PDA

View Full Version : Slim's Mock

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Allright, since everybody's doin it, here's mine.

1. Trade with Tennesee(#12 for Tenn's #19 and #50). Take Jon Beason, OLB at 19. I like Patrick Willis better than Beason, but if we're going to trade our 2nd rounder for Michael Turner (which I would do), sacrificing Willis to drop down to 19 brings us that 2nd rounder back. I would rather have a 2nd rounder AND Beason than just Willis, as I don't think the difference between the two is enormous. This would make sense for Tennessee as well as they'd be more or less gauranteed to get Lynch if they want him, and I doubt Lynch would get past GB otherwise.

2a. Trade for Michael Turner, RB, together with our 4th for next year. I'm working off the latest rumor that says that's what AJ Smith will settle for. Turner gives us the feature back we need and won't force us to mortgage our day 1 draft like moving up for AP would.

2b. Jason Hill, WR. If Hill's gone, then Sidney Rice, WR. If Rice is gone, then Zack Miller, TE. Hill and Rice will give us a legitimate threat opposite Lee Evans, and alternatively, Zack Miller is a TE that will give JP a reliable release valve. Miller may be too slow to really stretch the field, and I think some of Robert Royal's lack of production last year can be attributed to the fact that they were keeping him in blocking to cover for OL deficiencies more often than not. Thus I'd rather give Royal another chance with the improved OL, and take Hill or Rice to give us a true #2 receiver that can peel coverage away from Lee.

3a. Daymeon Hughes, CB. Sounds like the perfect Cover-2 CB. I don't know what else to say, we need one. Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson David Irons or Michael Coe also would fit the bill here. I'm honestly having a little trouble finding a 3rd round CB I really like, but given our needs at LB and RB don't want to see us take one higher.

3b. Lorenzo Booker, RB. Explosive, tough to catch in the open field, and an excellant receiver. Would be a great complement to Turner as a 3rd down back, as Turner is somewhat of an unknown as a pass catcher. Alternatively, if Michael Bush is on the board here, I'd have to seriously consider him. Bush is likewise a surprisingly good receiver for his size, and with Turner, A-Train and Bush, we'd have three big guys who could absolutely batter defenses. And Turner/Bush are FAST. However, I have a feeling that Bush gets taken earlier than this despite his injury concerns, so Booker is my pick here. Booker would likely be a more balanced complement to Turner anyhow.

4. Rufus Alexander, OLB. Or if Alexander's gone, Justin Durant, OLB. Either one would add a serious challenge to Ellison, and at minimum serve as great depth at WLB.

6. Brandon Sharp, S. By my count, we only have three safeties at this point, so we could use a little depth. According to NFL.com, Sharp has great speed and instincts and is a leader, but is a little undersized and could use some more strength (they compare him to Madieu Williams of Cincy).

7a. Matt Trannon, WR. 6'6" 237 lbs with soft hands and 4.5 speed at the combine. Maybe it's b/c he's a basketball player and everyone's looking for the next Antonio Gates, but I'd try converting him to TE. He could make a great pass-catching complement to Royal's blocking ability.

7b. Jared Zabransky, QB. Might not have the finest measurables, but he's a fiery competitor and a winner, the kind of guy you want running the show at the end of the game. Struggled with interceptions, but made much better decisions senior year, and he'll have plenty of time to learn the game on the bench behind JP.

The only pick I was a little torn on was 3b, where I was having trouble picking between Booker and a Guard like Josh Beekman or Marshall Yanda. I would love to see us continue to infuse talent into the OL, and I'm not confident in the right side of the line yet. However, with Butler, Pennington, Merz, Preston, and Whittle all in the mix for the RG spot, I think we should probably evaluate what we have this year before giving up on Butler/Pennington/Merz in particular. If we still aren't getting consistent production from the RG position in 2007, we can focus on it next year.

jamesiscool
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
i could live with that totally.

but as for specualting tarding down... not so easy. it takes two to tango and who klnows who wants to move up.

Mr. Miyagi
04-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd be very happy with that draft. Very well balanced draft addressing most of our holes.

Bert102176
04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Turner is a product of that system take him out of their system and you have lawrence Phillups or how ever you spell his name.

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
i could live with that totally.

but as for specualting tarding down... not so easy. it takes two to tango and who klnows who wants to move up.

I agree. It's all speculation. Which is why if Willis and AP are both off the Board at 12 and we DONT trade down, I'm not going to throw a fit.

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Turner is a product of that system take him out of their system and you have lawrence Phillups or how ever you spell his name.

He's 235 lbs, runs a 4.4, and has both the vision and elusiveness to be one of the top return men in the game. I think those attributes translate well into just about any system.

Neggie Nancy
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Having a solid RB via trade or draft is the key to me to a successful draft weekend.

If we got Lynch or Turner, and then a REAL threat at WR to play next to Evans, it would make the defense a lot better just by that alone.

X-Era
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Allright, since everybody's doin it, here's mine.

1. Trade with Tennesee(#12 for Tenn's #19 and #50). Take Jon Beason, OLB at 19. I like Patrick Willis better than Beason, but if we're going to trade our 2nd rounder for Michael Turner (which I would do), sacrificing Willis to drop down to 19 brings us that 2nd rounder back. I would rather have a 2nd rounder AND Beason than just Willis, as I don't think the difference between the two is enormous. This would make sense for Tennessee as well as they'd be more or less gauranteed to get Lynch if they want him, and I doubt Lynch would get past GB otherwise.

2a. Trade for Michael Turner, RB, together with our 4th for next year. I'm working off the latest rumor that says that's what AJ Smith will settle for. Turner gives us the feature back we need and won't force us to mortgage our day 1 draft like moving up for AP would.

2b. Jason Hill, WR. If Hill's gone, then Sidney Rice, WR. If Rice is gone, then Zack Miller, TE. Hill and Rice will give us a legitimate threat opposite Lee Evans, and alternatively, Zack Miller is a TE that will give JP a reliable release valve. Miller may be too slow to really stretch the field, and I think some of Robert Royal's lack of production last year can be attributed to the fact that they were keeping him in blocking to cover for OL deficiencies more often than not. Thus I'd rather give Royal another chance with the improved OL, and take Hill or Rice to give us a true #2 receiver that can peel coverage away from Lee.

3a. Daymeon Hughes, CB. Sounds like the perfect Cover-2 CB. I don't know what else to say, we need one. Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson David Irons or Michael Coe also would fit the bill here. I'm honestly having a little trouble finding a 3rd round CB I really like, but given our needs at LB and RB don't want to see us take one higher.

3b. Lorenzo Booker, RB. Explosive, tough to catch in the open field, and an excellant receiver. Would be a great complement to Turner as a 3rd down back, as Turner is somewhat of an unknown as a pass catcher. Alternatively, if Michael Bush is on the board here, I'd have to seriously consider him. Bush is likewise a surprisingly good receiver for his size, and with Turner, A-Train and Bush, we'd have three big guys who could absolutely batter defenses. And Turner/Bush are FAST. However, I have a feeling that Bush gets taken earlier than this despite his injury concerns, so Booker is my pick here. Booker would likely be a more balanced complement to Turner anyhow.

4. Rufus Alexander, OLB. Or if Alexander's gone, Justin Durant, OLB. Either one would add a serious challenge to Ellison, and at minimum serve as great depth at WLB.

6. Brandon Sharp, S. By my count, we only have three safeties at this point, so we could use a little depth. According to NFL.com, Sharp has great speed and instincts and is a leader, but is a little undersized and could use some more strength (they compare him to Madieu Williams of Cincy).

7a. Matt Trannon, WR. 6'6" 237 lbs with soft hands and 4.5 speed at the combine. Maybe it's b/c he's a basketball player and everyone's looking for the next Antonio Gates, but I'd try converting him to TE. He could make a great pass-catching complement to Royal's blocking ability.

7b. Jared Zabransky, QB. Might not have the finest measurables, but he's a fiery competitor and a winner, the kind of guy you want running the show at the end of the game. Struggled with interceptions, but made much better decisions senior year, and he'll have plenty of time to learn the game on the bench behind JP.

The only pick I was a little torn on was 3b, where I was having trouble picking between Booker and a Guard like Josh Beekman or Marshall Yanda. I would love to see us continue to infuse talent into the OL, and I'm not confident in the right side of the line yet. However, with Butler, Pennington, Merz, Preston, and Whittle all in the mix for the RG spot, I think we should probably evaluate what we have this year before giving up on Butler/Pennington/Merz in particular. If we still aren't getting consistent production from the RG position in 2007, we can focus on it next year.

Your not getting Alexander in the 4th IMO

I dont like a trade for Turner, Id rather take one early in the draft

Beason at 19 is a pretty good value pick, not a steal but close.

Love the Trannon pick, as a TE.

Love the pick of Jason Hill but I didnt like the move down to get him.

Very solid!

ShadowHawk7
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
A wonderful draft IMO. However, I would go ahead and take Beekman w/ that late 3rd rounder instead of Booker because of the Turner trade, and grab a talented rb in the 6th.

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
A wonderful draft IMO. However, I would go ahead and take Beekman w/ that late 3rd rounder instead of Booker because of the Turner trade, and grab a talented rb in the 6th.

that works for me too. I like the idea of building the nastiest OL we can. It'll make everyone else on offense look better. Either way.

MarvLevy
04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
GOOD DRAFT..COULD I TRADE BOOKER FOR BRIAN LEONARD?

WHAT DO U THINK?

ZacGriffi~82
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
One thing that's scary about Trannon is that he's a dumbass. He got like an 8 on the Wonderlic.

MarvLevy
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
wonderlic means NOTHING

Saratoga Slim
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
One thing that's scary about Trannon is that he's a dumbass. He got like an 8 on the Wonderlic.

Good, he can room with Jason Peters.

Intelligence probably has something to do with why a guy who's 6'6", can catch, and runs a 4.5 is likely to be on the board until the 6-7th round. He supposedly needs a lot of work on route running too, though I would think that would be a little less critical at TE, where he's probably covered by a LB, than out at WR.

Saratoga Slim
04-24-2007, 08:31 AM
GOOD DRAFT..COULD I TRADE BOOKER FOR BRIAN LEONARD?

WHAT DO U THINK?

With Booker I was adding a RB who can catch out of the backfield as a complement to Turner, and Leonard surely fits that bill as well. But I highly doubt Leonard will be available past the 2nd round, so a straight up Booker-for-Leonard swap wouldn't quite work in my scenario.

If you really wanted to, you could forgo the Jason Hill pick and if Leonard was on the board with our 2b, take Leonard there, and then use the 3b on a WR like Jacoby Jones (or best remaining on the board if Johnnie Lee Higgins, Aundrae Allison or one of them falls). Thus:

1. Beason, OLB
2a. (Turner), RB
2b. Leonard, RB
3a. Hughes, CB
3b. Jones or other WR

That would really load us up in the backfield. I think I'd still go with Hill at 2b if it were up to me though. We would be paying Turner a good amount of cash, and he's going to deserve the lion's share of carries, so taking another RB in the 2nd would not be the most cost-conscious approach to that position.