PDA

View Full Version : Bills could likely acquire Chiefs' Johnson for fair price

Don't Panic
04-25-2007, 04:35 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills-couldacquire-larryjohnson250407.html

Given his all-world credentials, it won't be easy for the Bills to pluck Johnson from the Chiefs' roster. One thing the teams would no doubt look to is the 2002 Ricky Williams trade between the <ACRONYM title="New Orleans Saints News">New Orleans Saints</ACRONYM> and <ACRONYM title="Miami Dolphins News">Miami Dolphins</ACRONYM> . That deal saw Miami send its '02 first-rounder and an '03 third-rounder (which would have become a first-round pick had Williams accumulated over 1,500 rushing yards during the season) to the Saints. Ultimately, the 228-pounder fell short of the 1,500-yard mark, gaining 1,372, so the price the Dolphins ended up paying wasn't exorbitant.
Buffalo -- which has another major need at the linebacker position -- can ill afford to simply surrender its first-rounder (12th overall) straight up this year for Johnson. However, what G.M. Marv Levy could do is send the Bills' 12th pick (where the Chiefs could draft ex-Cal RB Marshawn Lynch), one of the team's two third-round choices (either No. 74 overall or the 92nd selection), and a conditional first-day pick in '08 to Kansas City for its first-rounder this year (No. 23) and Johnson.
In all honesty, that deal would be fair both sides. The Chiefs would lose Johnson and come away with three day-one draft picks in the next two years, and the Bills would receive arguably the game's second-best RB and could still grab a good linebacker in the first round, 11 picks later than they'd be able to now.

That's a deal I'd be willing to do... we could still have a shot at a guy like Beason (or Timmons) and the Chiefs would be able to get fair compensation, possibly earning a 1st next year if LJ blows it up again. Beason + LJ is better than any of the LB/RB combos we've seen proposed yet... even Briggs/Turner.

Night Train
04-25-2007, 04:43 AM
And oh, by the way, Johnson just happens to want a new huge contract in the 50-80 Mil range.

We now return to planet earth.

alohabillsfan
04-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Screw all of these trades draft a dam RB!

don137
04-25-2007, 05:36 AM
A running back has a short life in the NFL due to wear and tear. I am reluctant to trade for any running back for three draft picks. I know there has been exceptions like Faulk but between the rich contract he wants and giving up multiple draft pickswhen the Bills need every pick it needs to fill holes I rather take Lynch over trading for Johnson.

Don't Panic
04-25-2007, 06:03 AM
I have to admit that I'm a little reluctant on LJ as well, but I think its crazy to not want to see someone of his caliber considered here. Barring injury, he has at least 5 good years left in him, he has proven himself as a top 3 back in the NFL, he's not a risk (which Marshawn Lynch most certainly is), and he might be had at what must be considered a reasonable price. How those factors can be so quickly dismissed is beyond me. If he plays even to 90% of what he's been for the last few years... do you have any idea how much pressure that takes off Losman? We have a line that should excel at run blocking, which means there should be no drop off in productivity. I don't care if we only get 3 good years out of him... that's a 3 year window to win a Super Bowl.

Night Train
04-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I rather take Lynch over trading for Johnson.

I would agree with that.

I understand the marketing/name angle, in addition to the very real talent named Larry Johnson but it seems the cap budget would be blown out of the water for guys like Larry Johnson or Lance Briggs. Anyone remotely near FA wants their big payday like many received in March.

While you can backload a lot of the contract (which they would never see) the upfront signing bonus $$ would still make it too expensive.

YardRat
04-25-2007, 06:10 AM
No thank you...I'll take my chances in the draft.

Carlton Bailey
04-25-2007, 06:24 AM
The draft?? Come on. Larry Johnson is, without doubt, the second best RB in the game, but you'd rather take an unproven rookie? I don't understand the thinking. And for those worried about Johnson's wear and tear, he's a four-year veteran but only has 950 career carries, which is under 300 per season. That's fine.

Bring him in but lighten his workload a bit to preserve him. Cut down, like, 50 carries per year.

Buffalo Sabres
04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
And oh, by the way, Johnson just happens to want a new huge contract in the 50-80 Mil range.

We now return to planet earth.
paying 8 mil to a guy like nate is one thing, but paying 10 mil a year to a guy that will be touching the ball 30+ times a game is 10000000000000000x different (oh yeah how long did we pay Moulds 10 mil a year?)