PDA

View Full Version : Bills must help Losman

Ed
04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2847445&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3djoyner_kc%26id%3d2847445

Tony (Rochester, NY): Hey, KC, I've been wondering about J.P. Losman. What were his 2006 metrics like? What's your analysis of his play last year?

When he threw long passes, Losman was one of the most dominant quarterbacks in the league. His 21.2 YPA on bomb passes (passes thrown 30+ yards downfield) was the fifth best in the NFL. His 52.0 percent success rate on deep passes (20-29 yards) was the seventh best in the league among quarterbacks with at least 20 deep pass attempts, so he was very efficient as well. Losman's deep and bomb pass numbers look even better when you consider he had only one bad decision on passes at those depth levels.

Anyone have ESPN Insider? I'm curious if there's anymore Bills related info.

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 06:30 PM
To finish what you started

Where Losman got in trouble last year was on short and medium passes. His 7.3 YPA on medium passes was tied for the seventh lowest mark in the league. Losman had seven bad decisions each in short and medium passes last year. The combined total of 14 bad decisions at those depth levels tied him with Carson Palmer for the highest total of short/medium bad decisions.

I think the Bills need to realize they have a gunslinging quarterback who will probably never be an efficient player. If the Bills want to get the most out of him, I think they need to open up their passing offense and take the good with the bad. It worked for Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers during their Super Bowl run two years ago, and it could work for Buffalo.

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 06:30 PM
And there's nothing else about the Bills.

Ed
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
What does YPA stand for?

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Yard Per Attempt.

Typ0
04-24-2007, 06:36 PM
when did the nfl start tracking "bad decisions" as a metric and who makes the call what is a bad decision?

Ed
04-24-2007, 06:44 PM
when did the nfl start tracking "bad decisions" as a metric and who makes the call what is a bad decision?
Yeah, I don't really understand how Joyner grades players, that's why I thought YPA might be something different.

ddaryl
04-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I guess what irks me some is that they don't even hint at the possibility that JP will get better in the short game with experience.

Nor do they mention that this will be JP's 1st season of play where he will have the same Offensive coordinator/system/QB coach.

and of course this is also a reason why its hard to take much of the media too seriously since they never seem to realize or comment on many of the intangibles

YardRat
04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
I think they need to open up their passing offense and take the good with the bad. It worked for Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers during their Super Bowl run two years ago

What the hell is that? Funny...I don't remember Big Ben being much of a gunslinger during that run.

I think the Bills need to realize they have a gunslinging quarterback who will probably never be an efficient player.

I've been groaned and negged for making comments like that around here, even though I clarify by stating if the team is winning games, it's OK with me.

ddaryl
04-24-2007, 07:33 PM
I've been groaned and negged for making comments like that around here, even though I clarify by stating if the team is winning games, it's OK with me.

I never negged ya for this, but I still believe JP is going to round out his game over the next few years. I expect him to improve some more this year. JP just won't be a stud probowler as quick as many impatient Bills fans want him to be.

Personally I see a lot of things in JP that tell me he'll get it, the light bulb will get brighter and he will be noticed as solid NFL QB in time. Unfortunately being a Bills fan has made most all of us too impatient, and we all wanted the stud QB yesterday.

I feel better about our QB position than I have since Bledsoes 1st half season with the Bills and before that Jimbo.

All that being said I do like having a QB with gunslinger ability.

Tatonka
04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
:rofl: yardrat.

Tatonka
04-24-2007, 07:54 PM
the other funny thing is that this guy has concluded that with lee as the only real threat currently, jp has reached his potential... he is a gun slinger and cant get any better..

even though his completion percentage and qb rating shot through the roof already between half a year starting and then getting a full year last year.

whatever..

Philagape
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
the other funny thing is that this guy has concluded that with lee as the only real threat currently, jp has reached his potential... he is a gun slinger and cant get any better..

even though his completion percentage and qb rating shot through the roof already between half a year starting and then getting a full year last year.

whatever..

Yeah, I don't see how 62.5 percent is not efficient. Just as an example of another "gunslinger," Drew Bledsoe NEVER had a percentage that high.

realdealryan
04-24-2007, 08:24 PM

The pick that went back for a TD in Houston = bad decision, obviously

A few interceptions that opposing defenders dropped = bad decision? I think so, but the article cites 14 bad decisions last year, and he had 14 picks. So what about the pick he threw where his throw was interfered with by a lineman running into him (Jags game, I think) and Robert Royal stole it back? Bad decision, no. Bad circumstance followed by brilliant play? Yes.