PDA

View Full Version : This is the crap that is not needed in hockey - Det v Cal gets ugly

Ebenezer
04-21-2007, 10:46 PM
This is the premeditated crap that doesn't belong in hockey. You want to play tough - fine. You want to hit hard - fine. You want to send a message - fine. Tough hockey leads to fights, no doubt. But, you want to "send a message" and start fights simply because you got your ass handed to you?? Over the line.

"It was really about getting some fights going at that point to keep our energy up and carry some anger into the next game," Iginla said with several new stitches over his left eye. "We're not going away."

And Calgary has no ***** about penalties...at one point they had seven power plays and Detroit only had two. The Flames back-up goalie Jamie McClennen played all of 28 frikkin seconds after a premeditated slash to Johan Franzen. That's just crap, imo.

Discuss.

Red Wings grab four-goal win and 3-2 series lead

Associated Press
DETROIT -- The Calgary Flames aren't going down without a fight.

Daniel Cleary converted the first successful penalty shot ever in Detroit during the playoffs and Henrik Zetterberg had two goals and an assist in the Red Wings' 5-1 victory over Calgary on Saturday.

When the Flames knew they'd fall behind 3-2 in the first-round series, they weren't satisfied with just some scrums and trash talk.

The lopsided game took an ugly turn with a few minutes left when Calgary backup goalie Jamie McLennan slashed Johan Franzen in the midsection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270421005

YardRat
04-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Would you consider Lindy 'over the line' for retaliating against the Drury cheapshot?

chernobylwraiths
04-22-2007, 06:50 AM
I saw the last couple minutes and did not understand what all the fuss was about. Sure Calgary was trying to start crap, but it wasn't ANY worse than what I have seen in other games. I missed the slash by the goalie, but from what I understand, Detroit has been skating in Calgary's crease all series. Holmstrom makes a living out of being in the other team's crease so I don't feel at all sorry for Detroit. On top of all that, one of the chief antagonists was Jerome Iginla, not some goon.

Sure you would like to see a little more sportsmanship at the end of the game like that, but it will take years to get that out and you have to get that kind of mentality out of the game as well. It would also help if the officials decided to call penalties when they see it is starting to get out of hand. Evidence Hunter punching Stafford a couple of times in the back of the head right in front of the referee midway through the third period Friday. Stafford probably could have gotten a penalty for interference as well, but the official saw everything and did absolutely nothing.

Mitchy moo
04-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Sending a message is what makes hockey great and other sports seem weak by comparison. What sport can you actually fight in and just receive a 5 minute penalty? Hockey is for men and anyone who questions being physically ready for an altercation needs to have their purse checked at the door.

Typ0
04-22-2007, 07:27 AM
fighting is not required to play good hockey...as a matter of fact it does nothing but impede good hockey. The day the NHL sees the light and takes fighting out of the game is the day the league will take a big step forward towards becoming a main stream sport again instead of something on the fringe.

JD
04-22-2007, 10:41 AM
No wonder hardly anyone likes hockey..its disgusting.

The NHL needs to call an emergency meeting of ALL PLAYERS to Toronto or they face hefty fines. Bettman and his butt buddies need to FLIP THE **** OUT to get the point across. These players market the NHL to the world and what they do on&off the ice affects how people view Hockey as a whole.

This is barbaric..unbelievable.

I seen the slash to the guys midsection and flipped out..I cant believe this kind of ****!!

Did you see the one Calgary player get his knee taken out by a late "hip check" the Detroit player intentionally went for his knee and you could just see it bend awkwardly.

I've never seen so many players taken off the ice on stretchers in one year.
Disgusting.

YardRat
04-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I like the fighting. They need to clamp down on the cheap shots.

JD
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Fighting needs to stay. Cheap shots must go.

RockStar36
04-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I like the fighting. They need to clamp down on the cheap shots.

Did you see the Calgary game yesterday? I saw at least two cheapshots that deserve suspensions with one of them not being called.

I agree, fighting is fine but the cheapshots need to go.

SABURZFAN
04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
at the very least,McClennen should be gone for the rest of the playoffs and all of next year.send a statement that this crap will not be tolerated.

pyrrhonist
04-22-2007, 12:26 PM
If only the Flames could show the same passion at playing a complete game as they do at roughing the Wings up, they might be up in this series. :shake:

Buffalo Sabres
04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Would you consider Lindy 'over the line' for retaliating against the Drury cheapshot?only if we actually went after one of thier star players.