PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Tight End love?

Earthquake Enyart
04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Remeber Fairchild came from the Martz / Ram offense?

Can you even name me the tight end on the Ram Super Bowl team?

I'd rather go 3 and 4 wide than throw to the tight end.

jack1022
04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Can't you imagine Marv and Jimbo having dinner and Jim saying to Marv,
"you know Marv, the best way to help JP, as you remember I always had a TE to dump off too if Andre was doubled, was to look to Pete. You may want to get him a TE."

EDS
04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Ernie Conwall (or something like that)?

Romes
04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
"why all the tight end love" = :limp:

:D

elltrain22
04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I will throw my remote at the tv if we draft Olsen.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Can't you imagine Marv and Jimbo having dinner and Jim saying to Marv,
"you know Marv, the best way to help JP, as you remember I always had a TE to dump off too if Andre was doubled, was to look to Pete. You may want to get him a TE."

That would have to come from both Faichild and Dick.
Telling your coach how to run his offense wouldn't be the smartest thing. So far, Marv hasn't done that as a GM. We're not running the Kgun.

The King
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Brandon Manuemela

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
That would have to come from both Faichild and Dick.
Telling your coach how to run his offense wouldn't be the smartest thing. So far, Marv hasn't done that as a GM. We're not running the Kgun.
Nevermind..NOt gonna dis Marv until I see what we do with the draft.

Jan Reimers
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Might have been Roland Williams.

But I understand your point.

Mr. Pink
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
In 1999 when the Rams won the SB their main TE was Roland Williams...who only caught 6 TD passes. Name our last TE to do that. Jeff Robinson contributed 2 TDs of his own. So the greatest show on turf got 8 receiving TDs from the TE position.

In 2000 they pretty much abandoned using a TE. Then in 2001 Ernie Conwell stepped in the forefront and put up almost 40 catches.

So do you think we have a TE who can catch 40 balls in a season or 6 TD receptions right now?

Earthquake Enyart
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I can understand them using more of an H Back type of set up.

camelcowboy
04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
This is not the year to draft a tightend, unless you draft Ben Patrick, but he will be gone when seattle picks in round 2.If he does squeek past them he won't make it past miami in the third round.

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Nevermind..NOt gonna dis Marv until I see what we do with the draft.

Go ahead if you must. As far as I know and as far as MArv has admitted and continues to do so, desisions are commulative . He asks his coaches for inputs. Do you have any other sources that you care to disclose?

Even guys Like Bowens was brought in because April wanted him. Who do you think is running the FO TD? He would've brought Bennie back and told McNally to make it work.

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Nope.

and I dont care how many collaborators he has in on decisions. at the end of the day, if your NAME is listed as the GM you are the one responsible for things.

Having said that, like I said. I'm not going to praise him or blast him just days before the draft, because to be honest I dont have the FIRST ****ing clue what this club is going to do this coming weekend.. I'm not always right, but at least I usually have an idea of how things will go down, and this year I dont have the first clue in the world.

I expect them to be very active, either via trade for Turner/Briggs- moving up on board, or moving down. I will be shocked if they stand pat with all their draft picks and though I am hopeful we get guys I'm hoping for, I'm realistically expecting to be hugely dissapointed (which equates to Pos or Hall in round one and a cornerback in round two- with offense barely getting a sniff on day one)

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Nope.

and I dont care how many collaborators he has in on decisions. at the end of the day, if your NAME is listed as the GM you are the one responsible for things.

Having said that, like I said. I'm not going to praise him or blast him just days before the draft, because to be honest I dont have the FIRST ****ing clue what this club is going to do this coming weekend.. I'm not always right, but at least I usually have an idea of how things will go down, and this year I dont have the first clue in the world.

I expect them to be very active, either via trade for Turner/Briggs- moving up on board, or moving down. I will be shocked if they stand pat with all their draft picks and though I am hopeful we get guys I'm hoping for, I'm realistically expecting to be hugely dissapointed (which equates to Pos or Hall in round one and a cornerback in round two- with offense barely getting a sniff on day one)

so you already had an opinion but deicided to hold off depending on what they do to save yourself from having to flipflop?

Neggie Nancy
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
NO, I dont have an opinion because I havent seen draft weekend unfold yet.. I have an opinion on what I THINK is going to happen, but that doesnt mean a thing until/if it does..

And as far as you and your flip-flop theory; Because you have an opinion at one time on something doesnt mean it can't change.. In January of 2005 I thought Mularkey was a great coach in this league.. 7 games into the '05 season I would've hired a hitman if I had the money to take him out..

Is that a flip flop? Things and scenarios change.. I"d rather flip flop than to just agree with everything "positive" and never have an opinion at all. (not saying you specifically either)

jamesiscool
04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
so you already had an opinion but deicided to hold off depending on what they do to save yourself from having to flipflop?

NOTICE - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE: This is the holy grail of Bills forums. We talk about the Bills and the NFL in here. If you can not post without personal insults, getting off-topic, posting expressly to incite other posters, and repeatedly posting the same crap over and over, you may be restricted from posting in this forum without notice. We have rededicated ourselves to policing this forum with a vengeance. If you feel the need to slam others or talk smack, we have other forums available for exactly that purpose. Remember, you are not bigger than the Buffalo Bills. Let's talk football!

come on man..... im usually with u here but its goin a lil nuts...

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
NOTICE - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE: This is the holy grail of Bills forums. We talk about the Bills and the NFL in here. If you can not post without personal insults, getting off-topic, posting expressly to incite other posters, and repeatedly posting the same crap over and over, you may be restricted from posting in this forum without notice. We have rededicated ourselves to policing this forum with a vengeance. If you feel the need to slam others or talk smack, we have other forums available for exactly that purpose. Remember, you are not bigger than the Buffalo Bills. Let's talk football!

come on man..... im usually with u here but its goin a lil nuts...ok . went overboard with the ff word. But if I said he already had an opinion and will change it, after the draft, would that be better?

justasportsfan
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
NO, I dont have an opinion because I havent seen draft weekend unfold yet.. I have an opinion on what I THINK is going to happen, but that doesnt mean a thing until/if it does..

And as far as you and your flip-flop theory; Because you have an opinion at one time on something doesnt mean it can't change.. In January of 2005 I thought Mularkey was a great coach in this league.. 7 games into the '05 season I would've hired a hitman if I had the money to take him out..

Is that a flip flop? Things and scenarios change.. I"d rather flip flop than to just agree with everything "positive" and never have an opinion at all. (not saying you specifically either)
I though you did when you said this .

Nevermind..NOt gonna dis Marv until I see what we do with the draft.)

All I implied with my first post is that he isn't a Nazzi GM even when it comes to drafting.

X-Era
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Roland Williams- Syracuse

Tatonka
04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
take a look at the top rushing teams in the league.. the chargers, giants, falcons, chiefs..

what do they all have in common.

mikemac2001
04-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Roland Williams (who owes me 1,000 dollars from madden tourny guy never paid)
Ernie Conwell

named 2

Tatonka
04-24-2007, 07:40 PM
let me answer that for you.

they all have great tight ends..

having a good tight end helps spread the defense out and keeps 8 out of the box.

now i hear your concern about the rams offense and fairchild.. but i dont think we have the rams offense.. and i dont think we are going to even if they could.. i think that fairchild is going to try and run the ball more.. it is not like he was calling the plays for the rams.

mikemac2001
04-24-2007, 07:43 PM
let me answer that for you.

they all have great tight ends..

having a good tight end helps spread the defense out and keeps 8 out of the box.

now i hear your concern about the rams offense and fairchild.. but i dont think we have the rams offense.. and i dont think we are going to even if they could.. i think that fairchild is going to try and run the ball more.. it is not like he was calling the plays for the rams.

Correct he is using the scheme and tweaking it to his preferences and the team strengths...were not greatest show on turf