Lb at 74. Or trade back up into round two for a backer.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
BTW, even though I disagree, it was very well written

Thanks, phil...

:squish:

SquishDaFish
04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Awesome draft

B-DON
04-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I heard the niners were in love with carriker from Nebraska. I think willis will still be around

Al13
04-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Love your picks for miami :up:

ShadowHawk7
04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Lynch and trade up for beason, Poz and Pittman are garbage. I still wonder if harris can cover enough space to be a good c2 backer.
How exactly are we going to trade up for Beason CamelBoy? That is COMPLETELY unrealistic considering he's slotted to go around pick 21, and we'd have to trade up from 42. Do you realize how much we'd have to throw in??

Also, what makes you think Pittman or even Poz is garbage? Pittman is the 3rd best back in the draft in terms of starting potential. No offense, but that was a pretty lousy post.

Personally I'd be very happy if we got either Beason/Pittman or Lynch/Harris: Two immediate starters at our largest needs. Doesn't get any better than that.