PDA

View Full Version : What if Marv/Dick don't draft a RB until day 2?

HHURRICANE
04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
I have been okay with every move, so far, that Marv has made in the off-season except for the McGahee trade. It didn't make alot of sense to me considering he was under contract and it created a BIG hole that we could have avoided.

Will you be angry if Thomas is our starting RB? I know I will be.

Devin
04-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Nope. I can wait til 08 for a RB.

Ideally id like to see a day 2 guy or maybe a vet brought in to split time with thomas, but im not worried about it.

Don't Panic
04-23-2007, 07:48 AM
I have been okay with every move, so far, that Marv has made in the off-season except for the McGahee trade. It didn't make alot of sense to me considering he was under contract and it created a BIG hole that we could have avoided.

Will you be angry if Thomas is our starting RB? I know I will be.

Thomas can start, but there better be someone decent behind him, and IMO the only way to get someone decent is to take him on day one. I can't see a 4th rounder yielding much for results in year one, but stranger things have happened. If we make no deals before Saturday, I'd expect a RB to get the call before the day ends.

Michael82
04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
It would mean that Marv is saying that this is still a rebuilding year and we'll get one of the stud RBs in 2008.

Kenny
04-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Agreed... I wouldnt be upset either... In fact, I'd be a bit happy.

Other than AP, there isnt a running back in the first day that I really want unless other holes are filled first. With 4 first day picks, I want to see:
2 LBs, 1 WR, and then CB/G/OT/RB.
RB to me just isnt as high a priority as some of our other holes (of course if we have a shot at AP, we need to take it)

Michael82
04-23-2007, 07:58 AM
This is the reason why I want Turner. Other than Peterson, none of the RBs impress me that much. Oh and Lynch's back history scares the hell out of me, plus his Willis style attitude.

HHURRICANE
04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
It would mean that Marv is saying that this is still a rebuilding year and we'll get one of the stud RBs in 2008.

That's what I'm afraid of!!!

People around here look at the Indy situation and assume we can do the same with Thomas. People forget that we tried this experiment with Henry and McGahee for a season and it didn't work well at all.

If somebody said to you today how about a backfield with Henry and McGahee in it, and you weren't from Buffalo, you would be all over it.

Point is that Thomas and a back from day 2 splitting duties sounds great but won't work too well. The O-line, QB, and coaches have to adjust accordingly to the different styles etc.

Neggie Nancy
04-23-2007, 08:06 AM
I will be very unhappy if we wait until day two, UNLESS they take Jackie Battle in round four.

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
I will be very unhappy if we wait until day two, UNLESS they take Jackie Battle in round four.

If we wait until the 2nd day I'd like to see us grab two to increase the odds that one will be able to produce. Under those circumstances I'd love to see a Jackie Battle/Garrett Wolfe combo. Or Jackie Battle/Deshawn Wynn.

I'm still rooting for a Turner trade. Our 2nd plus something next year. I think that's more reasonable than what we'd likely have to give up to trade up for AP.

bigbub2352
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
If we wait till day 2 our pick will be Battle Rb from Houston

madness
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
plus his Willis style attitude.

That couldn't be further from the truth. His attitude is the exact opposite of Willis.

camelcowboy
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Running back will in my opinion be addressed within the first 2 rounds. I think Petersen is on their radar screen if he drops below the browns.

HHURRICANE
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
That couldn't be further from the truth. His attitude is the exact opposite of Willis.

It is? Everything I've read makes him look like Willis Jr.

Sorry but drafting has enough question marks in it already. If Lynch turns out to be another character issue guy you'll look back on all the stuff that you thought wasn't a big deal and say "yeah, I should have seen that coming."

Jeff1220
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd actually like to see them get a guy like Booker this year and couple him up with one of the better pure RBs next year. Booker, with his speed and recieving capabilities would be a nice compliment to A-train for this year. I really see a lot of Brian Westbrook when I watch Booker, and he did really well sharing time in his first couple seasons with guys like Correll Buckhalter and Duce Staley.

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm more comfortable with Thomas starting at RB than I am with Youboty / Thomas starting at CB.

alohabillsfan
04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
There are a lot of options for RB in this draft! Like a lot of people have said Battle/Wolfe! M. Buss in Rd 3/4 Darius walker etc... Anyone of those can replace the failed experiment in McGahee. Thats why I would draft the following,

Trade down if possible (Denver)

21- WR Meecham
43- CB McCauley
70- LB Durant
74- RB Booker
86- RB Henry
92- LB Black
111- TE Boss
184- S Stone
222- QB Korrodi
240- WR Samarja

madness
04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
It is? Everything I've read makes him look like Willis Jr.

Sorry but drafting has enough question marks in it already. If Lynch turns out to be another character issue guy you'll look back on all the stuff that you thought wasn't a big deal and say "yeah, I should have seen that coming."

Get out of the fiction isle then. Lynch has NO character issues. The guy is one of the biggest team player in the draft. He always directs attention away from himself and toward his team. Even his scouting reports reflect his attitude and that's not something you usually see.

Highly respected by his teammates and staff, bringing a good attitude into the locker room with his work ethic and ability to keep the players "loose"

Maybe you should read this...

Despite those impressive numbers, perhaps Lynch's most memorable play of 2006 occurred when he commandeered a golf cart after an overtime win against Washington. Before the game, Huskies players did calisthenics on the Cal midfield logo, incurring Lynch's wrath.
"He was so into that game," Tedford says. "So when he saw the keys in the golf cart, he thought he'd go pick up (linebacker) Desmond Bishop, who had sealed the win with an interception. When Lynch couldn't find Desmond, he just celebrated with the fans.
"That's Marshawn — fun-loving. He was a very popular guy on our team."
The golf-cart stunt surprised those who knew Lynch, because he abhors calling attention to himself. Before the season, when the Cal sports information department planned to promote Lynch on a computer mousepad, he balked.
"I don't like it," he said.
"Why not?" assistant media relations director John Sudsbury asked.
After some back-and-forth, he pulled it out of Lynch: He didn't want the school to distribute anything featuring his image.
But Sudsbury gave it one more shot. "What can we do instead?" he asked.
"If you put my teammates on it," Lynch said, "that might be OK."
There wasn't enough room on the mousepad for everybody, so Sudsbury asked, "How about the three tailbacks?"
Lynch said it was fine — then immediately went to find teammates Forsett and Marcus O'Keith for their approval. The Golden Bears ended up producing a mousepad called "Tailback Triple Threat."
"He doesn't want to be in the limelight," Forsett says. "Thinking of us like that made us feel special. It showed he really cared about us. But that's the way he is. He's a humble guy and makes you feel like you're important, even if you're a fifth-stringer. He's somebody you can say is your true brother."
Those close to Lynch vouch for his character, which came into question in January.
A woman claiming to be Lynch's ex-girlfriend accused him of domestic and sexual assault. But charges were never filed, and prosecutors cited a lack of evidence and inconsistencies in the accuser's allegations.
"I was innocent," Lynch says, "and we got that taken care of."
Tedford thinks the incident was a learning situation for Lynch. "As you grow in the public eye, you just never know what people will say or do or what their motives are," he says. "It boggles my mind, people who are motivated to say things that aren't true."