PDA

View Full Version : The Draft and the Season – Surprises Abound

Don't Panic
04-23-2007, 03:58 AM
http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/bogyo/2007/draftpre.shtml

On another note, I can confirm that hope is alive and well in Buffalo and throughout the legions of Bills fans worldwide. After a 7 year playoff drought, and constant promises of being a playoff contender next year, many fans are expecting good things. Sure, the Bills lost two starting linebackers, their #1 cornerback and primary running back without acquiring any replacements (can I remind everyone that the Bills only have 1 first round pick?) and the Bills seemingly have one of the most difficult schedules in the league, but hope spring eternal when you’re a Bills fan. Perhaps people are just too caught up in the Sabres success or too used to thinking greatness is just around the corner to realize that at this point in the year the Bills are a weaker team than they were when the season ended (with a losing 7-9 record, I might add), but rose colored glasses seem to be the style. A recent unscientific poll shows a whopping 79% of polled fans feel the Bills will improve upon their win record from last year and nearly two thirds predict a winning record. A full 37% feel that the Bills are a team that will post double-digit wins.
I enjoy the team spirit and a never-say-die attitude that are so prevalent in Bills fans, but to think this is our year is absolutely crazy. Sure, anything can happen on any given Sunday, but to think there are 10 or more happy Mondays in your Fall future is on par with thinking you’re a shoo-in to win Powerball because you bought $100 worth of tickets rather than the $1 pick your stupid brother-in-law bought – it just doesn’t make sense to me (note to self – remember to hide this article and suck up to your brother-in-law if he hits the big one).
I’m sure I’ll get hate mail and people will question my credentials as a fan for not predicting a 16-0 season, but I’m just not drinking that Kool-Aid. The Bills are a team with lots of holes and lots of young players. I think that if they have another solid draft they will be well positioned for the future, but they won’t be contenders this season (and it pains me to say that – I live in New England). Yet again, this year’s mantra will be “wait ‘till next year”.

Night Train
04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Tony Boygo ? ( crickets sound in background ) <CRICKETS>

Mad Bomber
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Tony Boygo ? ( crickets sound in background ) <CRICKETS>

That's Bogyo. (crickets sound in background)

OpIv37
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
he's blunt but he has a point.

OpIv37
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sick of hearing how everything's OK because we have another year in the system and Kyle Williams gained 12 pounds.

!Papacrunk!
04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Expectations. It can be a fun time, but extremely stressful and depressing if those aren't met.

*COUGH*