PDA

View Full Version : Sooner or later, and probably sooner..

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Aaron Schobel is going to ask for (and deserve) a contract that's very on par with the one Patrick Kearney signed for with Seattle. that contract calls to pay Kearney $39.5 million over 6 years, with $19.5 million of it guarenteed..

Im hoping this doesnt become an issue until next offseason, but I dont like hearing any these reports, even if they are coming out of Washington as time-killers before the draft. The SECOND that Kelsay signed his deal the first thing I thought was "****, now what the hell is Schobel going to want."

At any rate, he's far and away our best defensive player and since we still have all this cap room sitting there I'd begin working on an extension for him MUCH sooner than later as another Pro Bowl year like last season will only drive his price up. I think Kearney's deal based on productivity is something Schobel is going to expect.

You CANT keep just trading away players for draft picks because they are expensive; unless you want the constant losing and rebuilding to continue.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Aaron Schobel is going to ask for (and deserve) a contract that's very on par with the one Patrick Kearney signed for with Seattle. that contract calls to pay Kearney $39.5 million over 6 years, with $19.5 million of it guarenteed..

Im hoping this doesnt become an issue until next offseason, but I dont like hearing any these reports, even if they are coming out of Washington as time-killers before the draft. The SECOND that Kelsay signed his deal the first thing I thought was "****, now what the hell is Schobel going to want."

At any rate, he's far and away our best defensive player and since we still have all this cap room sitting there I'd begin working on an extension for him MUCH sooner than later as another Pro Bowl year like last season will only drive his price up. I think Kearney's deal based on productivity is something Schobel is going to expect.

You CANT keep just trading away players for draft picks because they are expensive; unless you want the constant losing and rebuilding to continue.

I think they should trade schobel right now is the highest his value will ever be. Now that we don't have Nate for the 6 coverage sacks he has a year, and the fact he's even smaller now makes him a even bigger liablity against the run.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I dont know that they could get equal value for him right now..

And by trading him NOW, coming off the season he had last year.. If that's not the ULTIMATE proof that Buffalo Bills football is about Wilson's wallet first, winning later-- then I dont know what is.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I dont know that they could get equal value for him right now..

And by trading him NOW, coming off the season he had last year.. If that's not the ULTIMATE proof that Buffalo Bills football is about Wilson's wallet first, winning later-- then I dont know what is.

Pat Normally i agree with the cheapness point, "for the record their not trading schobel" but he is a good player but he's pretty overated. His run defense is putrid, and many of his sacks are due to great coverage. Hargrove is a player i would like to see in the rotation, and Denny and Kelsey are stuck with us for a while. I think you could trade schobel, keep the production steady at the position and fill other pressing needs.

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Pat Normally i agree with the cheapness point, "for the record their not trading schobel" but he is a good player but he's pretty overated. His run defense is putrid, and many of his sacks are due to great coverage. Hargrove is a player i would like to see in the rotation, and Denny and Kelsey are stuck with us for a while. I think you could trade schobel, keep the production steady at the position and fill other pressing needs.

camel, I think you're crazy on this one. I understand the logic of trading players that are going to leave anyway, but if you get into a pattern of trading your best players when they're at their peak in value just because they're eventually going to want more money, there's really nowhere to go but down as a franchise. to this end I'm really hoping Pitt holds on to Faneca to set a bit of a precedent for the new cap era.

While we're all about youth at the moment, its because we're trying to create a consistent core of guys to build around in the O and D schemes the new regime prefers. Schobel is a great Cover 2 DE, and we do need to build some consistency in our lineup.

while I don't usually agree with charges of cheapness on Ralph's part, if we chuck Schobel for money reasons I'm going to start.

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm starting to get really worried about what the NFL is going to be like in a few years. It seems like its getting harder and harder for teams to retain their talent.

justasportsfan
04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
was this thread meant to be about Schobel? If so we could've kept it in the other 2 threads about it. Maybe it's a smokescreen so Pat can take a shot about Ralphy being cheap again . :shakeno:

HAMMER
04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
You don't trade him and you don't extend him, he needs to play out at least two more years of the five year contract he signed in Sept. 04. This is just silly.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm starting to get really worried about what the NFL is going to be like in a few years. It seems like its getting harder and harder for teams to retain their talent.

I said almost the same thing in another thread- it's becoming a "win now" league because the cap and the uneven cap expansion makes it really difficult to keep a team together.

Ickybaluky
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I always thought team-building meant keeping your good players. There is some meaningless blurb thrown out in a Washington paper (with no source cited) and some people are ready to deal your best pass rusher.

This is rediculous. Before lumping Schoebel in with the likes of Terrell Owens perhaps you should wait until there is some actual evidence the guy is disgruntled. In the interim, he is a pass rusher who is a cheap (relative) cap value. Those aren't the players you look to dump for some draft picks.

Mudflap1
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
You don't trade him and you don't extend him, he needs to play out at least two more years of the five year contract he signed in Sept. 04. This is just silly.

Exactly right... so let's stop talking about it. It's not going to be an issue for another year or two at the earliest.

Jon

jamze132
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Although I would hate to see Schobel leave, if he must I wonder if a team in the top 15 would be willing to trade their 1st for him and one of our 3rd's?

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 11:49 AM
It becomes an issue the SECOND Schobel decides to make it an issue..

Hopefully it doesnt become one.. Schobel til this point hasnt been a 'me first' kind of guy.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
It becomes an issue the SECOND Schobel decides to make it an issue..

Hopefully it doesnt become one.. Schobel til this point hasnt been a 'me first' kind of guy.

But to this point, he hasn't had millions of dollars being waved in his face. We're talking a contract that could be worth more than most of us posting here will make in our entire lifetime. That much money can make people act in weird ways.

HAMMER
04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh the drama, give it up guys. Marv and co will not cave to Schobel even if he asked for more money. You can't set precedents like this or you will have no money for future players. Let's put this to bed please.

OpIv37
04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh the drama, give it up guys. Marv and co will not cave to Schobel even if he asked for more money. You can't set precedents like this or you will have no money for future players. Let's put this to bed please.

we'll put it to bed- til January when Schobel starts crying for more money.

patmoran2006
04-25-2007, 12:07 PM
So Schobel's supposed to just shut up and go to work, when the bum that lines up on the opposite of him is making almost double of what he makes?

IM assuming our FO was smart enough to sign Kelsay already knowing within the next 12 months they'll have to renegotiate with Schobel.. IF not they they should've let Kelsay walk and drafted a DE.. Which money issues aside I've contended they should've all along.

The way this draft is shaping up, its looking more and more like Jamaal Anderson or Carriker would've been the best pick for us at #12.

Schobel is 5x the player Kelsay will ever be.

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm hoping you're right. cave to one guy and you'll have 9 holding out the next year.

HAMMER
04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
we'll put it to bed- til January when Schobel starts crying for more money.

Thanks, at least I'll have a little more peace until January.

EDS
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I think they should trade schobel right now is the highest his value will ever be. Now that we don't have Nate for the 6 coverage sacks he has a year, and the fact he's even smaller now makes him a even bigger liablity against the run.

Schobel is the Bills best defensive player. It would be stupid to trade him.

camelcowboy
04-25-2007, 04:39 PM
camel, I think you're crazy on this one. I understand the logic of trading players that are going to leave anyway, but if you get into a pattern of trading your best players when they're at their peak in value just because they're eventually going to want more money, there's really nowhere to go but down as a franchise. to this end I'm really hoping Pitt holds on to Faneca to set a bit of a precedent for the new cap era.

While we're all about youth at the moment, its because we're trying to create a consistent core of guys to build around in the O and D schemes the new regime prefers. Schobel is a great Cover 2 DE, and we do need to build some consistency in our lineup.

while I don't usually agree with charges of cheapness on Ralph's part, if we chuck Schobel for money reasons I'm going to start. Im not advocating the trading of schobel, im just saying if it were to happen i could see the logic. Schobel in my mind compares alot to grant winstrom, very high motor but he's going to reach appoint where his average athletic ability catches up with him and he hits the wall. All im saying that after the season he had this year you could sell im at his highest point which makes a far better trade then us dumping willis or spikes. That being said i do feel that we should fill our holes before making new ones. In the end you have to question how much does schobel have in the tank, is he worth more money after the next couple years?

Night Train
04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
What if Willis and Okoye are gone at #12 and DE Jamaal Anderson is still on the board ?

The Answer
04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
The Answer is more concerned about Lee Evans at this point than Schobel - enjoy them both while it lasts......

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Schobel is the Bills best defensive player. It would be stupid to trade him.

The best defensive player on the Bills is the equvalent of above average on most decent teams.

Schobel, to me, is very overrated. He very rarely commands a double team and that says about everything you need to know.

Good player, glad we have him, but not great.