PDA

View Full Version : CB Importance in Tampa 2

realdealryan
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

LEN MAKES A GOOD POINT ON TAMPA 2 CORNERS

Specifically, Pasquarelli's piece regarding the Colts' disinclination to match the offer sheet (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2844100) that cornerback Jason David signed with the Saints is drawing nods of approval in league and media circles.

... cornerbacks don't have the same value in the Tampa 2 system that they possess in other defensive schemes...

PFT referencing an Pasquarelli article about the Colts disinclination to match Jason David's offer sheet from the Saints. The Colts don't retain either of their starting corners and it's a good move because it's the least valuable position. The Bills lose Nate Clements and 80% of the football world thinks our franchise has taken 12 steps back. I guess if you are 7-9 you don't draw a lot of nods in league or media circles.

Devin
04-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Nice post.

I tend to believe that a lot of it has to do with the amount of starters we lost. Least I hope. Im not sure how else you justify it being ok to let a starting cb (albeit an average one) go because you cant/wont match 15 mil. But its completley horrible all around to let a guy go to someone who wants to pay him 80 mil.

:rolleyes:

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if I have been saying the same thing about corners in the type of defense for the past year.:scratch:

Mr. Pink
04-22-2007, 02:42 PM
It has to do with the Colts being a good franchise and us being a mediocre franchise. Around the league media outlets pay attention to the Colts but don't give two shakes about us. They just see we lost BIG NAME, not necessarily big production, players and think it's the end of the world. Oh no, the Bills will suck because they lost big names!

Would I have liked any of our big names to stay? Obviously. But two of them clearly wanted out and Spikes, well he shoulda been cut last year, he also should have shown a little more class and gratitude that we kept him around at the same salary for nowhere near the same player he used to be. Would I have kept either London or Clements for what they got in the market? Probably not. Veteran leadership is great, but at what price?

You have no idea the disdain and almost outright hatred I have for Spikes after what this organization did for him. I've never wished anything bad on anyone but I hope he stinks up the joint in Philly and they all boo him, hell they booed Santa Claus, so I can see him getting booed.

gr8slayer
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
It's common sense that the Cover 2 Zone does not require all-stars. What's so hard to understand about that?

mikemac2001
04-22-2007, 03:30 PM
It's common sense that the Cover 2 Zone does not require all-stars. What's so hard to understand about that?

Cover 2 in madden sucks

realdealryan
04-22-2007, 03:53 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="yspsctnhdln">Free agency winners and losers
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="7"><spacer type="block" height="1" width="1"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> By Jason Cole (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/expertsarchive?author=Jason+Cole), Yahoo! Sports
March 26, 2007

LOSERS

Buffalo Bills
"Sometimes you just have to wonder what teams are thinking...top defenders such as cornerback Nate Clements (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5468/) are gone...a big pinch on impact players with really nothing in return..."

I don't think it's a hard concept to grasp. Others are having a harder time with it.

casdhf
04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
The Colts were a joke for about 15 years.

lordofgun
04-22-2007, 06:30 PM
It has to do with the Colts being a good franchise and us being a mediocre franchise.

Take away Peyton Manning, and the Colts are perennially 6-10.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Any coach in the right mind would rather have a Nate Clements playing corner, cover 2 or not.

I tend to side with those national media until the Bills prove otherwise in September. Nate Clements gave the Jauron & Co. great flexibility last year. To my eyes, Nate played not so much cover 2 in the second half. In light of the McGee's struggle and the two rookies starting at safeties, the Bills allowed Nate to play a lot of one-on-one and rolled coverage McGees' way.

This year, they'll stay more true to cover 2. A year of cover 2 experience for the secondary helps, but also we don't have Nate any more. The transition of coverage from corners to safeties will be critical.

Tony Dungy once said the further away a defender from the ball, the less he is paid. That's true if you have Rice, Sapp, or Freeney rushing the passers. But the Bills don't have such a dominant pass rusher. That's why critics are continuing to doubt the Bills and the Bills are continually adding pass rushing DTs.

Don't Panic
04-23-2007, 04:03 AM
Some people are never going to get this point. Unfortunately, some of those people actually draw a paycheck for their opinion about football.

jamze132
04-23-2007, 07:22 AM
It's the way it is because thats the way ESPN wants it. Every person who has no clue about sports watches ESPN everyday and listens to Mel ****in' Kiper and they think of him as Jesus or something. Mel ****in' Kiper couldn't name 5 people on our roster if he was asked. Mel ****in' Kiper never played football at any type of organized level and Mel ****in' Kiper doesn't know his head from his own ass.

But everyone seems to think that what Kiper says is the way it whould be and the draft doesn't go according to Kiper's plan, then that team just lain out blew it.

I have no idea why he is employed by ESPN, but I guess I just answered my own question.