PDA

View Full Version : If Marv wasn't the great HC he was

Bling
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I believe you guys would absolutely despise him. His GM resume hasn't exactly be superb. He's committed many questionable calls. If you guys don't make the playoffs, it's time to go after Marv, not Dick Jauron.

YardRat
04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Marv will get year three...He's still on the honeymoon.

Scumbag College
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Marv had to undo and remedy alot of damage done by the previous regime. I like the way the team's going, the only player lost this year that will be missed is Clements. If Whitner continues to improve and McCargo can come through this year, Marv's first draft might well be one of the best in Bills' history.

G. Host
04-22-2007, 05:15 PM
He/they found a lot of good players in later rounds. One top pick was injured and another had a death in family; both may pay out.

gr8slayer
04-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey it could be worse. We could be the Dolphins.

Mitchy moo
04-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey it could be worse. We could be the Dolphins.

or still have MM in our coaching ranks somewhere.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I speak for the very few that doesn't think Marv does the "GM duties". I think Marv is there because he is so respected by the organization and the fans and the people that he is surrounded by do the leg work. I think Marv is in the discussions and might even tell everyone what they are doing, but in the end, I believe Marv is there as a safe GM for Ralph and to be a face for the franchise and it's fans to lock onto.

gr8slayer
04-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I speak for the very few that doesn't think Marv does the "GM duties". I think Marv is there because he is so respected by the organization and the fans and the people that he is surrounded by do the leg work. I think Marv is in the discussions and might even tell everyone what they are doing, but in the end, I believe Marv is there as a safe GM for Ralph and to be a face for the franchise and it's fans to lock onto.
Well hopefully he puts his face into making Evans a rich man very soon.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Well hopefully he puts his face into making Evans a rich man very soon.

I also don't believe Marv has anything to do with the contracts and money so my theory doesn't help you. Maybe Jim Overdorf or whoever does the salary cap/money would be the one to make Lee Evans a rich man.

Bling
04-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Sounds about right. Don't you guys still have that #2 guy? Like Tom Modrak or something?

HHURRICANE
04-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I think Marv has done an excellent job. It's alot easier to get 500HP out of an 8 cylinder motor than it is by adding tons of modifications onto a 6 cylinder. Marv wanted a solid foundation instead of trying to build around the leftovers.

Yeah, we could have kept Fletcher, Spikes and McGahee. Guess what? We would still be drafting a LB and a RB in the first 2 rounds. The difference is we got 4 picks out of it.

Nobody on our team has been super except for Peters, Moorman, and Evans. Time to bring in players that can produce.

One more point. Marv had the balls to get rid of players that he brought in. Something that TD never had the balls to do. That's the sign of a winner.

Bling
04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
One more point. Marv had the balls to get rid of players that he brought in. Something that TD never had the balls to do. That's the sign of a winner.

Who did he bring in, and let go?

HHURRICANE
04-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Reyes, Bowen.

G. Host
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
S Matt Bowen anf G Tutan Reyes for two.

YardRat
04-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Tuten Reyes and Matt Bowen.

Bling
04-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Reyes, Bowen.

I'll give him props for that. I remember the years Miami dreaded having Jay Fiedler, James McKnight, Randy McMichael.

Dr. Lecter
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I believe you guys would absolutely despise him. His GM resume hasn't exactly be superb. He's committed many questionable calls. If you guys don't make the playoffs, it's time to go after Marv, not Dick Jauron.

He also does not have a bad record.

HHURRICANE
04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Since when did Marv get on the hot seat. Our '06 draft turned out to be one of the best of any teams and Dick Jauron, who Marv hired, did an excellent job.

So far in 2007 he legitimized the O-line and acquired 4 draft picks and a starting DT.

Everyone knew that we were letting Clements walk, and not re-signing Fletcher.

The shocks, if you want to call them that were Spikes and McGahee. Spikes has been a non-entity for 2 years so what are missing? That leaves Willis. If we do not address this with Turner or a legitimate starter in the draft than he deserves some criticism.

So basically you are saying that Marv's job is in jeapordy over Willis McGahee?

Dozerdog
04-22-2007, 07:56 PM

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....HA....HAHAHA.. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH......

jpdex12
04-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Matt Millen must be just like Marv then? Get out of jail free pass or maybe more like a cat with nine lives?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Matt Millen must be just like Marv then? Get out of jail free pass or maybe more like a cat with nine lives?

What the hell are you trying to spill now?

Statman
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Marv will get year three...He's still on the honeymoon.
Marv has this draft and this season. If most of his picks from last year don't step up and we don't produce any immediate impact players from this draft, then he may get a third year, but it's not gonna be because anyone believes he can get it done.

This hole we've dug is getting bigger, not smaller.

Levy has merely begun finishing what Donahoe started.

Another questionable draft on Saturday, forget about Sunday, and the talk is already gonna be about Levy needing to go.

Michael82
04-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Marv has this draft and this season. If most of his picks from last year don't step up and we don't produce any immediate impact players from this draft, then he may get a third year, but it's not gonna be because anyone believes he can get it done.

Another questionable draft on Saturday, forget about Sunday, and the talk is already gonna be about Levy needing to go.
ANOTHER questionable draft? :rofl:

What draft did you watch in 2006? :scratch:

HHURRICANE
04-23-2007, 08:17 AM

I didn't necessarily love the McCargo move but all in all it was a very, very, good draft.

If we had just played Simpson and Whitner I would have given it high marks. Look at all the guys who started.

Do you rememeber the 2005 draft? Maybe one of the worst I have ever seen.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2007, 08:26 AM
ANOTHER questionable draft? :rofl:

What draft did you watch in 2006? :scratch:

What Mikey said.

How was last year's draft questionable?

Knock his FA's. But bashing last year's draft is *****ing about anything and everything they have done.

Statman
04-23-2007, 10:48 AM
LOL

Day One:

McCargo: Did nothing while on the field, suffered recurrent injury. A++ I realize in your all's books.

Whitner: Considered a reach; provided starting play but far from impact play on one of the league's worst defenses and pass defenses. Far from great in coverage. Again, I realize A++ in your all's books.

Youboty: Now here's where we saw some real value. AY played in what, three maybe, games and purely as a backup. I realize that since his father died that translates into "he's an all-pro just waiting to blossom." Once again, A++.

That was day one last year turning four picks into three. A+++

Ellison: Backup caliber play; showed nothing as a starter.

Williams: Backup caliber play; Oh wait, he did lead us to one of the bottom four or five Ds in the league, so I may have to revise that to his being a future all-pro.

Pennington: Replaced by the same people that brought you last year's draft. Replaced by the way by a buy that couldn't find his way to starting for four seasons but then finally proved all of his former coaches dumb for not starting him sooner so that he could allow 11 sacks from the RT spot.

Simpson: The only decent value pick in the entire draft.

So I see your guys' points. Great draft. I don't understand how anyone could possibly be critical with all of those future all-pros looming.

And to boot, I didn't even mention the spectacular rookie seasons that Aaron Merz and Brad Butler, who was supposed to be a real steal in the 5th were. Clearly the team doesn't know what it's doing replacing a phenominal player like Butler with a 7th rounder. Butler has so much upside.

I really wish I could think like you guys. Do ya ever stop to consider all the times that you've been entirely wrong on players that our supposed "experts" and professional football managers brought on?

Bledsoe, McGahee, Milloy, Vincent, Price, Lawrence Smith, Ross Tucker, Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Roscoe Parrish, Duke Preston, Tim Anderson, Tim Euhus, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Andre Davis, Larry Tripplett, Kelly Holcomb, Chris Villarrial, Sam Adams, Ben Sobieski, Olandis Gary, Keith McKenzie, Charles Johnson, Jeff Posey, Justin Bannan, Trey Teague, Chris Watson, Marcus Price...

My fingers are getting cramped.

For many of those guys you guys were spoon fed, quite happily I might add, the same hype. It tasted good going down but left you with a terrible after taste. Yet, here you are, opening up wide for very similar kinds of players.

OK, so Dockery is one decent player that we've brought on in five or more seasons. But did we really have to pay twice what we had to or should have for him?

You will keep going through your girations because by the time you are once again proven wrong all of your bold predictions will be long burried in the message board forums.

I'll gladly issue a challenge however. Let's each make our very detailed predictions for this seasons on the aforementioned players, largely last year's draftees, and see who's closer to reality by the New Year?

Will you do that? Or are you afraid to post detailed player and team predictions in print for the world to see?

Statman
04-23-2007, 10:49 AM
What Mikey said.

How was last year's draft questionable?

Knock his FA's. But bashing last year's draft is *****ing about anything and everything they have done.
Yeah, what he said!

LOL

;)

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
1. Drafts are not fully evaluated after year 1.
2. Simpson the only good value pick? Ellison was one of the better 6th round picks inthe league. Even if he only develops into a back-up (And he looked decent for a rookie starter) thatis good value.
3. Same for Kyle Williams. He did not lead the defense, but was one showed potential on the D-line.
4. Have you ever had any positive thoughts on this team? They might not be great next year, but they are improving. They had a draft with numerous contributors.

Nobody is saying the draft was perfect. But for God's sake, it was not an F draft either. Ripping Butler, Merz or Pennington after one year is silly. How good was Ritcher his rookie year? Or Ballard? Or Hull? Hell, Kelly and Hull led the Bills to 4-12 record after one year.

I guess, using the one year theory they both should have been given up on.

And how bad was the defense in Bruce's rookie year?

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
One final note: The Bills scoring defense was 10th in the NFL. If the running game improves, it should help the defense.

What is more imortant: Yards or scoring? Or is that something that is not to be considered?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-SCORING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=3&_3:col_1=3

Michael82
04-23-2007, 12:22 PM
1. Drafts are not fully evaluated after year 1.
2. Simpson the only good value pick? Ellison was one of the better 6th round picks inthe league. Even if he only develops into a back-up (And he looked decent for a rookie starter) thatis good value.
3. Same for Kyle Williams. He did not lead the defense, but was one showed potential on the D-line.
4. Have you ever had any positive thoughts on this team? They might not be great next year, but they are improving. They had a draft with numerous contributors.

Nobody is saying the draft was perfect. But for God's sake, it was not an F draft either. Ripping Butler, Merz or Pennington after one year is silly. How good was Ritcher his rookie year? Or Ballard? Or Hull? Hell, Kelly and Hull led the Bills to 4-12 record after one year.

I guess, using the one year theory they both should have been given up on.

And how bad was the defense in Bruce's rookie year?
:bf1:

justasportsfan
04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey it could be worse. We could be the Dolphins.:laughing:

Mr. Pink
04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
One final note: The Bills scoring defense was 10th in the NFL. If the running game improves, it should help the defense.

What is more imortant: Yards or scoring? Or is that something that is not to be considered?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-SCORING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=3&_3:col_1=3

You know I really hate being nice about what the Bills do, when I see so many things wrong, but this is the biggest upside of everything of our defense.

We play a Cover 2. Cover 2 is designed to be bend but don't break. I personally think we went Cover 2 because we don't have the talent to match up heads up with many of the teams in this league. Either way it doesn't matter, it pretty much did what it was supposed to.

10th in points allowed is NOTHING to sneeze at. Of course, you're gonna give up yards, that is what the system dictates. The system also dictates you clamp down in the red zone holding teams to FGs or generating turnovers as opposed to giving up TDs. 10th is points allowed shows we did a good job of that.

Another year of these players learning the system is a good thing. Yes, I'd like to fix our pathetic rush defense. I think if teams were smart against us they would throw only about 25% of the time and would probably do a much better job against us, but the NFL dictates passing and scoring to be "fan friendly" on the whole. It's how guys like T.O. get glamorized. Or why guys like Michael Vick get mocked. He's not the prototypical NFL pass happy QB, but you know what, who cares? Outside of last year, when he was on the field the Falcons won ballgames and he sure as hell put butts in the seats. Same goes for VY so far.

Now, here comes the real question to this season, or series of questions. Will replacing Fletcher with Crowell and Crowell with (unknown) make us slip a bit or will we stay at the same level? Will the loss of Clements hurt us against the pass? Will Larry Tripplett show up this year? Can Chris Kelsay earn some of his over-inflated contract? Will our second year safeties step up further? Will McCargo buck the odds and actually stay healthy? And will Ashton Youboty show why he was such a "good value" pick?

I have no worries about us in pass coverage, we do generate a decent pass rush and our safeties, while young, looked very good last year. Another year in the system is only going to help them get that much better. What scares the bejesus out of me is if teams start skewing more towards running the ball against us. We could be in some serious trouble if teams run 60% of the time vs our pathetic rush D. I'm not too overly concerned about this due to the reason I stated that the NFL has turned into a pass-happy type of league.

I do think we're going to have to take a step back this year in order to take 2 steps forward next year, but it's part of the growing process of everything. And yes, I know that other teams have turned it around in less than a year, however judging by our roster that is just not a realistic expectation.

justasportsfan
04-23-2007, 01:10 PM
LOL

Day One:

McCargo: Did nothing while on the field, suffered recurrent injury. A++ I realize in your all's books.

Whitner: Considered a reach; provided starting play but far from impact play on one of the league's worst defenses and pass defenses. Far from great in coverage. Again, I realize A++ in your all's books.

Youboty: Now here's where we saw some real value. AY played in what, three maybe, games and purely as a backup. I realize that since his father died that translates into "he's an all-pro just waiting to blossom." Once again, A++.

That was day one last year turning four picks into three. A+++

Ellison: Backup caliber play; showed nothing as a starter.

Williams: Backup caliber play; Oh wait, he did lead us to one of the bottom four or five Ds in the league, so I may have to revise that to his being a future all-pro.

Pennington: Replaced by the same people that brought you last year's draft. Replaced by the way by a buy that couldn't find his way to starting for four seasons but then finally proved all of his former coaches dumb for not starting him sooner so that he could allow 11 sacks from the RT spot.

Simpson: The only decent value pick in the entire draft.

So I see your guys' points. Great draft. I don't understand how anyone could possibly be critical with all of those future all-pros looming.

And to boot, I didn't even mention the spectacular rookie seasons that Aaron Merz and Brad Butler, who was supposed to be a real steal in the 5th were. Clearly the team doesn't know what it's doing replacing a phenominal player like Butler with a 7th rounder. Butler has so much upside.

I really wish I could think like you guys. Do ya ever stop to consider all the times that you've been entirely wrong on players that our supposed "experts" and professional football managers brought on?

Bledsoe, McGahee, Milloy, Vincent, Price, Lawrence Smith, Ross Tucker, Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Roscoe Parrish, Duke Preston, Tim Anderson, Tim Euhus, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Andre Davis, Larry Tripplett, Kelly Holcomb, Chris Villarrial, Sam Adams, Ben Sobieski, Olandis Gary, Keith McKenzie, Charles Johnson, Jeff Posey, Justin Bannan, Trey Teague, Chris Watson, Marcus Price...

My fingers are getting cramped.

For many of those guys you guys were spoon fed, quite happily I might add, the same hype. It tasted good going down but left you with a terrible after taste. Yet, here you are, opening up wide for very similar kinds of players.

OK, so Dockery is one decent player that we've brought on in five or more seasons. But did we really have to pay twice what we had to or should have for him?

You will keep going through your girations because by the time you are once again proven wrong all of your bold predictions will be long burried in the message board forums.

I'll gladly issue a challenge however. Let's each make our very detailed predictions for this seasons on the aforementioned players, largely last year's draftees, and see who's closer to reality by the New Year?

Will you do that? Or are you afraid to post detailed player and team predictions in print for the world to see?

the guys you are talking about from last years draft had only 1 year. You thought Rob Johnson was the answer at qb even after he left. So tell me, why should I even bother reading your assessment of last years draft picks?

Gunzlingr
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
the guys you are talking about from last years draft had only 1 year. You thought Rob Johnson was the answer at qb even after he left. So tell me, why should I even bother reading your assessment of last years draft picks?
'
There really is no point in reading them. I read them all back in 2002, only the names were a little different then.

SABURZFAN
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM

many questionable calls,eh?

name them all.........