PDA

View Full Version : Bills Still Interested In Briggs

Buffalo Sabres
04-24-2007, 08:37 AM
BILLS INTERESTED IN BRIGGS?: Could Dick Jauron and Perry Fewell's history with Lance Briggs help to broker a deal for the disgruntled Chicago linebacker? The Chicago Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070423bearsbriggs,1,4585517.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines) is reporting that the Bills are one of four teams interested in Briggs who has played the weak side and in the middle in his career. Other teams reportedly include Tampa Bay, Giants, Denver and long rumored Washington. Draft weekend is getting more and more interesting by the day. Obviously acquiring a player like Briggs would dramatically shift Buffalo's draft focus chiefly to RB.
Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1271)

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately I think this is another pre-draft smokescreen.

First, Briggs' asking price is too high- not necessarily what the Bears would require to trade for him, but in terms of the contract he would want.

Second, his agent is that POS Drew Rosenhaus, and it came out last week that the Bills' FO does not want to deal with Rosenass because he's such a POS.

That being said, I'd be very happy if the Bills pulled this off- it just doesn't seem likely.

Buffalo Sabres
04-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Second, his agent is that POS Drew Rosenhaus, and it came out last week that the Bills' FO does not want to deal with Rosenass because he's such a POS.

says who?

RedEyE
04-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I think this is a definite smoke screen as well. However, I would not be disappointed if the Bills traded their 1st rounder for this guy. It's obviously a needed position on the roster, and why gamble on a guy like say Patrick Willis at 12th overall, when you can have a proven Lance Briggs for the same price?

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
says who? why do you make up **** to back up your own argument?

there were several articles posted here last week that addressed it. Do your homework before attacking me.

Michael82
04-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Hmmm, IF Willis and Peterson aren't there at #12, something tells me that Marv is going to do some major wheeling and dealing on Saturday.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
there were several articles posted here last week that addressed it. .

this article about Briggs is a smokescreen but that reported article about the FO not liking Rosenhass isn't? Who decides which article is legit?

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 09:01 AM
this article about Briggs is a smokescreen but that reported article about the FO not liking Rosenhass isn't? Who decides which article is legit?

It's my opinion that the Briggs article is a smokescreen because the evidence suggests that a trade for Briggs would be difficult to work out (in case you forgot, we already tried once this off-season). It's a fact that Marv likes high-character players, and it's a fact that Rosenhaus is a complete douche, so it's logical that Marv wouldn't want to deal with that snake- while not a proven fact, it does make sense.

Feel free to disagree.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
The sad part is that I've listened to a bunch of shows and the consensus is that Patrick Willis will be better than Briggs.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The sad part is that I've listened to a bunch of shows and the consensus is that Patrick Willis is better than Briggs.

And how many downs of NFL football has Patrick Willis played?

Draft picks are always a gamble- Briggs has proven he can play in the NFL. There is risk associated with every player, but at this point Briggs is significantly less risky. And regardless of what happens down the road, on opening day of 2007, Lance Briggs will be better than Patrick Willis.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 09:07 AM
It's my opinion that the Briggs article is a smokescreen because the evidence suggests that a trade for Briggs would be difficult to work out (in case you forgot, we already tried once this off-season). It's a fact that Marv likes high-character players, and it's a fact that Rosenhaus is a complete douche, so it's logical that Marv wouldn't want to deal with that snake- while not a proven fact, it does make sense.

Feel free to disagree.

So it's your OPINION. OK. At least we got that straight.

Yes, we tried it last offseason but it wasn't about character of the agent but what it would cost to take Briggs.

Marv Likes high character players, I agree. Rosenass is not a player. You can't tell me that Drew doesn't have players that MArv would take in a hearbeat if the asking price was reasonable for the BILLS.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
And how many downs of NFL football has Patrick Willis played?

Draft picks are always a gamble- Briggs has proven he can play in the NFL. There is risk associated with every player, but at this point Briggs is significantly less risky. And regardless of what happens down the road, on opening day of 2007, Lance Briggs will be better than Patrick Willis.

Just like Willis McGahee will be better than any 2nd or 3rd rd. draft pick you said would be an upgrade over him?

:calm:

BTW, I will not count out Briggs being part of our moves on draft day.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 09:12 AM
So it's your OPINION. OK. At least we got that straight.

Yes, we tried it last offseason but it wasn't about character of the agent but what it would cost to take Briggs.

Marv Likes high character players, I agree. Rosenass is not a player. You can't tell me that Drew doesn't have players that MArv would take in a hearbeat if the asking price was reasonable.

Well I think it goes like this: if you have two players who are of approximately equal ability and one has Rosenass and the other doesn't, Marv is going for the non- Rosenass guy every time. When it comes to the draft, I would hope that it's not a major factor but I would guess that it's a consideration- if they draft one of his players, that's 5 years of dealing with him (assuming the player doesn't get cut, and given his price tag, players likely of getting cut can't really afford him).

As far as Briggs- I agree that the price is too high, which is one of the reasons I think this is a smoke screen. I think a first round draft pick straight up would be good for both the Bills and Chicago, but the sticking point will be Briggs' contract demands.

bigbub2352
04-24-2007, 09:16 AM
With the way things have gone this year, and when Marv was HC back in the day, he is not afraid of trading, so i would not be suprised or mad if something with Briggs went down, we will see...

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Well I think it goes like this: if you have two players who are of approximately equal ability and one has Rosenass and the other doesn't, Marv is going for the non- Rosenass guy every time. . In this case it won't matter. Briggs played for Jauron. Jauron nor Marv would care if Rosenass is his agent. It's all about making the team better. It's his asking price that's makes it look like we won't land Briggs.

Marv would've drafted Whitner whether or not Rosenass was his agent.

Carlton Bailey
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I love Briggs but don't see this happening. I still say Washington for him.

oldno711
04-24-2007, 09:25 AM
[quote=the Bills are one of four teams interested in Briggs who has played the weak side and in the middle in his career. Other teams reportedly include Tampa Bay, Giants, Denver and long rumored Washington.[/quote]

...one (Bills) of four teams (TB, NYG, Denver, Washington, Buffalo)??? nice.

ublinkwescore
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
says who? why do you make up **** to back up your own argument?

Pat Moran supposedly talked with some people in Buffalo's front office, he said that Jim Overdorf (is that his name?) or someone high up in the brass doesn't like Drew Rosen@$$ ever since they had to deal with him regarding McGahee.

Didn't he say something like they got into a heated argument or something like that?

DraftBoy
04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Pat Moran supposedly talked with some people in Buffalo's front office, he said that Jim Overdorf (is that his name?) or someone high up in the brass doesn't like Drew Rosen@$$ ever since they had to deal with him regarding McGahee.

Didn't he say something like they got into a heated argument or something like that?

Thats what was reported

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I didnt say there was any kind of fight between Rosenhaus and Overdorf.. IF there is, I know nothing about that. The only thing I know is that some extreme unpleasantries were exchanged between Overdorf and Rosenhaus when it came to renegotiation on Willis McGahee's contract, which may have led to Willis getting traded.. Exactly what could have been said, I have no idea as I obviously wasn't around that, nor was anyone that I spoke to. But Overdorf's distaste for Rosenhaus isn't exactly groundbreaking news anyway (as I stated when I reported that)

What I did say, and what I stand by, is that Jim Overdorf (never said anything about marv levy) cannot stand Drew Rosenhaus-- and what I DID say is that if all things are EQUAL don't expect the Bills to deal with any Rosenhaus clients.

However, when it comes to a guy like Briggs, all things AREN'T EQUAL. And DON'T totally assume we will not draft a guy just because he is a Rosenhaus client. If the Bills want a WR in round two and Jason hill is much better than the next guy, I wouldn't expect Levy to not take him.

ublinkwescore
04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I didnt say there was any kind of fight between Rosenhaus and Overdorf.. IF there is, I know nothing about that. The only thing I know is that some extreme unpleasantries were exchanged between Overdorf and Rosenhaus when it came to renegotiation on Willis McGahee's contract, which may have led to Willis getting traded.. Exactly what could have been said, I have no idea as I obviously wasn't around that, nor was anyone that I spoke to. But Overdorf's distaste for Rosenhaus isn't exactly groundbreaking news anyway (as I stated when I reported that)

What I did say, and what I stand by, is that Jim Overdorf (never said anything about marv levy) cannot stand Drew Rosenhaus-- and what I DID say is that if all things are EQUAL don't expect the Bills to deal with any Rosenhaus clients.

However, when it comes to a guy like Briggs, all things AREN'T EQUAL. And DON'T totally assume we will not draft a guy just because he is a Rosenhaus client. If the Bills want a WR in round two and Jason hill is much better than the next guy, I wouldn't expect Levy to not take him.

I'm really tired... I could have sworn that I looked at your username and it said the Answer - so I groaned you - until I read your username again and it said Neggie Nancy - then I removed it.

jpdex12
04-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, IF Willis and Peterson aren't there at #12, something tells me that Marv is going to do some major wheeling and dealing on Saturday.

Absolutely no question about this! Good point Mikey! I can't wait to see what **** goes down. We may be left with our jaws on the floor or we may be left with a crop of nice draft picks.

HAMMER
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Some of you take these, "things you've heard", way too seriously. In business you have to deal with people on a daily basis that chap your ass for one reason or another. There is no way we would avoid a player just because Rosenhaus was his agent. He is known for getting deals done, that is the end goal for all.

ublinkwescore
04-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Some of you take these, "things you've heard", way too seriously. In business you have to deal with people on a daily basis that chap your ass for one reason or another. There is no way we would avoid a player just because Rosenhaus was his agent. He is known for getting deals done, that is the end goal for all.

funny, all I thought he was known for was representing over-rated primadonnas.