• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neggie Nancy
    Veteran Zoner
    • Apr 2007

How Flippin Sweet Would This Be?

Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed. I'm fully aware, more than most, that the NFL doesnt work like a game of Madden. Trades are complex and there is far more too it than meets the average eye. I wouldn't expect things to go down like this, but since it's the time of the year to "imagine the possibilities" here it goes.

Let's say the Bills pull a trade for Lance Briggs before the draft..
    * Swap first rounders (12 for 31) and give them a second rounder next year. BEfore going any further, I dont care what some fools in here say; Lance Briggs is one of the five BEST LB's in the NFL, period. I don't care that he "plays next to Urlacher". Given his age, productivity and the fact he's a dream NFL cover two LB, he's PERFECT for this team.

Anyway.. We make that trade and then...
    * Give up that 31st pick (1st round) to SD for Michael Turner- who to me is as talented (minimum) as Lynch and better than the next wave of RB prospects.

So at the end of the day, we don't have a first rounder this year and give up a 2nd next year, but we end up with a Pro Bowl LB in Briggs AND Michael Turner.

* Round two- EASILY the best WR on the board. Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Jason Hill. ONE of them would be ours.

* Third rounders- best CB and best LB on board for depth/possible future starters.

To me personally, that is absolutely as good as it gets.

What does it do? Well two things.
    1- It improves the team dramatically IMMEDIATELY.
    2- No critic in their right mind, not even me, could ever question whether Wilson would be committed to winning.

Now, the downfalls.
    1- Money. While the Bills would still be easil under the NFL salary cap, this would absolutely put them well over their self-imposed "cash to crap" philosophy. It would take a great financial committment. Briggs wants (deserves) top 5 LB money; and Turner is just entering his prime. He'd probably be on par with a contract similar to the 5 years/$25 million a guy like Travis Henry got.

To be perfectly honest-- The trades are NOT unrealistic in terms of if the other teams would deal with us. I think these trades are very realistic. What it comes down to is money, and I dont think Wilson would ever pay both Briggs AND Turner; even though by salary cap definition we could make it fit without much struggles.

Make one final run Wilson!

Thoughts?
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: How Flippin Sweet Would This Be?

Originally posted by Neggie Nancy
    Thoughts?

Are you gonna make another final mock draft?

BTW, that would be awsome. We could use the other draft picks to get JP more weapons.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed.
      I'm sorry, you lost me right there already.

Comment

• Neggie Nancy
        Veteran Zoner
        • Apr 2007

Im slow.. not ******ed

Comment

• User Manuel
          The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
          • Nov 2003

I miss Patmoran2006...

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I like it. I've always been up for getting Briggs or Turner somehow. Getting both would be a dream. Plus, still having 3 first day picks would just be icing on the cake. With this scenario it really doesn't seem like we're giving up that much either. A 1st this year and 2nd next year for Briggs and Turner.

This is easily my favorite scenario of anything I've seen, but you're right. It's the money we'd have to spend that will keep this from ever happening. Even though the #12 pick is going to get a big contract, there's still a rookie cap. Briggs would want a monster deal and has Rosenhaus as his agent.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Nanc... your scenario definitely gears us up for a run this year. If we were able to get Briggs and Turner (why did I just feel like I flashed back to February?), we would have zero glaring weaknesses. We'd still need a lot of things to come together to truly make a run, but we'd be in about the best possible position to do so. I would be far from unhappy with a scenario like this.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Let me start out by saying Im not ******ed. I'm fully aware, more than most, that the NFL doesnt work like a game of Madden. Trades are complex and there is far more too it than meets the average eye. I wouldn't expect things to go down like this, but since it's the time of the year to "imagine the possibilities" here it goes.

* Swap first rounders (12 for 31) and give them a second rounder next year. BEfore going any further, I dont care what some fools in here say; Lance Briggs is one of the five BEST LB's in the NFL, period. I don't care that he "plays next to Urlacher". Given his age, productivity and the fact he's a dream NFL cover two LB, he's PERFECT for this team.

* Give up that 31st pick (1st round) to SD for Michael Turner- who to me is as talented (minimum) as Lynch and better than the next wave of RB prospects.

So at the end of the day, we don't have a first rounder this year and give up a 2nd next year, but we end up with a Pro Bowl LB in Briggs AND Michael Turner.

* Round two- EASILY the best WR on the board. Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Jason Hill. ONE of them would be ours.

* Third rounders- best CB and best LB on board for depth/possible future starters.

2- No critic in their right mind, not even me, could ever question whether Wilson would be committed to winning.

Now, the downfalls.
                1- Money. While the Bills would still be easil under the NFL salary cap, this would absolutely put them well over their self-imposed "cash to crap" philosophy. It would take a great financial committment. Briggs wants (deserves) top 5 LB money; and Turner is just entering his prime. He'd probably be on par with a contract similar to the 5 years/$25 million a guy like Travis Henry got.

To be perfectly honest-- The trades are NOT unrealistic in terms of if the other teams would deal with us. I think these trades are very realistic. What it comes down to is money, and I dont think Wilson would ever pay both Briggs AND Turner; even though by salary cap definition we could make it fit without much struggles.

Thoughts?
                Hey we can dream can't we? I would love this.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                  suck it fool.
                  • Feb 2007

pat..... i mean nancy

i love it. that would be the best possible day one i could imagine.

BUT we as fans can dream, we aren't GM's and you know that of course, so no matter how much we wish that this WOULD happen i have a feeling it wont. BUT on that off chance that it does **** YEA DUDE!
                  Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Neggie Nancy
                    Veteran Zoner
                    • Apr 2007

If Wilson is SERIOUS about a committment to winning; given the cap room we have and the recent developments with revenue sharing, we have all the tools to take advantage of these situations.

Chicago knows Briggs won't be there long term and will end up (I think anyway) trading him for the best offer. They probably see it as we did with Nate Clements last year at this point.

SD is full of **** if they think they can get a first and third for Turner. they lose him, possibly for nothing next year so why not get good value now. A pick at the end of the first round has to be as good as they can hope for.

These deals aren't as much Madden-like as most people think.. It comes to economics and what our owner is willing to spend..

On a side note, Briggs and Turner aren't guys like TD signed last era like Spikes, Milloy, Fletch, Vincent etc. those were guys who were already in the peak of their prime and getting older.. Both Briggs and Turner are young and proven, especially Briggs.. And still have a solid 5-7 years of prime play in them.

Getting these guys along with Losman, Evans, Peters and a few others would give this team a ridiculous nucleus for years to come.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                      • Mar 2003

Haha that would rock...i would be going crazy with that draft day think it put us with one of the better offseason's

MUCK
                      FIAMI

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

I love it, NN, but you should really stay off the Jamesons this early in the day.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• acehole
                          • Jan 2006

Posted this idea a while back...not that far fetched actually. It come down to Ralph and his check book...and that is what the mail stumbling block would be.....IMHO we end up with the 2nd best RB in this draft or anywhere and the one of the best LB's and our 2nd rounder to boot.

Now, the downfalls.

Thoughts?
                          Hated by the stupid..
                          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Let's say Briggs isn't traded by monday, if Briggs sticks to his guns and sits out Duh Bears camp, he might still be traded then using next years draft picks. This isn't such a bad scenario since the bills will have a clearer picture of their Lb'ers at camp whether they grabbed one or not in this years draft.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Neggie Nancy
                              Veteran Zoner
                              • Apr 2007

Let's just say in our fantasy world we pulled off trades for Briggs and Turner.
                              Check this out. Here are (in my opinion) the 10 best players currently on this team, in RANDOM ORDER..

Losman, Evans, Peters, Dockery, Schobel, Crowell, Whitner, McGee, Briggs, Turner

What does this ENTIRE nucleus have in common?

Answer- NOT one of them is on the wrong side of 30, not even ONE. That's called a "championship nucleus"

For the next several years, the Bills could focus on resigning their own (like Indy) and continue to draft well, which with the young above stated core makes them championship contenders for years to come.

Sorry, to me its all about Wilson and his committment to winning-- and that's been my BIG PROBLEM with this franchise for a few years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X