PDA

View Full Version : Redskins want Schobel??

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Washington Post (scroll down) (registration required): "There are a handful of players around the league who received the franchise tag who could be trade material, although sources said the Redskins have not contacted representatives for franchised linemen Cory Redding (Detroit), Charles Grant (New Orleans) or Justin Smith (Cincinnati) to this point. Other pass-rushing defensive ends could become available as well, with Oakland's Derrick Burgess and Buffalo's Aaron Schobel -- who has strong ties to assistant head coach Gregg Williams -- both underpaid by current standards and likely seeking new contracts this offseason."

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Great.

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Just someone talkin' :bs:

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
They can have him for their first and seventh since they don't have a second, third, or forth :snicker:

njsue
Must be Daniel Snyder talking crappola.:roflmao:

TacklingDummy
Schobel and a 3rd for Washingtons 6th pick "if" AP is still on the board.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Other pass-rushing defensive ends could become available as well, with Oakland's Derrick Burgess and Buffalo's Aaron Schobel -- who has strong ties to assistant head coach Gregg Williams -- both underpaid by current standards and likely seeking new contracts this offseason

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042402340.html

First, I don't know if this has any credibility or if it's just pure speculation. My guess is that it's speculation. However, it does make sense. There is no logical reason why Schobel should accept less money than Kelsay when he has almost 3x the production.

Second, this could be a sign of a disturbing unintended consequence of the salary cap shooting up. Players who signed contracts in the slower 2005 and 2006 off-seasons are now making less than inferior players who signed this year. There was already an article about Fanaca wanting more money based on what the Bills gave Dockery- the holdout may become more commonplace instead of just the tool of the disgruntled prima donna Rosenhaus client.

For the Bills, this could mean trouble for Schobel, Evans, Peters, and maybe Crowell and Losman depending on how they play this year.

The NFL is becoming a "win now" league cuz it's damn near impossible to keep a team together.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
The Hell with that..

They better not trade Schobel.. He's far and away the best defensive player we have.

That aint happening.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
LOL.

Here we go..

Sooner or later it was coming.. Do you expect him to not want (and soon) a new contract, after Kelsay got that kind of money?

I dont think (hope) this becomes an issue.. This year.. Last thing this team needs.

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Already posted http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=125280

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
what website does the article writer post in?

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
It would be STOOPID to trade are only REAL pass rusher

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Could eventually be another HOLE that people here will blame the FO for.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
It would be STOOPID to trade are only REAL pass rusher

The problem is the Bills just gave more money to Kelsay. Might as well trade Schobel before he becomes a problem and while we can get something for him.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Oops- didn't see TD's thread- mods please merge

bigbub2352
04-25-2007, 09:09 AM
I think they give him a 3 yr ext, they are not trading Schobel, two many holes to fill this year

gr8slayer
I'm scared to know what Schobel will want after the money we've been paying everyone else.

OpIv37
what website does the article writer post in?

the article was in the Washington Post- not some garden variety fan boy blog.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Could eventually be another HOLE that people here will blame the FO for.

yeah, why would we blame the FO for overpaying Kelsay? That MUST be someone else's fault....

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:11 AM
The problem is the Bills just gave more money to Kelsay. Might as well trade Schobel before he becomes a problem and while we can get something for him.
If we fans already thought of that, I'm sure the FO realizes the snowball effect of paying not only Kelsay but Dockery as well. You know that Peters is gonna want more $$ if he has a probowl like year.

Ralphy Boy was right all along.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
yeah, why would we blame the FO for overpaying Kelsay? That MUST be someone else's fault....
You mean the FO was the one who pushed for the new CBA? If so, you're right. They created that whole :rolleyes:

HAMMER
04-25-2007, 09:14 AM
He was just resigned, you don't just up a player because he wants you to, relax.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:15 AM
He was just resigned, you don't just up a player because he wants you to, relax.

what if he holds out?

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:16 AM

He could pull a TO.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:17 AM
You mean the FO was the one who pushed for the new CBA? If so, you're right. They created that whole :rolleyes:

The CBA may have been the deciding factor as to how much guys like Kelsay would cost, but there was nothing in the CBA that REQUIRED the Bills to re-sign Kelsay. That was the FO's decision alone, and they did it knowing full well that it limits our ability at other positions and may upset Schobel.

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Why not just sign him to an extension?

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:19 AM
the article was in the Washington Post- not some garden variety fan boy blog.
So what? We thought of that here on BZ the day Kelsay's contract was known. NO big deal. Unless it was from SAchobel himself it's just another thought that happened to be printed on a newspaper that we already knew long way before it got printed.

TacklingDummy
Why not just sign him to an extension?

Along with JP and Evans?

Where the Bills going to get all this cash?

clumping platelets
and they did it knowing full well that it limits our ability at other positions

:huh:

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Along with JP and Evans?

Their ass :idunno:

Earthquake Enyart
Schobel just got a big contract. He's not underpaid.

justasportsfan
The CBA may have been the deciding factor as to how much guys like Kelsay would cost, but there was nothing in the CBA that REQUIRED the Bills to re-sign Kelsay. That was the FO's decision alone, and they did it knowing full well that it limits our ability at other positions and may upset Schobel.
Kelsay would've made more money than Schobel whether or not we overpaid him. Their agents are not stupid. They know what the CBA is all about.

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Maybe a contract but I don't know about big.

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Along with JP and Evans?

Review who our top FAs are after the season and get back to me?

JJamezz
04-25-2007, 09:22 AM
what if he holds out?

Schobel REALLY doesn't strike me as that type of guy...

Not sure why people are getting worked up over this though, you can tell from the wording of the article that its pure speculation.

Who's gonna want a 243 lb. DE anyway? :;

Jan Reimers
04-25-2007, 09:23 AM
what if he holds out?
Aren't we all overreacting a bit?

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Op overreact? Never!

justasportsfan
Not sure why people are getting worked up over this though, you can tell from the wording of the article that its pure speculation.

Consider who you quoted. If Coy Wire broke a finger nail that would be a new HOLE and the sky would be falling in his world.

clumping platelets

:goodpost:

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 09:25 AM
:movie:

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Review who our top FAs are after the season and get back to me?

You don't think what the Bills might have to spend in 2 years could effect what they have to spend next year?

madness
04-25-2007, 09:27 AM

A bit? :anvil:

clumping platelets
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Bills have NO major UFAs after 2007..........Bills can use "Cash to Cap" in 2007 & 2008 in order to re-sign or extend.........

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Bills have NO major UFAs after 2007..........Bills can use "Cash to Cap" in 2007 & 2008 in order to re-sign or extend.........
Can't Evans opt out of his contract?

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
what if he holds out?

I'm really hoping that Pitt doesnt move Faneca. that would set a bad precedent.

casdhf
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
"both underpaid by current standards and likely seeking new contracts this offseason"

That doesn't mean anything to me, it's pure opinion.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Can't Evans opt out of his contract?

I believe he is signed till 2009 but he can void the final year. Making it possible for Lee to be a holdout in 2008.

I could be wrong.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM

yeah. I mean, no one ever gets pissed if someone doing the same job as them gets more money for 1/3 of the results. And it's not like it's already happening with Fanaca or anything....

like it or not, this is a realistic possibility.

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I believe he is signed till 2009 but he can void the final year. Making it possible for Lee to be a holdout in 2008.
Thank you for clarifying.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
I'd trade schobel now while he's hot, he is broaching 30. Our second round pick plus schobel for the 6th overall. Draft peterson or Anderson then trade down the twelve pick for a backer and a extra second. I love schobel but the thought of trading him doesn't anger me.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM

not by 2006 standards, but he is by 2007 standards. Once again, if your company opened up another position that is the same as yours, but paid some guy with half your resume 30 grand a year more than they pay you, how are you gonna take it?

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd trade schobel now while he's hot, he is broacing 30. Our second round pick plus schobel for the 6th overall. Draft peterson or Anderson then trade down the twelve pick for a backer and a extra second. I love schobel but the thought of trading him doesn't anger me.

you're nuts. He's the only proven, consistent player we have on our entire D right now.

Earthquake Enyart
04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
If it was me, I signed the contract and would have to live with it.

He had his chance to say no and hit the market. He chose to take what the Bills gave him.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Kelsay would've made more money than Schobel whether or not we overpaid him. Their agents are not stupid. They know what the CBA is all about.

so let someone else overpay him. Denney has better numbers anyway.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:38 AM
you're nuts. He's the only proven, consistent player we have on our entire D right now.

I disagree. He's proven yes. Consistent, no. He disappears faster than Stampy after losing a bet with BillsIN05.

I'd have no problem if the Bills traded him for Washington's 6th pick.

OpIv37
If it was me, I signed the contract and would have to live with it.

He had his chance to say no and hit the market. He chose to take what the Bills gave him.

I agree but when there's millions of dollars at stake, I doubt he or his agent will see it that way.

justasportsfan
not by 2006 standards, but he is by 2007 standards. Once again, if your company opened up another position that is the same as yours, but paid some guy with half your resume 30 grand a year more than they pay you, how are you gonna take it? Schobel is part of the CBA. He must've signed it. So he knew it was comng. Why the hell will he be pissed? If anything , it should make him happy because he can eventually have a bigger payday than the contract he just signed.You can't tell me he didn't know that Kelsay was gonna get paid more because of the new CBA. These guys are informed by their agents. Cmon OP , a little common sense please.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I disagree. He's proven yes. Consistent, no. He disappears faster than Stampy after losing a bet with BillsIN05.

I'd have no problem if the Bills traded him.

well, I'm talking consistent based on Bills standards, not general NFL standards. The rest of our guys are either 2nd year players or guys with records even spottier than Schobel's.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Schobel is part of the CBA. He must've signed it. So he knew it was comng. Why the hell will he be pissed? If anything , it should make him happy because he can eventually have a bigger payday than the contract he just signed. Cmon OP , a little common sense please.

"eventually" assumes he'll never get hurt. These guys have limited careers and their agents know they have to maximize their value while they can still play. A little common sense, please.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
so let someone else overpay him. Denney has better numbers anyway.

I wasn't talking about overpaying him. That's a matter of opinion. My point is that everyone knows Kelsay would've gotten more than Schobel.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
My point is that everyone knows Kelsay would've gotten more than Schobel.

sarcasm?

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:44 AM
"eventually" assumes he'll never get hurt. These guys have limited careers and their agents know they have to maximize their value while they can still play. A little common sense, please.
He signed a contract he was happy with. this is just getting stupid.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM

So did TO. That didn't stop TO from getting more money from Dallas.

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2007, 09:49 AM
It's amazing how the "what if's" become so important when they are possible negatives, but any that could be positive are looked at as overly optimistic. This was a speculative little report by a writer in another city and Schobel is already holding out or getting traded.
I understand why some Bills fans are so defensive, but this is getting old.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM

the key word is WAS. Just because he was happy with it before doesn't mean he's going to bhe happy with it NOW.

TKO signed a contract that he WAS happy with, but then he wanted out and you said that was a good reason to move him. So, by your own admission, being happy with a contract at the time it was signed does NOT mean the player will be happy with it for the duration.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:53 AM
This was a speculative little report by a writer in another city and Schobel is already holding out or getting traded.

Nuff said. And who better than to overreact? Our resident Whiner.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Nuff said. And who better than to overreact? Our resident Whiner.

:offtopic:

NOTICE - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE: This is the holy grail of Bills forums. We talk about the Bills and the NFL in here. If you can not post without personal insults, getting off-topic, posting expressly to incite other posters, and repeatedly posting the same crap over and over, you may be restricted from posting in this forum without notice.

:lmao: just kidding.

Now back to the thread.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 09:57 AM
So did TO. That didn't stop TO from getting more money from Dallas.
You're comparing TO to Schobel : :huh: That's so wrong on many levels.

Go ahead and overt think about this all youwant. I already gave you enough zonebucks by wasting my time on what could be. Right now I'll deal with the 2007 draft after all it is 2007. I'll worry about it when 2008 comes. Besides, I'm more worried about losing Evans or JP (if he gets better) than losing Schobel.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 10:02 AM
You're comparing TO to Schobel : :huh: That's so wrong on many levels.

Right now I'll deal with the 2007 draft after all it is 2007. I'll worry about it when 2008 comes. Besides, I'm more worried about losing Evans or JP (if he gets better) than losing Schobel.

Not really comparing TO to Schobel. I brought up TO to show that if a player whines and cries enough he can get out of a contract he signed a year ago.

I agree with the second part. That's why re-doing Schobel contract is probably not an option. "IF" JP deserves an extension next year so will Lee. And they would be far more important than Schobel.

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2007, 10:09 AM
the key word is WAS. Just because he was happy with it before doesn't mean he's going to bhe happy with it NOW.

TKO signed a contract that he WAS happy with, but then he wanted out and you said that was a good reason to move him. So, by your own admission, being happy with a contract at the time it was signed does NOT mean the player will be happy with it for the duration.

...and neither can a conclusion be made that he is unhappy with it.

Spikes wasn't unhappy with his contract, he was unhappy with the changes on defense. He wasn't in the plans and he knew it.

Half empty....half full....whatever.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
The CBA has changed the NFL and this is one of the issues that will come up

We can ignore it or we can prepare for it- take your pick.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 10:35 AM
you're nuts. He's the only proven, consistent player we have on our entire D right now. Kelsay, Denny, and Hargrove can hold the fort by trading schobel this offseason we would get the best value from him. We could fill other weaker positions.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Kelsay, Denny, and Hargrove can hold the fort by trading schobel this offseason we would get the best value from him. We could fill other weaker positions.

Trade Schobel/3rd to Washington and draft Gaines Adams.
Trade 12th pick to Bears for Briggs
Trade 2nd round pick to Chargers for Turner.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Trade Schobel/3rd to Washington and draft Gaines Adams.
Trade 12th pick to Bears for Briggs
Trade 2nd round pick to Chargers for Turner.

That would be expensive but it would make us instant contenders.

wbat27
04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
The entire cap went up and so did all the new contracts that will be signed in the future. In three or four years the contracts signed this year will look afordable

Coach Sal
04-25-2007, 11:08 AM
If the Skins make a deal, it will be to land more draft picks, not less.

They have no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounders (wow). They pick 6th.....then not again until 143.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Kelsay, Denny, and Hargrove can hold the fort by trading schobel this offseason we would get the best value from him. We could fill other weaker positions.

Schobel had more sacks than all of them combined.

bledslow
04-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Bills better do all they can to keep him,he's there last and only good player on defense(imho). --

He would look great in a pats uniform,chasing down whoever is going to be buffalos quarterback next year

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Oops- didn't see TD's thread- mods please merge
please merge all 3.

jamze132
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Schobel and a 3rd for Washingtons 6th pick "if" AP is still on the board.
Or with the 6th, we could just replace Schobel with Gaines Adams. we can still get a RB in the 2nd, maybe even Turner.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Schobel isnt going to Washington, at least not involving this year's draft picks.

Christ, they only have 1 pick in the top 142.. If they trade out of six it will be with Miami (quinn) or Buffalo (ap)

alohabillsfan
04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Holy Crap, Schobel just hired Rosenduch as his agent and a moving truck just pulled into his driveway, were doomed! :candle:

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:19 PM
If the Bills were to traded Schobel before the draft, and there is no chance in hell they will if they plan on having any fans show up to the games this year..

IT wouldnt be to a team like Washington, it would be to a team like SF, that has like 8 picks on day one that could afford to toss some of them out there.

jamze132
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Schobel isnt going to Washington, at least not involving this year's draft picks.

Christ, they only have 1 pick in the top 142.. If they trade out of six it will be with Miami (quinn) or Buffalo (ap)
I do agree that there is no way Washington can afford to trade picks this year. After there 1st pick this year, they have nothing until day 2.

Stewie
04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042402340.html

First, I don't know if this has any credibility or if it's just pure speculation. My guess is that it's speculation. However, it does make sense. There is no logical reason why Schobel should accept less money than Kelsay when he has almost 3x the production.

How about: he signed the contract.

Is that logical enough?

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
How about: he signed the contract.

Is that logical enough?
yeah cuz no NFL player has ever held out or been upset about a contract they previously signed :rolleyes:

When he has the opportunity to make millions, his previous contract will mean little or nothing.

Bert102176
04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
excuse me for a moment WHO don't the Redskins want

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 02:59 PM

that's exactly why there's a cap- if there wasn't, that team has enough money to get whoever they want.

TacklingDummy
04-25-2007, 10:34 PM

They'll want Lee next year.

clumping platelets
04-26-2007, 01:41 AM
:movie: