PDA

View Full Version : How Flippin Sweet Would This Be?

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed. I'm fully aware, more than most, that the NFL doesnt work like a game of Madden. Trades are complex and there is far more too it than meets the average eye. I wouldn't expect things to go down like this, but since it's the time of the year to "imagine the possibilities" here it goes.

Let's say the Bills pull a trade for Lance Briggs before the draft..
* Swap first rounders (12 for 31) and give them a second rounder next year. BEfore going any further, I dont care what some fools in here say; Lance Briggs is one of the five BEST LB's in the NFL, period. I don't care that he "plays next to Urlacher". Given his age, productivity and the fact he's a dream NFL cover two LB, he's PERFECT for this team.

Anyway.. We make that trade and then...
* Give up that 31st pick (1st round) to SD for Michael Turner- who to me is as talented (minimum) as Lynch and better than the next wave of RB prospects.

So at the end of the day, we don't have a first rounder this year and give up a 2nd next year, but we end up with a Pro Bowl LB in Briggs AND Michael Turner.

* Round two- EASILY the best WR on the board. Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Jason Hill. ONE of them would be ours.

* Third rounders- best CB and best LB on board for depth/possible future starters.

To me personally, that is absolutely as good as it gets.

What does it do? Well two things.
1- It improves the team dramatically IMMEDIATELY.
2- No critic in their right mind, not even me, could ever question whether Wilson would be committed to winning.

Now, the downfalls.
1- Money. While the Bills would still be easil under the NFL salary cap, this would absolutely put them well over their self-imposed "cash to crap" philosophy. It would take a great financial committment. Briggs wants (deserves) top 5 LB money; and Turner is just entering his prime. He'd probably be on par with a contract similar to the 5 years/$25 million a guy like Travis Henry got.

To be perfectly honest-- The trades are NOT unrealistic in terms of if the other teams would deal with us. I think these trades are very realistic. What it comes down to is money, and I dont think Wilson would ever pay both Briggs AND Turner; even though by salary cap definition we could make it fit without much struggles.

Make one final run Wilson!

Thoughts?

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Thoughts?

Are you gonna make another final mock draft?

BTW, that would be awsome. We could use the other draft picks to get JP more weapons.

Mr. Miyagi
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed.
I'm sorry, you lost me right there already. :huh:

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Im slow.. not ******ed

User Manuel
04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I miss Patmoran2006...:bandwagon

Ed
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I like it. I've always been up for getting Briggs or Turner somehow. Getting both would be a dream. Plus, still having 3 first day picks would just be icing on the cake. With this scenario it really doesn't seem like we're giving up that much either. A 1st this year and 2nd next year for Briggs and Turner.

This is easily my favorite scenario of anything I've seen, but you're right. It's the money we'd have to spend that will keep this from ever happening. Even though the #12 pick is going to get a big contract, there's still a rookie cap. Briggs would want a monster deal and has Rosenhaus as his agent.

Don't Panic
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Nanc... your scenario definitely gears us up for a run this year. If we were able to get Briggs and Turner (why did I just feel like I flashed back to February?), we would have zero glaring weaknesses. We'd still need a lot of things to come together to truly make a run, but we'd be in about the best possible position to do so. I would be far from unhappy with a scenario like this.

THATHURMANATOR
04-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed. I'm fully aware, more than most, that the NFL doesnt work like a game of Madden. Trades are complex and there is far more too it than meets the average eye. I wouldn't expect things to go down like this, but since it's the time of the year to "imagine the possibilities" here it goes.

* Swap first rounders (12 for 31) and give them a second rounder next year. BEfore going any further, I dont care what some fools in here say; Lance Briggs is one of the five BEST LB's in the NFL, period. I don't care that he "plays next to Urlacher". Given his age, productivity and the fact he's a dream NFL cover two LB, he's PERFECT for this team.

* Give up that 31st pick (1st round) to SD for Michael Turner- who to me is as talented (minimum) as Lynch and better than the next wave of RB prospects.

So at the end of the day, we don't have a first rounder this year and give up a 2nd next year, but we end up with a Pro Bowl LB in Briggs AND Michael Turner.

* Round two- EASILY the best WR on the board. Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Jason Hill. ONE of them would be ours.

* Third rounders- best CB and best LB on board for depth/possible future starters.

2- No critic in their right mind, not even me, could ever question whether Wilson would be committed to winning.

Now, the downfalls.
1- Money. While the Bills would still be easil under the NFL salary cap, this would absolutely put them well over their self-imposed "cash to crap" philosophy. It would take a great financial committment. Briggs wants (deserves) top 5 LB money; and Turner is just entering his prime. He'd probably be on par with a contract similar to the 5 years/$25 million a guy like Travis Henry got.

To be perfectly honest-- The trades are NOT unrealistic in terms of if the other teams would deal with us. I think these trades are very realistic. What it comes down to is money, and I dont think Wilson would ever pay both Briggs AND Turner; even though by salary cap definition we could make it fit without much struggles.

Thoughts?
Hey we can dream can't we? I would love this.

jamesiscool
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
pat..... i mean nancy

i love it. that would be the best possible day one i could imagine.

BUT we as fans can dream, we aren't GM's and you know that of course, so no matter how much we wish that this WOULD happen i have a feeling it wont. BUT on that off chance that it does **** YEA DUDE!

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
If Wilson is SERIOUS about a committment to winning; given the cap room we have and the recent developments with revenue sharing, we have all the tools to take advantage of these situations.

Chicago knows Briggs won't be there long term and will end up (I think anyway) trading him for the best offer. They probably see it as we did with Nate Clements last year at this point.

SD is full of **** if they think they can get a first and third for Turner. they lose him, possibly for nothing next year so why not get good value now. A pick at the end of the first round has to be as good as they can hope for.

These deals aren't as much Madden-like as most people think.. It comes to economics and what our owner is willing to spend..

On a side note, Briggs and Turner aren't guys like TD signed last era like Spikes, Milloy, Fletch, Vincent etc. those were guys who were already in the peak of their prime and getting older.. Both Briggs and Turner are young and proven, especially Briggs.. And still have a solid 5-7 years of prime play in them.

Getting these guys along with Losman, Evans, Peters and a few others would give this team a ridiculous nucleus for years to come.

mikemac2001
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Haha that would rock...i would be going crazy with that draft day think it put us with one of the better offseason's

Jan Reimers
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I love it, NN, but you should really stay off the Jamesons this early in the day.

acehole
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Posted this idea a while back...not that far fetched actually. It come down to Ralph and his check book...and that is what the mail stumbling block would be.....IMHO we end up with the 2nd best RB in this draft or anywhere and the one of the best LB's and our 2nd rounder to boot.

Now, the downfalls.

Thoughts?

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Let's say Briggs isn't traded by monday, if Briggs sticks to his guns and sits out Duh Bears camp, he might still be traded then using next years draft picks. This isn't such a bad scenario since the bills will have a clearer picture of their Lb'ers at camp whether they grabbed one or not in this years draft.

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Let's just say in our fantasy world we pulled off trades for Briggs and Turner.
Check this out. Here are (in my opinion) the 10 best players currently on this team, in RANDOM ORDER..

Losman, Evans, Peters, Dockery, Schobel, Crowell, Whitner, McGee, Briggs, Turner

What does this ENTIRE nucleus have in common?

Answer- NOT one of them is on the wrong side of 30, not even ONE. That's called a "championship nucleus"

For the next several years, the Bills could focus on resigning their own (like Indy) and continue to draft well, which with the young above stated core makes them championship contenders for years to come.

Sorry, to me its all about Wilson and his committment to winning-- and that's been my BIG PROBLEM with this franchise for a few years now.

Mitchy moo
04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I miss Patmoran2006...:bandwagon

the answer?

Don't Panic
04-24-2007, 10:14 AM
NOT one of them is on the wrong side of 30, not even ONE. That's called a "championship nucleus"

For the next several years, the Bills could focus on resigning their own (like Indy) and continue to draft well, which with the young above stated core makes them championship contenders for years to come.

This is the kind of thinking our FO needs to have. This is the kind of thinking that builds championships.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
It's a pipedream, but it's possible if we can get these two guys to visit the Bears and Chargers' "war rooms" before the draft:
http://www.tmalliance.com/uploads/003793/mallrats%5B1%5D.jpg

Snoogans.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry, to me its all about Wilson and his committment to winning-- and that's been my BIG PROBLEM with this franchise for a few years now.

You started out well but going downhill with this comment. Unless you know the specifics about landing Turner or Briggs and what's going on in OBD don't just assume that Wilson isn't committed to winning.

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I wonder how much cap space it would cost us to get both Briggs and Turner.

BTW, I posted an article some time ago that said Turner wants four years 28 million.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2007, 10:36 AM
If they made these moves, I would be very happy.

Saratoga Slim
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Let's just say in our fantasy world we pulled off trades for Briggs and Turner.
Check this out. Here are (in my opinion) the 10 best players currently on this team, in RANDOM ORDER..

Losman, Evans, Peters, Dockery, Schobel, Crowell, Whitner, McGee, Briggs, Turner

What does this ENTIRE nucleus have in common?

Answer- NOT one of them is on the wrong side of 30, not even ONE. That's called a "championship nucleus"

Even assuming we don't get Briggs or Turner, your point is still right on: Losman, Evans, Peters, Dockery, Schobel, Crowell, Whitner, McGee, are all young and form a great nucleus.

Moreover, I'm willing to bet that by season's end, at LEAST one of Simpson, Ellison, McCargo, KW, or maybe even Parrish gets added to that list, as one of them is bound to have a breakout season. Not to mention that we'll probably have Willis/Beason and/or a stud running back to add to it as well.

Bottom line: we've got a great young nucleus to build around. I like the way things are looking, long term.

User Manuel
04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I would love it. I'd probably buy seasons if it happened.

We can dream can't we? Then again maybe some day someone would trade the Sabres Danny Briere for Chris Gratton, hey, wait.....

North_Coast
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I like the Briggs part, but I'm not a Turner fan. Sorry, but just I can't see trading for a first or second rounder for a RB who averages only about 5-6 carries a game.

Tatonka
04-24-2007, 10:59 AM
if this scenario happened.. i wouldnt take my bills jersey even to shower for a month.

TigerJ
04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I wonder how much cap space it would cost us to get both Briggs and Turner.

BTW, I posted an article some time ago that said Turner wants four years 28 million. That's my main question. Both Turner and Briggs want big time contracts. What kind of numbers do they want and how does that fit in Buffalo's cap situation?

Mudflap1
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm all for it, and I don't think it's that impossible, although as we know it's highly unlikely.

Jon

ddaryl
04-24-2007, 11:49 AM
The only real issue is the amount of money Briggs and Turner would command (Briggs would want to be paid like one of the top 3 LB's if not more) Does it handcuff us from extending JP and Evans in 2008 or sooner? Cash to cap was implemented to ensure we have the room to do that.

since our most immediate needs are LB and RB these 2 trades would be good ones. However my last stipulation would be that these 2 players VERY MUCH want to be here.

Chicago might want a replacement LB so would they make this move if Willis is off the board at our #12, and would we make this move if Willis was on the board at #12 ?

SD should have no problems with trading Turner to us with the 31st pick overall.

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Well finanically...

Briggs would probably want a little more than Adalius Thomas, who got $35 million over 6 years from NE, including $20 million guarenteed.

Turner would probably want a Travis Henry like deal, though he wouldnt deserve as much, especially the "guarenteed money". Henry's deal with Denver is for 5 years and $22.5 million, $12 million guarenteed.

Now it depends on how you scale the money.

If you're going by the salary cap that the other 31 teams in the NFL go by, then Buffalo could fit these two under the cap with no problems. A lot of this money would be able to get spread out.

But if you're going by Buffalo self-policed "cash to cap" then forget about it. It would put them way over their cash to cap because they'd have to fork over too much money THIS year..

I think they could keep a general cash to cap philosophy and then go over it on exceptions like this. MOST of the money paid up front for our FA's would still be paid up front, NOT wrecking out cap for future years like it was destroyed during the end of the Butler era when Donahoe had to clean house in 2001..

Now with these two guys as part of a core that would be young and potentially devastating, Buffalo wouldnt have to be very active in FA over the several years, and with the cap going up AGAIN next year they can concentrate on extending Losman and Evans (Buffalo has no prominent UFA's scheduled for 2008- none).

Naturally, these deals (either of them) are unlikely to happen, and that's what bothers me so much about this football team. The trades talent wise make great sense to our team, and who knows but I'm fairly certain both Chicago and SD would consider these fair deals.

But the fact that wilson won't go over cash to cap to get guys like this, even though the cap increases AND he got his way with revenue sharing, is why I can no longer stand him as an owner, why I HIGHLY question his committment to winning over making more money, and why I think (at least) that a lot of the national media is so hard on us. We do very little in the grand scheme of things currently to show everyone that we're serious about winning a championship.

Michael82
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
This goes back to what me and many others were talking about when free agency began. I would kill for this!!! :drool:

Michael82
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Just for the record, for a team that is trying to sell tickets and convince the fans to come back....that is exactly what they need to do. It would make Buffalo excited about the Bills again and would help sell out the season again. The season tickets would jump up too. :up:

Also, don't forget that Ralph has to sell 90% of the tickets to get the revenue sharing...doesn't he?