Sportsuser101
04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
DE Schobel - Kelsay - Hargrove
DT Tripplett - McCargo - Williams
OLB Crowell - Ellison
ILB Willis (if we draft him)
CB McGee - Youboty - Thomas
S Whitner - Simpson

Just never realized how young we are defensively.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 08:30 PM
yeah it's kinda scary. Youboty/Thomas are gonna get lit up like a pinball machine, and the LB situation is dire. The DL has Walker plus the same crap as last year. The only positions on D where we're solid is S and Schobel's DE spot.

casdhf
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Thomas and Tripplet are 30, I think

Sportsuser101
04-24-2007, 08:33 PM
yeah it's kinda scary. Youboty/Thomas are gonna get lit up like a pinball machine, and the LB situation is dire. The DL has Walker plus the same crap as last year. The only positions on D where we're solid is S and Schobel's DE spot.

Forgot about Walker. Yeah I like Crowell and Ellison and Willis would be a nice addition especially for our scheme. McGee isn't a #2 CB let alone a #1 and Youboty right now is a #3. Thomas is a decent #3 but more of a #4. To be honest I would rather have young guys flying around and developing rather then watching vets clog up spots just based on seniority.

Sportsuser101
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM

Tripplett is 28 but yeah you look at basically the main players on defense and they're all in there low to mid 20s. I would have to think that we have the youngest defense in the NFL.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Forgot about Walker. Yeah I like Crowell and Ellison and Willis would be a nice addition especially for our scheme. McGee isn't a #2 CB let alone a #1 and Youboty right now is a #3. Thomas is a decent #3 but more of a #4. To be honest I would rather have young guys flying around and developing rather then watching vets clog up spots just based on seniority.

well, there is a 3rd option- vets clogging up spots because they've proven they can handle it.

McGee showed a lot of promise in 05 but last year was a huge setback.

I like Crowell- I'm not sold on Ellison yet but I'll admit he has potential.

Statman
04-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Tripplett's only 28. Thomas is 30 and Schobel's no spring chicken either at 30.

OpIv37
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Tripplett's only 28. Thomas is 30 and Schobel's no spring chicken either at 30.

I think the point is that there is very little leadership or experience on this team. Despite Thomas' age, he has 0 career interceptions and hasn't been a consistent starter. Schobel doesn't really demonstrate leadership qualities and Tripplett, yeah, Tripplett....

Most teams have someone in the LB or S spot who is the "quarterback" of the D. For us, it used to be Fletcher, Vincent and to a lesser extent Spikes. In the SB days, it was Talley.... right now, we don't even have anyone who could fill that role. Even if Schobel took on the leader role, it's a little hard to see the offensive set from a 3 or 4 point stance with a 300 lb offensive tackle crouched in front of you.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Pizza and beer pickup = Denney, Anderson

G. Host
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
DE Schobel - Kelsay - Hargrove
DT Tripplett - McCargo - Williams
OLB Crowell - Ellison
ILB Willis (if we draft him)
CB McGee - Youboty - Thomas
S Whitner - Simpson

Just never realized how young we are defensively.
Did you drop Denney's and others' names because they are older?

M
04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Youboty/Thomas are gonna get lit up like a pinball machine,

That's not nice but it's funny. :bad: