PDA

View Full Version : WTF.. Now Denver is trying to get WIllis

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 10:53 AM
From Homer Brown:

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

DENVER TO SWAP SPOTS WITH HOUSTON?: I've heard from a couple of different sources now that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be calling his former offensive coordinator in Houston this weekend in an attempt to move up from 21 to 10 in round one. He apparently wants Patrick Willis now that Al Wilson has been officially released. Being one spot ahead of San Fran and two spots ahead of Buffalo would pretty much guarantee they'd get Willis.
I like Willis a lot, but I think swapping firsts and giving up their second and third (what it would take) is too steep for one guy, especially when they have big defensive line needs. Shanahan is known as a wheeler dealer on draft weekend, but I just don't see this one happening. I know it's a thin year for LB talent, but if he stays at 21 he should be able to get one of the top 5 LBs in the draft or one of the top 5 DEs.
--- =====================================================
DOnt know about all of this, but one thing is becoming obvious.. Willis is the clear cut number one LB in this draft, and he's not going to just sit there til 12th.. Whether its Buffalo, Denver, Pittsburgh or someone else.. I'm thinking that whomever moves into the 10th spot is going to get him. Houston has no secound rounder Im sure they are dying to move down.

Yasgur's Farm
04-25-2007, 11:06 AM
That move may be just what's needed to have Peterson drop to us. Many mocks have Houston taking him.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
That move may be just what's needed to have Peterson drop to us. Many mocks have Houston taking him.

If you want Peterson you would have to trade to 6-7 because another team lower then us will trade up or minnisota, atlanta, will grab him.

With Kubiak and Shannahan relationship and the texans need to recoup the second rounder since the schaub deal. This rumor may be more then just smoke.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I dont think it would effect AP's standing at all. Honestly, I'd be shocked if Cleveland just doesnt take him at 3.. and he wont get past Minnesota at 7 at the latest.

I dont know how true the Denver report is, but I DO NOT think WIllis is on the board at 12 anymore, so we'll have to move up 2 spots to secure him.

M
04-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Maybe this just be more of the smoke-screening crap we've been seeing for the past couple of days??

Yasgur's Farm
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
In most mocks... Minnesota and Houston are the 2 teams who are consistantly projected to take Peterson. Any way you look at it... If Houston is removed as a possibility, the odds go up that he drops.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
so was that Spikes trade still a good idea?

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
so was that Spikes trade still a good idea? I'll answer that sunday, but as of today yep.

gr8slayer
04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Is there anyone that Denver isn't trying to get?

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I'll bet some cash Denver doesnt pick at #21 come Saturday..

I have no clue what they're doing.. Going after Willis makes perfect sense though..

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
so was that Spikes trade still a good idea?Definitely.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Definitely.
Lets see how the draft plays out.

But as of right now we traded a starting strong side LB and a backup QB.. for a 3rd or 4th DT in our rotation.

I wouldn't be saying "definitely"

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Lets see how the draft plays out.

But as of right now we traded a starting strong side LB and a backup QB.. for a 3rd or 4th DT in our rotation.

I wouldn't be saying "definitely"he wanted to leave. So no matter what, it was definitely a good trade. At least we got something back in return .

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Why did he want to leave?

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Why did he want to leave?You tell me , I thought you knew all the answers. BTW, Spikes is not the topic of this thread. Stay on topic before the thread starter get's pissed.

DraftBoy
04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
You tell me , I thought you knew all the answers. BTW, Spikes is not the topic of this thread. Stay on topic before the thread starter get's pissed.

Where did Spikes say he wanted to leave, I may have missed it....

But Im not at all in favor of moving up for Willis, he's good but I dont know that he's this good with many MANY Lb's behind him.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
You tell me , I thought you knew all the answers. BTW, Spikes is not the topic of this thread. Stay on topic before the thread starter get's pissed.
1- Im the thread starter..

2- Possible frustration over the LOSING and what is perceived by many of the vets as a total lack of committment to winning by the owner?

I'm not saying the Spikes deal was an awful one.. yet. We may pick up a pair of talented LB's this weekend. I'm just saying as of right now it's not "definitely" a good trade.

Spikes can boom or bust in Philly.. If he busts, we look like geniuses, if he's back.. We look like ******s.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Where did Spikes say he wanted to leave, I may have missed it....

But Im not at all in favor of moving up for Willis, he's good but I dont know that he's this good with many MANY Lb's behind him.
Do a search. He supposedly asked for a trade in Febuary.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
1- Im the thread starter..

Still no sense of humor I see.

2- Possible frustration over the LOSING and what is perceived by many of the vets as a total lack of committment to winning by the owner?

I'm not saying the Spikes deal was an awful one.. yet. We may pick up a pair of talented LB's this weekend. I'm just saying as of right now it's not "definitely" a good trade.

Spikes can boom or bust in Philly.. If he busts, we look like geniuses, if he's back.. We look like ******s.

If you wanna be technical about it, there's no way of knowing whether if the Spikes trade was a good on until next year after the entire NFL has seen whether he's back to his probowl form. The draft will mean squat because we have yet to see the results on the field by that rookie and Spikes himself.

If he stayed and we didn't draft a lb because of it and he never returns to form, you just wasted $5 million and 1 year. Next year we'd be looking for another lb to replace him and will get nothing for his release. What then draft his replacement?

If he returned to his probowl form while with the bills, he's gone anyways next year. What then? Find his replacement in next years draft and waste another year of trying to develop that lb'er? The only thing we didn't waste is $5 million , but wasted 1 year and get nothing in return for losing him.

Whether or not he stayed for 1 more year, we'll be looking for his replacement next year anyways. Might as well get started now.

Too many questions. Just let him go and start planning towards the future instead of trying to hold on to the past. Yeah I say the past, both his probowl years and the 7 years you keep complaining about.

For someone who keeps complaining about the last 7 years you sure are too busy holding on to the past. It's not like we're talking about a healthy Briggs here. You're talking about a guy who may or may not get back to form.

The Answer
04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
From Homer Brown:

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

DENVER TO SWAP SPOTS WITH HOUSTON?: I've heard from a couple of different sources now that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be calling his former offensive coordinator in Houston this weekend in an attempt to move up from 21 to 10 in round one. He apparently wants Patrick Willis now that Al Wilson has been officially released. Being one spot ahead of San Fran and two spots ahead of Buffalo would pretty much guarantee they'd get Willis.
I like Willis a lot, but I think swapping firsts and giving up their second and third (what it would take) is too steep for one guy, especially when they have big defensive line needs. Shanahan is known as a wheeler dealer on draft weekend, but I just don't see this one happening. I know it's a thin year for LB talent, but if he stays at 21 he should be able to get one of the top 5 LBs in the draft or one of the top 5 DEs.
--- =====================================================
DOnt know about all of this, but one thing is becoming obvious.. Willis is the clear cut number one LB in this draft, and he's not going to just sit there til 12th.. Whether its Buffalo, Denver, Pittsburgh or someone else.. I'm thinking that whomever moves into the 10th spot is going to get him. Houston has no secound rounder Im sure they are dying to move down.

This is somewhat good news - simply because IF Peterson does fall to #10 and Houston trades out, than we don't have to worry about Denver drafting him. Also SF has Frank Gore so count them out.

The Answer has heard a lot of rumors floating around involving Denver trading up as far as #2 so they can grab Calvin Johnson - who knows what to expect from them especially after last years move to land Cutler.

~The Answer