PDA

View Full Version : Trade up, Buffalo? Only for Peterson

Don't Panic
04-23-2007, 04:01 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills-tradeup-onlyforpeterson230407.html

Peterson is actually so good that teams not even in need of a RB might look to him anyway. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder, who battled freak injuries during his three-year career with the Sooners, could actually go as high as the second pick. Detroit (No. 2), Cleveland (three), Tampa Bay (four), Arizona (five), Houston (eight), Miami (nine) and Atlanta (10) could all be in the running for the 22-year-old.
On the well-known draft value chart, the No. 6 choice is worth 1,600 points. Buffalo's 12th, meanwhile, is good for 1,200. The Bills then have the 43rd pick overall, their second-rounder, which accumulates 470 points in its own right. Even those who aren't the most adept mathematicians can add 1,200 and 470, which is 1,670. That would technically mean Washington would get more than fair value by sending No. 6 to the Bills for 12 and 43, but only if the two teams want it to happen.

I still say the odds are slim to none, but its good to dream.

clumping platelets
04-23-2007, 05:33 AM
I doubt the Bills trade up because of the $$$ angle.............

Night Train
04-23-2007, 05:34 AM
A Peterson trade as mentioned means no more picks until Round 3. Is he that much better than Turner, who wouldn't cost us a 1st and 2nd ? Asking.

Neggie Nancy
04-23-2007, 05:39 AM
I doubt the Bills trade up because of the $$$ angle.............
Thank you.

Someone finally brings up the subject of not just if its a good move to improve the team on the field; but the fact that the sixth pick would cost Wilson a pile of cash. Biggest reason why I dont think we trade up that high for Peterson, even if we were able to rob Washington.

Don't Panic
04-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Is he that much better than Turner, who wouldn't cost us a 1st and 2nd ?

Tough to justify a 1st and a 2nd, but if he can stay healthy, there's reason to believe he could be top 5 in the league, even if with a shorter career. Does having a top 5 back for the next 6-8 years justify giving up our 1st and 2nd picks? I'm having a hard time saying it doesn't. Of course, all of this is contingent on a slight slide to the Skins. As for the money, I think we could overcome RW's fear of not pinching enough pennies and convince him that this was a move worth making. This is the ultimate gamble, but if we want to talk about winning Super Bowls, you have to decide when you're going to roll the dice, because you're not going to do it without taking a few chances. Think of how wonderful a compliment AP would be to Losman... talk about maximizing what JP can bring to the table.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Thank you.

Someone finally brings up the subject of not just if its a good move to improve the team on the field; but the fact that the sixth pick would cost Wilson a pile of cash. Biggest reason why I dont think we trade up that high for Peterson, even if we were able to rob Washington.

I've thought about this, too, and you're right that Wilson will be thinking about it himself, considering that the Bills may have allocated most of the money they're willing to spend on draft-day (I know the NFL would let them have access to more from the rookie pool to if they moved to #6, but still). Still, I would very disappointed in Buffalo if this, and this alone, prevented us from moving up for a player that is a consensus top-two or three pick. And if the Chargers had been willing, or more easily placated, we would probably have already traded away our second and would have extended Michael Turner's contract to the tune of 5 or 6 years, $5.5 to $6 million per season. So what's the difference between what Peterson will make at #6? I realize he's a RB, but building off of 2006's sixth-pick, TE Vernon Davis' contract (5 years, $23 million), means that the likely difference between what Peterson would make at six vs. what trading and extending Michael Turner would cust us, isn't appreciable.

I still hope to God that we either or willing to move up for Peterson, Willis eludes the 49ers and is there at twelve (or we move up to #10 to take him), our organization is willing to take a chance on Lynch, or is able to move down if done of the aforementioned things are achieved- I would absolutely be seething if Posluszny was our pick, at least at twelve. Man, that would suck. Maybe if we b*tch about it enough in advance, it can't come true, right? LOL

jamze132
04-23-2007, 07:10 AM
We should just stay where we are and draft Patrick Willis.