PDA

View Full Version : Bills have spoken to Chiefs about LJ

BILLSROCK1212
04-24-2007, 08:14 PM
POSTED 7:26 p.m. EDT, April 24, 2007

CHIEFS SHOPPING L.J.

A day after reporting that Chiefs running back Larry Johnson doesn't appear to be on the trading block, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Chiefs are indeed shopping the four-year pro.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs have spoken with the Browns, Packers, Titans, Bills and possibly others. To date, the Chiefs haven't gotten close to a deal.

A Chiefs official told Schefter that the team hasn't engaged in "specific" trade talks, but Schefter properly (we believe) discounts the claim as a product of semantics. The Chiefs can't afford to have the quietly temperamental Johnson go T.O. on the team, so any trade effort must be done discreetly.

The biggest impediment to getting a deal done, as Schefter explains, is the money it would take to sign Johnson to a long-term deal. Schefter says that Johnson wants a deal worth more than the eight-year, $60 million package received by Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson two years ago.

In our view, too much has to happen too quickly for a trade to happen before the draft. And given the prevailing thought in league circles that running backs are largely interchangeable, a team in need would be better off making a play for L.T.'s backup, Michael Turner.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I bet the Chiefs just asked the Bills have they were interested in a trade and nothing more.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
LJ is damn good but he's not worth more than Tomlinson. LT is clearly the best in the game right now and will go down as one of the best in history.

I can't even believe the Chiefs are serious about this, but either way I doubt the Bills will pay their asking price.

RedEyE
04-24-2007, 08:32 PM
No way buffalo pays that kind of money for a RB.

camelcowboy
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
LJ is damn good but he's not worth more than Tomlinson. LT is clearly the best in the game right now and will go down as one of the best in history.

I can't even believe the Chiefs are serious about this, but either way I doubt the Bills will pay their asking price.

pretty close to LT in my mind. I'd say number 2 in the league. I can't see a trade being done before the draft for any team. Chiefs started these talks way too late. I doubt theres enough time to work out a contract.

Bill Brasky
04-24-2007, 09:01 PM
no way they pay that for a guy nearing the end... rb's don't last much past 30. i don't see the bills "appropriating" that type of money to a guy with 3, maybe 4 good years left.

plus, i thought this organization is hell-bent on "character" guys. seems like everything i've heard from chiefs fans and the media is that this guy is a "T.O." type... not exactly the "character" marv looks for.

ZacGriffi~82
04-24-2007, 09:03 PM
RBs do last long past 30 when they've played 2 real seasons.

YardRat
04-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I bet the Chiefs just asked the Bills have they were interested in a trade and nothing more.

I bet you're right.

Bill Brasky
04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
RBs do last long past 30 when they've played 2 real seasons.

they don't when they basically carry their offense. look at jamal lewis. he's either 27 or 28 and his career is basically over.

feelthepain
04-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Be ready to give that arm and leg, cause that's what it will cost.

Ed
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
It makes sense that the Bills would at least speak to the Chiefs about LJ, we are one of the teams in most need of a RB. It would be stupid if we didn't at least explore all of our options, but I doubt the conversation went very far.

Huge money and multiple draft picks for a RB that will turn 28 this year and has been rumored to rub people the wrong way is just not in our best interest right now.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 09:55 PM
It makes sense that the Bills would at least speak to the Chiefs about LJ, we are one of the teams in most need of a RB. It would be stupid if we didn't at least explore all of our options, but I doubt the conversation went very far.

Exactly

KCGM: Hey Marv, how would you like to land Larry Johnson?
Marv: Well, we do need an RB. What's the situation?
KC: We'd need 2-3 first day draft picks between 07 and 08. Oh, and he wants 60 million over 4 years.
Marv: (choke). Let me see what we can work out and I'll give you a call back. (click)

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Did you know that: "A Man A Plan A Canal Panama" spelled backwards is the same.

ublinkwescore
04-24-2007, 10:21 PM

I was not aware of that... No.

gr8slayer
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I was not aware of that... No.
Pretty amazing isn't it?

clumping platelets
04-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Too much

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Did you know that "Huge Ego, Sorry" is an anagram (uses same letters) for "Gregory House?" From last night's episode.

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Did you know that "Huge Ego, Sorry" is an anagram (uses same letters) for "Gregory House?" From last night's episode.
Excellent observation Slim.

Pinkerton Security
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
they don't when they basically carry their offense. look at jamal lewis. he's either 27 or 28 and his career is basically over.

career carries for Jamal: 1822
career carries for LJ: 892

This guy is the 2nd best RB in the league. I guess his asking price, as well as the Chiefs, is probably too high, it is sooooo tempting though. Imagine JP with a real running game.

Also, as far as his asking price, it is justifiable, especially since the changes with the cap since LT signed that contract they spoke of.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Can you imagine how many yards LJ would run for behind the left side of this line?

Never gonna happen though..

I'd say Dallas and the Giants would become the most likely suitors, SHOULD talks ever get serious.